Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

I've had EdE starting on my Fantasy Team all year.... (Great move, huh?)

But, he has been healthy ALL year... I think splitting time between DH/1B has done him wonders... Its given him a ton of confidence at the plate not having to deal with his defense issues and such...
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Melky didn't look bigger. I imagine the "stuff" being used today isn't the same stuff used earlier. HGH, for instance, doesn't make you bigger, just quicker. I think we are naive to think the steroid era actually ended.
    Did the 'stuff' really do something for Melky, or was it his BABIP being .379 that made his numbers look great? His career BABIP is currently at .309, and that includes this year. His peripherals look pretty much in line with what we have seen from him in other parts of his career. His power is up a tad, but he is also now 27 years old, so a .170 IsoP up from a previous high of .140 (before he got to San Fran, it was .165 in 2011) isn't really anything to suggest performance enhancers.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Did the 'stuff' really do something for Melky, or was it his BABIP being .379 that made his numbers look great? His career BABIP is currently at .309, and that includes this year. His peripherals look pretty much in line with what we have seen from him in other parts of his career. His power is up a tad, but he is also now 27 years old, so a .170 IsoP up from a previous high of .140 (before he got to San Fran, it was .165 in 2011) isn't really anything to suggest performance enhancers.
    Performance aside, I think the Melky comp was in reference to your "EE doesn't look bigger" remark. It was simply saying that by using PED's you don't necessarily look bigger. You may have a case based on EE simply reaching his ceiling, but I wouldn't use EE's size to "rule out" (<---for lack of a better term) PEDs.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Performance aside, I think the Melky comp was in reference to your "EE doesn't look bigger" remark. It was simply saying that by using PED's you don't necessarily look bigger. You may have a case based on EE simply reaching his ceiling, but I wouldn't use EE's size to "rule out" (<---for lack of a better term) PEDs.
    Sure, but my comment was in reference to "EE is just lifting more" by Vottomatic.

Sure, but my comment was in reference to "EE is just lifting more" by Vottomatic.
    Got it.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Not worthy of a thread of it's own, but I saw this video interview with Dunner and just thought you'd all get a kick out of it. Funny stuff.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:8294782

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I was just kidding Doug.

EE is one of my favorite former Reds. Liked him when he was here, and thought he over-maligned by the fans. A guy who I thought would eventually put it all together, who maybe got traded before his potential matured into reality.

But it's all a moot point now.

This interesting piece from ESPN's "Elias Says" blog regarding Alonso's grand slam

From Elias: Imagine hitting a first-inning grand-slam home run - and when you touch home plate, you look up at the scoreboard and find that your team is still trailing! That's what happened on Friday night to Padres first baseman Yonder Alonso, who responded to the Rockies' five-run top of the first with a four-run blow. But those were the only runs that San Diego would score as Colorado won, 7-4.

But back to Alonso. He became the first major-leaguer in 53 years to hit a first-inning grand-slam and find his team trailing when he returned to his dugout. The last player to do that was Bob Cerv of the Kansas City A's on July 3, 1959; he connected off Cleveland's Herb Score after the Tribe had scored five times in the top of the first. Like Alonso's Padres, Cerv's Athletics never scored again, and Score wound up with a complete-game victory, 8-4.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Well, back to EdE.. I heard on the radio (I don't know who said this)
    EdE is crediting his power surge to an adjustment that made his swing shorter.
    Honestly, I don't know if this is true or not, but thought I'd pass it on.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Alonso update. 4 for 5 with a BB and 2 RBI's yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, back to EdE.. I heard on the radio (I don't know who said this)
    EdE is crediting his power surge to an adjustment that made his swing shorter.
    Honestly, I don't know if this is true or not, but thought I'd pass it on.
    I saw an article earlier this year that said he now keeps both hands on his bat all the way through his swing instead of letting one hand come off like he used to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    I saw an article earlier this year that said he now keeps both hands on his bat all the way through his swing instead of letting one hand come off like he used to do here.
    Can we trade Brook Jacoby for Dwayne Murphy?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    This. And there are those who want us to forget it already.
    Yeah. And it seems like some teams are more ahead of the curve than others in that area. Toronto definitely. St. Louis is another one.

But, at the same time, we've heard Toronto has elaborate systems for stealing pitchers signs so it could be something like that instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Yeah. And it seems like some teams are more ahead of the curve than others in that area. Toronto definitely. St. Louis is another one.

But, at the same time, we've heard Toronto has elaborate systems for stealing pitchers signs so it could be something like that instead.
    Is there a point where you would not consider it a problem anymore? A high profile player just got busted for 50 games in a playoff chase, so it's not like MLB is still afraid to address the issue. How is it easier to believe that guys like Jose Bautista and Edwin are taking PED's that no one knows about, don't build any noticeable muscle, and don't show up on tests? I'm not expert on PED's, so maybe I'm naive, but this wonder drug seems a little far-fetched to me. And if it existed, wouldn't it be rampant throughout the league?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Is there a point where you would not consider it a problem anymore? A high profile player just got busted for 50 games in a playoff chase, so it's not like MLB is still afraid to address the issue. How is it easier to believe that guys like Jose Bautista and Edwin are taking PED's that no one knows about, don't build any noticeable muscle, and don't show up on tests? I'm not expert on PED's, so maybe I'm naive, but this wonder drug seems a little far-fetched to me. And if it existed, wouldn't it be rampant throughout the league?
    Couldn't tell you. Some people might just have connections or methods to beat the system, and would rather not reveal them to maintain the competitive edge.

There is more to building strength than just bulking up though. The eye test is probably the worst judge of whether or not someone juiced tbh. The ability to recover better and quicker makes a big difference.

If I had to guess though I'd owe it more to sign stealing than anything else. I re-read that ESPN piece where they investigated the possibility of sign stealing in Rogers Centre and the numbers were eye popping.

Turn Off Ads?