Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Glad to see Roenicke doing so well. He was a favorite of mine with the Reds, although at some point it became clear he was trade bait. Roenicke was touted as a closer type, but has developed into a multi-inning middle reliever.

Given the Rockies pitching this year, an innings eating reliever will get a bit of work. Josh taking advantage of the opportunity.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    LOL. No, that wasn't directed at you (or in reference to Torreyes either), just a general thing that bugs me. "Trying" to take a walk implies that you're looking to NOT get a hit.
    A great leadoff hitter knows how to 'lean into' a few pitches. Also, most major league hitters go to the plate with a plan (i.e., looking for something middle-in, sitting on a fastball, etc.) and often times that plan means taking an early strike if it's not 'your' pitch. Usually the plan changes when you get two strikes (or sometimes with just one) to include the strike zone and anything close enough to be called a strike. That doesn't mean he's trying to walk, just that he's more likely to walk than a guy who swings at anything that looks close from the beginning of the at bat. My

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Glad to see Roenicke doing so well. He was a favorite of mine with the Reds, although at some point it became clear he was trade bait. Roenicke was touted as a closer type, but has developed into a multi-inning middle reliever.

Given the Rockies pitching this year, an innings eating reliever will get a bit of work. Josh taking advantage of the opportunity.
    Some pitchers seem to be able to make it work out there. Matt Belisle is another ex-Red who has thrived in the rarified air.
    (Numbers aside, he's making $3.8 mm this year...that's thriving)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Update 8-30-12:
    It has to be done....

Chris Denorfia...San Diego 291/348/444 in 300 plate appearances playing centerfield.

and

Adam Dunn Chicago 204/335/484 with 38 homers/92 BB and 188 K's.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Years ago, as Chris Denorfia was coming through the Red minor league pipeline, I insisted he's be a more than serviceable major league player, a likely league average or better bat that would play CF.

Injuries derailed his career, but, eventually, he's carved a very, very nice career for himself in San Diego. Love guys like that get just about everything out of their natural talent by working hard, hustling, and having a high baseball IQ.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Since this is about ex-reds....

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...st-paul-janish

We point this out, because it’s the only thing that Janish did wrong on the defensive side in 28 games this month. In fact, in the other 388 innings that Janish has played this season he’s been credited with NO OTHER Defensive Misplays (BIS has 50+ categories to choose from) and has just one error.
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...37471&c_id=mlb

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

In case you missed it....

Edwin Encarnacion hit a baseball a nautical mile on Saturday - http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...91923&c_id=mlb

Just a reminder of how lucky we are. Volquez's last outing was typical of Edinson away from the friendly confines of Petco. Throwing (and I mean throwing) 86 pitches in 4.1 innings, he allowed nine hits and five runs, walking three. Of course he struck out five, but the point is compared to Mat Latos, and even with the loss of Alonso and that catcher who makes Mes look bad right now, it's not worth the aggravation of having him around.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    In case you missed it....

Edwin Encarnacion hit a baseball a nautical mile on Saturday - http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...91923&c_id=mlb
    That was his 37th HR of the year. I knew he was having a very good season, but wow! Go EE!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I think Edwin has been seeing the same "doctor" as Melky. Any Reds fan who watched Edwin knows exactly what's going on here. That's about all that needs to be said.

Reminds me of when Bret Boone suddenly became a 35+ HR guy in Seattle. Haha. Have to be blind to not see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I think Edwin has been seeing the same "doctor" as Melky. Any Reds fan who watched Edwin knows exactly what's going on here. That's about all that needs to be said.

Reminds me of when Bret Boone suddenly became a 35+ HR guy in Seattle. Haha. Have to be blind to not see what's going on.
    When asked to name the 2 guys in recent guys who have gone from average to super-sluggers...I think Jose Bautisa and EE are at the top of the list. And they are teammates. So unless something is in the water in Toronto, it may be a situation worth monitoring (nothing more, nothing less) if you are MLB. But until busted, nothing you can really do about it.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Nah. EE just works out and lifts weights. That's all it is.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Is Edwin really much larger now than he was?

He has always had above-average power potential. I don't know that I buy the "stuff" connection. Why wasn't he using it for 2010 or 2011? He was with Toronto then too.

Right now he is a guy in his prime, who has always had above average power potential, playing in a very home run friendly environment.

Would I have believed you 6 years ago if you told me he would hit 45 in a season? I would have found it unlikely. But if you said he would hit 35? Yeah, I would have believed that all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Is Edwin really much larger now than he was?

He has always had above-average power potential. I don't know that I buy the "stuff" connection. Why wasn't he using it for 2010 or 2011? He was with Toronto then too.

Right now he is a guy in his prime, who has always had above average power potential, playing in a very home run friendly environment.

Would I have believed you 6 years ago if you told me he would hit 45 in a season? I would have found it unlikely. But if you said he would hit 35? Yeah, I would have believed that all day long.
    Melky didn't look bigger. I imagine the "stuff" being used today isn't the same stuff used earlier. HGH, for instance, doesn't make you bigger, just quicker. I think we are naive to think the steroid era actually ended.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think we are naive to think the steroid era actually ended.
    This. And there are those who want us to forget it already.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?