Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/pos...um=twitter

In less than three weeks, Wood has gone from starting rotation candidate to a spot at Triple-A Iowa, and that decision was probably made even before he took the mound Monday. Wood still has a minor-league option remaining, but even if he didn’t it probably wouldn’t be an issue at this point to get him through waivers.

“It’s still not that full package to be able to get through big-league hitters using the changeup, throwing it for strikes and the breaking ball,” manager Dale Sveum said. “I still don’t think the cutter is where it needs to be and where I’ve seen it before. I thought the life was there on some pitches but it was just another unfortunate outing.”

Among those issues, Wood has also been having trouble with his command on the first-base side of home plate.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Here's a question. If anyone could, would they undo either the Latos or Marshall deals?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Here's a question. If anyone could, would they undo either the Latos or Marshall deals?
    The Latos deal on paper is the best trade I can remember a Reds GM making.

Marshall deal was a no brainer for myself also. I think Travis Wood has lost all confidence in his ability to get major league hitters out. I have serious doubt if we ever see him pitch above replacement level.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would undo the Marshall deal. I would do the Latos deal a million times a day if I could.

Steak for burgers and fries

Every day I make that trade with the roster the Reds had in the late fall

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I would undo the Marshall deal. I would do the Latos deal a million times a day if I could.
    Really? Because of one of the players they traded, or the combination? I think with the extension, the Reds did pretty darn well.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Really? Because of one of the players they traded, or the combination? I think with the extension, the Reds did pretty darn well.
    Because of the combo. I just think it was entirely too much to give up considering what the going price was for Sergio Santos. Sure, Santos isn't quite as good, but he is still a well above average reliever and he was under control for 4 times as long. He cost much less than Marshall did.

Because of the combo. I just think it was entirely too much to give up considering what the going price was for Sergio Santos. Sure, Santos isn't quite as good, but he is still a well above average reliever and he was under control for 4 times as long. He cost much less than Marshall did.
    I can see that. I guess, because Marshall is LH, and you know Dusty and Walt love them some vets.
    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Travis Woods' struggles this spring are making me feel better about that deal.

The player I really hated to see go was Torreyes, but that was in part because he had become a real favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He also carries a lot more risk.

He also carries a lot more risk.
    I don't know if I can agree with that. Marshall has more of a track record, but the current Marshall we know has only been around for two years as the dominant reliever. Santos has two years under his belt with a 3.29 ERA in the American League.

I didn't care for the Marshall deal at the time, mainly b/c of the 1 year left on his contract. Now that he's been extended, and perhaps they had a good idea a deal could get done, similar to Scott Rolen, I'd do the deal every day. I hate lossing Torreyes, dude has put up awesome stats every step of the way, but seeing him in person, he's just so beyond tiney, you question if he'll make it at the upper stages of the minors and in the majors. I enjoyed watching him defy scouting standards, and am interested to see how he progresses in the cubs organization.

I didn't care for the Marshall deal at the time, mainly b/c of the 1 year left on his contract. Now that he's been extended, and perhaps they had a good idea a deal could get done, similar to Scott Rolen, I'd do the deal every day. I hate lossing Torreyes, dude has put up awesome stats every step of the way, but seeing him in person, he's just so beyond tiney, you question if he'll make it at the upper stages of the minors and in the majors. I enjoyed watching him defy scouting standards, and am interested to see how he progresses in the cubs organization.

Interesting article on the Alonso and Grandal's common Cuba ties on ESPN.

But in Miami, those concerns have vanished. The conversations have been transformed, and tend to focus on the up-and-coming careers of the sons in each family, Yonder Alonso and Yasmani Grandal of the San Diego Padres.

Thousands of miles away, the two sons, whose fates seem intertwined, are in Arizona with dreams of spending the next decade on a major league field together. It's the embodiment of the Cuban-American dream, and their success was only possible because of the sacrifices made by two sets of families that occasionally, and coincidentally, meet.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I would make both trades every day of the week and twice on Sunday, with one exception.

Giving up Grandal is a real risk by the Reds. Switch hitting catchers at Grandal's talent level are a valuable commodity. Maybe Mesoraco will make us all forget Grandal, we'll see, but it's not a given.

Turn Off Ads?