Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

I have to admit that when we play the Padres it bothers the heck out of me to see Alonso, Grandal, Boxberger and Volquez do well. Seems like they've kind of gotten the best of us so far. Annoying.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I have to admit that when we play the Padres it bothers the heck out of me to see Alonso, Grandal, Boxberger and Volquez do well. Seems like they've kind of gotten the best of us so far. Annoying.
    And then I remember that Latos is 24, controllable for the near future, adjusting nicely with 9 wins and an ERA that is declining, and that Alonso is a bench player on this Reds team, Volquez is shell-shocked by this time of the season from GAPB, and Grandal and BreadBox would be in Louisville.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

And the Reds are 20 games over .500 and in first place, while the Pirates are 16 games under .500 and in 4th place.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    And the Reds are 20 games over .500 and in first place, while the Pirates are 16 games under .500 and in 4th place.
    Don't we wish...
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

We took 3 of 4 from them in Petco, Alonso was quiet, Grandal had a decent series, Volquez reminded me why I could hardly watch games he pitched last night, and Boxberger just got called up. Last night was the inevitable loss.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Alonso, 25, San Diego, .268/.343/.389/.732
    Grandal, 23, San Diego, .312/.349/.597/.946 - 83 PA
    Volquez, 28, San Diego, 3.44 ERA, 4.01 FIP
    Boxberger, 24, San Diego, 1.17 ERA, 3.72 FIP - 7 IP

Torreyes, 19, A+, .265/.327/.389/.716
    Sappelt, 25, AAA, .254 /.313/.344/.657
    Wood, 25, Cubs, 4.98 ERA, 5.85 FIP

Still looks like Grandal is/was the gem in the deal. I don't really miss Alonso other than he could be a valuable LH bat off the bench. As much as the Reds need one of those, I'd take a #2 SP over that every day of the week.

Will be interesting to see how Grandal and Mesoraco stack up next season.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Still looks like Grandal is/was the gem in the deal. I don't really miss Alonso other than he could be a valuable LH bat off the bench. As much as the Reds need one of those, I'd take a #2 SP over that every day of the week.

Mesoraco has the Hulk Smash. He will always be better than Grandal.

You wouldn't like him when he's angry...

You guys need to read and understand better. I said nothing about the Padres getting the better of the trade. I've been on record as saying it was a wash.

All I said is I root for the guys we traded to not do well. I hate being that way, but I'm competitive and I don't want to see any of them become studs and have to listen to crap down the road about how the Reds gave up too much.

But for the record, Grandal and Alonso were blocked.......so we didn't need them. Boxberger is a decent reliever. Reds bullpen is the best or one of the best in mlb, so we didn't need him either. Volquez is Volquez........a headcase. I have no problem with the trade, but still don't want to see any of them have ALOT OF SUCCESS. Especially against the Reds.

You guys need to read and understand better. I said nothing about the Padres getting the better of the trade. I've been on record as saying it was a wash.

All I said is I root for the guys we traded to not do well. I hate being that way, but I'm competitive and I don't want to see any of them become studs and have to listen to crap down the road about how the Reds gave up too much.

But for the record, Grandal and Alonso were blocked.......so we didn't need them. Boxberger is a decent reliever. Reds bullpen is the best or one of the best in mlb, so we didn't need him either. Volquez is Volquez........a headcase. I have no problem with the trade, but still don't want to see any of them have ALOT OF SUCCESS. Especially against the Reds.
    Yes, they were blocked. The question isn't should we have traded them but did we get "our money's worth" for them? Seems to me that the Pads would have a rough time fielding a team without all those ex Reds. Because of that trade we really don't have much bait to offer in a deadline deal today.

As long as Latos continues to pitch like a #2, we did OK. I still tend to think we gave up one player too much

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

If Alonso could play the Reds everyday of his career he would be a Hall of Famer.

Strange to me how my comment about wanting to see ex-Reds traded to the Padres not do too well, with no comment on the trade overall, turns into a dredging up of the trade for Latos re-discussion.

You post this:

and then get upset because it results in a discussion about the Latos trade? The way I see it, you have two options: (1) if you claim you're being misconstrued, express yourself better; or, (2) don't complain when comments like this generate discussion of the trade for Latos. No one is dredging up old threads here. You initiated the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

I think I'd rather have Boxberger back than any, still not sold on Grandal staying behind the plate for more than a few years.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    You post this:

and then get upset because it results in a discussion about the Latos trade? The way I see it, you have two options: (1) if you claim you're being misconstrued, express yourself better; or, (2) don't complain when comments like this generate discussion of the trade for Latos. No one is dredging up old threads here. You initiated the discussion.
    Yes, I was misconstrued.

My original post had nothing to do with the trade. "Getting the best of us" meant they were doing well against us, hitting/pitching etc, results in the boxscore. Nothing more, nothing less. It had nothing to do with the trade.

But enjoy pointing your finger.

Turn Off Ads?