Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 68 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    I had no idea what you were talking about so I went and searched the internet and found the ESPN mag article talking about the sign stealing allegations. Somehow I missed this last season.

I'm not a conspriacy theory kind of guy, but it is weird.
    It's even better when you hear about how the Blue Jays "fixed" something in their swing to account for the spike in performance. Kind of like how we used to hear so much about the legendary workout regimens of Bonds and Clemens.

Maybe EdE figured it out...but I have my doubts. I do think we have reason to believe that he wouldn't be having that same success in Cincy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    MLB hitting coaches don't develop guys. By the time they get their hands on these guys, they are generally developed. The guys we expected to hit, have. The guys we expected not to, haven't. I can' see that going on the hitting coach one way or the other. Do you see him as failing to do something? If so, what.
    So the adjustments Kevin Long made with Curtis Granderson or the ones that have been made with EE...cannot be made to help someone like Heisey....who could probably use them? I know Stubbs cannot just be taught to learn pitch selection and recognition. I know when I played through college...I stalled after 2 years because of my inability to decipher a slider. I could always work a count and recognize a curveball..but not a slider. I pretty much put myself in knots and would then start taking strikes and swinging at balls. I peaked as a Juan Castro type in college.
    Stance wise though.... I always made some adjustments to help myself and so did the hitting coach. Yes,...it is only college...but we were also told as early as 1986 to work the count on any new pitcher.

The philosophy in Boston is a prefect example..... Darnell McDonald goes there and he actually works counts. Does not go up there swinging all the time. Darnell McDonald may not walk a lot more but he is not up there hacking. How does he learn to do that?

You know the people in this organization better. If you say it is through Baker that these hitters get their hitting philosophy...then Jacoby is just some puppet mouthpiece?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    It's even better when you hear about how the Blue Jays "fixed" something in their swing to account for the spike in performance. Kind of like how we used to hear so much about the legendary workout regimens of Bonds and Clemens.

Maybe EdE figured it out...but I have my doubts. I do think we have reason to believe that he wouldn't be having that same success in Cincy.
    I guess if we dislike a player and he puts up some good numbers It means he has to be cheating. He has to be cheating I know because I don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    So the adjustments Kevin Long made with Curtis Granderson or the ones that have been made with EE...cannot be made to help someone like Heisey....who could probably use them? I know Stubbs cannot just be taught to learn pitch selection and recognition. I know when I played through college...I stalled after 2 years because of my inability to decipher a slider. I could always work a count and recognize a curveball..but not a slider. I pretty much put myself in knots and would then start taking strikes and swinging at balls. I peaked as a Juan Castro type in college.
    Some guys can and do make changes that work. Most guys generally don't. And really, until the player wants to accept the changes and fully buy in, the coach can try to make them until they are blue in the face.

The philosophy in Boston is a prefect example..... Darnell McDonald goes there and he actually works counts. Does not go up there swinging all the time. Darnell McDonald may not walk a lot more but he is not up there hacking. How does he learn to do that?
    McDonald had his first real exposure to the Majors as a Red. Ever since he left, he has done better, but it is pretty much in line with what he did in the minors. My guess is that he was just pressing given it was his first real exposure and he wanted to try and do too much.

You know the people in this organization better. If you say it is through Baker that these hitters get their hitting philosophy...then Jacoby is just some puppet mouthpiece?
    I don't really know much about that side of things. I will say that it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Dusty is preaching aggressiveness and it leads to some guys hacking. But Dusty has also managed Barry Bonds and Joey Votto, who didn't seem to have that issue.

The philosophy's of Boston, New York, and even Texas now are philosophy's that every team should try and mirror. They all work the starter to death to try and get into the bullpen. Thats there goal. They don't want the starter going more than 5 innings. I wish the Reds could do this. I think this offense would improve greatly. Im not saying take every pitch you see but they cannot be afraid to hit with 2 strikes. Votto seems to be the only red that understands this concept

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I guess if we dislike a player and he puts up some good numbers It means he has to be cheating. He has to be cheating I know because I don't like him.
    I had no idea that I disliked Edwin.

Torreyes is 1 for his last 21 and his average is back down to .215 on the year, Sappelt continues to struggle as well. Wood has an ERA over 5 at the moment.

Francisco is 2 for his last 26 and his OBP is down to .238.

JJ Hoover has yet to give up a hit or run in 4 innings.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...-batting.shtml

Grandal is back from his hamstring issue and is hitting well still though he has yet to make it in 10 games for the year.
    Alonso is hitting .286 over his last 10 games and has his OPS up to .659 on the year.
    Volquez has an era of 2.92 in 37 innings with 18 bb's and 33 k's in the 6 starts.
    Last edited by klw; 05-03-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Sappelt has 8 walks and 13 strikeouts in 96 PA's with some flash of power. He is going to be just fine once his BABIP normalizes.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sappelt has 8 walks and 13 strikeouts in 96 PA's with some flash of power. He is going to be just fine once his BABIP normalizes.
    I must admit I am rooting for Sappelt and Torreyes even though they are not in the Reds system anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Fred Lewis
    Willy Tavares
    Corey Patterson
    Ryan Ludwick

Great signings by Walt.
    Walt did not sign Patterson. WayneK did that.
    Wily, I'll give you.
    Fred Lewis was a backup player, and paid as much.. you might as well complain about any of the 25th men on the bench. 900k (or whatever they paid Lewis) does not go far.

Jury is still out on Ludwick. His average has been bad, but he's gotten a few really key hits and RBIs. Doesn't mean he will continue to be "clutch", but it's too early to call him a disaster yet.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I know Stubbs cannot just be taught to learn pitch selection and recognition. I know when I played through college...I stalled after 2 years because of my inability to decipher a slider.
    My nickname was "6-3" because anything with a wrinkle was a two-hopper to the shortstop.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Walt did not sign Patterson. WayneK did that.
    Wily, I'll give you.
    Fred Lewis was a backup player, and paid as much.. you might as well complain about any of the 25th men on the bench. 900k (or whatever they paid Lewis) does not go far.

Jury is still out on Ludwick. His average has been bad, but he's gotten a few really key hits and RBIs. Doesn't mean he will continue to be "clutch", but it's too early to call him a disaster yet.
    Freddie Lewis had a .342 OBP against righties last year for the Reds. Didn't hit for power, but got on base at a decent clip.

Wouldn't be a terrible guy right now for the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Freddie Lewis had a .342 OBP against righties last year for the Reds. Didn't hit for power, but got on base at a decent clip.

Wouldn't be a terrible guy right now for the bench.
    Where'd he sign on? I'd certainly prefer him to Harris. Not to mention the much maligned Nix of the prior years.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Where'd he sign on? I'd certainly prefer him to Harris. Not to mention the much maligned Nix of the prior years.
    Minor league deal with the Mets a few weeks ago. He's in Triple A Buffalo.
    Hide your power alleys; Hide your wife

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Nix went deep for the Phils today.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?