Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I'm still shaking my head at pinch-running Kip Wells for Alonso. I understand the reasoning, but still...if he's that slow now, how slow is Alonso going to be when he's 30? 33? I can't believe any rational Reds fan thinks Alonso could have stuck in LF.
    I went to a couple of games where he played left last year, and he was getting decent enough jumps on balls to where he could make some plays, but he may be as slow as Casey or slower. Anything blooped or down the line I don't think would have been good. I really only saw him make routine plays, but he made them well, if he could get to it.

Of course, two games isn't near enough to have a definitive answer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Matt Maloney just tweated that he's done for the season, needing Tommy John surgery.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Adam Dunn hit career Home Run number 393 to tie Redszone favorite Jim Edmonds for 54th place on the All Time list.

No truth to the rumor that Edmonds made a diving stab at the phone in order to call Adam with kudos.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

NL Central champs

Edinson Volquez threw a 1 hit shutout tonight, with the only hit being an infield single in the fourth inning. He walked 3 and had 5 strikeouts.
    Last edited by VottoFan54; 07-20-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    Edinson Volquez threw a 1 hit shutout tonight, with the only hit being an infield single in the fourth inning. He walked 3 and had 5 strikeouts.
    Lucky duck. See how many of those he gets. BTW, he contributed to that with a poor fielding try on the infield hit. And it was the Astros in Petco. Sorry, I'm glad SD has him.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Ron Torreyes is still rebounding from a horrific start in the FSL, a notorious pitchers league. His line is .253/.320/.367/.687 as he has been getting a little time at shortstop in addition to second base.

Dave Sappelt's line in the PCL (an extreme hitters league) is an underwhelming .255/.314/.342/.656. He has played more in right field than anywhere else, but that's largely due to their top prospect, Brett Jackson (who's striking out 33.2% of the time), being deemed their center fielder of the future.

Travis Wood has been homer-prone (10 allowed in 66.2 IP), but his overall numbers are decent (3.92 ERA, 1.200 WHIP).

Yonder Alonso leads the NL in games at first base as well as errors as a first baseman. His line is .269/.351/.381/.733, so his power numbers aren't all that impressive. They might end up regretting their decision to stick with Alonso over Anthony Rizzo, who has been excellent in Chicago.

Brad Boxberger has been missing bats in AAA, but that tends to happen when you don't throw it over the plate (19 walks, 47 strikeouts in 34.1 IP).

Yasmani Grandal has yet to take his first walk after 16 games. However, he threw out his 2nd runner of the year tonight, which means he has caught just 10% of attempted base stealers (2 out of 20).

Edinson Volquez leads the NL in walks, and it makes you wonder if he'd be a reliever if he weren't pitching in PetCo Park. However, the Padres are 10-10 when Volquez starts and just 29-45 when he doesn't.

Justin Germano, of one start for the Reds fame, has resurfaced in a Cubs uniform. He may even get a start or two if they trade Dempster.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Justin Germano, of one start for the Reds fame, has resurfaced in a Cubs uniform. He may even get a start or two if they trade Dempster.
    Apparently Dempster has been pulled from his start, so Germano may go tonight.

Cards missed Cueto on Sunday due to a blister, Greinke on Thursday (getting re-charged) and now Dempster.

They lost the first two.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 07-20-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yonder Alonso leads the NL in games at first base as well as errors as a first baseman. His line is .269/.351/.381/.733, so his power numbers aren't all that impressive. They might end up regretting their decision to stick with Alonso over Anthony Rizzo, who has been excellent in Chicago.
    If Alonso plays a long time with the Padres, I think he'll continue to be a doubles machine. He seems to have adapted to that park well, don't you think? It wouldn't shock me that Alonso ends up being the face of the Padres.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    If Alonso plays a long time with the Padres, I think he'll continue to be a doubles machine. He seems to have adapted to that park well, don't you think? It wouldn't shock me that Alonso ends up being the face of the Padres.
    Yeah, I view Alonso as a Larry Walker/Keith Hernandez type of hitter. Good average, lots of line drives.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Yeah, I view Alonso as a Larry Walker/Keith Hernandez type of hitter. Good average, lots of line drives.
    Yonder Alonso couldn't sniff Larry Walker's jock.

Alonso's a good stick at a position that demands a great one.

He also has an iron glove.

He's a latter-career post-surgery Sean Casey.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Agreed!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Hernandez's glove elevate's him far above Yonder as well.

Yonder??

He'll be lucky to have Driessen's career

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Put Alonso in a ballpark that isn't the size of Yellowstone and he is Sean Casey who hit .300/.400/.500 with 40 doubles and 25 home runs. That of course isn't even close to Larry Walker though.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Put Alonso in a ballpark that isn't the size of Yellowstone and he is Sean Casey who hit .300/.400/.500 with 40 doubles and 25 home runs. That of course isn't even close to Larry Walker though.
    Alonso's park adjusted metrics just arent that good! He's on pace to be just over a 1 WAR player. How is a different ballpark going to impove his OBP? He's presumably going to walk a comparable amount, and his BAPIP is already .321. That's a lot of extra homers he needs to get to be a .400 OBP player (of which only 10 guys in the majors are doing right now).

He's better than his stats indicate, but I think at this point, he'd be happy to have Sean Casey's career.

Turn Off Ads?