Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I don't know how this all started, but we're way off topic. I'm done derailing the thread. If somebody wants to start another thread, OK, but I don't see what else there is to say about the Casey-Wiliams situation.

Sorry for derailing.
    How about ending the tangent with everyone regardless of their feelings about Casey agreeing that it was a deal that worked out for the Reds.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Torreyes up to AA now. Still the one that got away IMO.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=591720

.321/.418/.411/.829

He doesn't have power, but he does have skills this club is sorely lacking. Solid defender, speed, hits for average, unreal contact ability, doesn't strikeout and excellent walk rate. Ummm...why did we include him again?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Torreyes up to AA now. Still the one that got away IMO.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=591720

.321/.418/.411/.829

He doesn't have power, but he does have skills this club is sorely lacking. Solid defender, speed, hits for average, unreal contact ability, doesn't strikeout and excellent walk rate. Ummm...why did we include him again?
    You trade enough prospects for players...one of the ones you trade is going to stick. I like Marshall a lot. I wish Wood and Sappelt would have been enough or they could have included someone else but good thing it was not Gregorious.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Yeah I know. Doesn't change me wishing otherwise. *sigh*

Agree... Torreyes was one of my favorites in the farm when he got dealt.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Update 5-6-13:

Ronald Torreyes - (Cubs minors - AA) .317, 19 games, 4 hits, 8 walks

Dave Sappelt - (Cubs) 45 at-bats, .178

Travis Wood - (Cubs) 2-2, 2.50 e.r.a., 6 starts, 39.2 IP, 24 hits, 26 K, 12 BB

Juan Francisco - (Braves) - 68 at-bats, .294, 4 HR's, 26 K's, 3 BB, .809 OPS

Brad Boxberger - Padres - 2 IP, 4 K's, 0.00 e.r.a. 0 BB

Yasmani Grandal - Padres - suspended

Yonder Alonso - Padres - 111 at-bats, .279 average, 4 HR's, .785 OPs

Edison Volquez - Padres - 3-3, 5.50 e.r.a., 37.2 IP, 45 hits, 21 K, 16 BB

Paul Janish - triple A Braves - 24 at-bats, .208 average

Donnie Joseph - KC triple A - 11 games, 11 IP, 7 hits, 3.27 e.r.a., 18 K's, 6 BB

JC Sulbaran - KC double A - 10.93 e.r.a., 6 games, 14 IP, 1.92 WHIP

Chris Dickerson - Baltimore - 13 at-bats, .308

Adam Rosales - Oakland A's - 36 at-bats, .278, .750 OPS

Jeremy Horst - Phillies - 6.59 e.r.a., 13.2 IP, 19 hits, 7 K, 4 BB

Jonny Gomes - Boston 50 at-bats, .220

Edwin Encarnacion - .223, 9 HR's, 32 games

Zach Stewart (future Cy Young Winner) - CWS AAA, 6 starts, 4.66 e.r.a., 36.2 IP, 42 hits, 23 K, 8 BB

Josh Roenicke - Twins - 10 games, 1.29 e.r.a., 14 IP, 9 hits, 10 K's

Adam Dunn - White Sox - 103 at-bats, .146 average, 6 HR's

Chris Denorfia - Padres - .302, 2 HR, 96 at-bats, .822 OPS

Jeff Keppinger - White Sox - batting .196 in 102 at-bats

Didi Gregorius - D'backs - 30 at-bats, .433, 3 HR's

Drew Stubbs - Indians - 95 at-bats, .274, 2 HR's, 4 SB, 8 BB, 29 K

Brandon Waring - Baltimore AA - .077 in 26 at-bats

Norris Hopper - no stats shown for 2013. May have retired.

Darnell McDonald - Cubs AAA - .182 in 66 at-bats

Willy Taveras - KC AAA - 59 at-bats, batting .237

8. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (05-06-2013),Ga_Red (05-06-2013),Redeyecat (05-06-2013)

Stubbs is off to a nice start 327 OBP / 737 OPS.

Not crying over his loss or saying he will maintain it, but if he could maintain that pace, he becomes a nice player to have.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

This thread has over 62,000 views. I wonder what thread has the most in Redszone history?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Stubbs is off to a nice start 327 OBP / 737 OPS.

Not crying over his loss or saying he will maintain it, but if he could maintain that pace, he becomes a nice player to have.
    I'm skeptical whether he'll maintain it but I like that Francona has him batting 9th (in 23 of the 26 games he's played so far), rather than miscasting him as a top of the order guy.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Stubbs is mashing against LHP and flailing against RHP. In other words, he's doing what Drew Stubbs does. His early season stats are a bit skewed because 44% of his PA have been against lefties thus far and unless Tito is going to platoon him (or at the very least give him some days off against RHP), he's not going to face that high of a percentage of lefties all year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2013&t=b

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I'm skeptical whether he'll maintain it but I like that Francona has him batting 9th (in 23 of the 26 games he's played so far), rather than miscasting him as a top of the order guy.
    Yea, I agree, excellent move by Franconna.
    As someone said in another thread. It seems they are just letting Stubbs be Stubbs.
    I honestly wish Drew well (except when we play the Indians).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Stubbs is mashing against LHP and flailing against RHP. In other words, he's doing what Drew Stubbs does. His early season stats are a bit skewed because 44% of his PA have been against lefties thus far and unless Tito is going to platoon him (or at the very least give him some days off against RHP), he's not going to face that high of a percentage of lefties all year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2013&t=b
    It's not only that, but he just went through what will probably be his hottest streak of the year. If Stubbs stats were posted about 5 days ago, people would be here laughing and thanking god he wasn't on this team still.

As I already mentioned, Stubbs often goes through 3 game hot streaks and then does nothing. He did it all the time with the Reds, and he is doing it with Cleveland. Assuming he will hit for this average the rest of the year is a bit optimistic since he is right now at his high water mark for the year after an insane hot streak. He will most likely do what Stubbs does, struggle for a month, get hot for a few days, rinse, repeat, and end the season with a sub .700 OPS and have near 200 K's.

15. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    It's not only that, but he just went through what will probably be his hottest streak of the year. If Stubbs stats were posted about 5 days ago, people would be here laughing and thanking god he wasn't on this team still.
    Well, I agree that based on the last 2 years, it's not likely that Stubbs will maintain this pace.

However, it's not completely impossible.
    In 2009, 196 AB, he posted a 762 OPS
    In 2010, 583 AB, he posted a 773 OPS
    Even 2011 wasn't horrible, a 686 OPS in 604 ABs. With Drew's other skills, a 686 OPS makes him a decent player. In fact baseball reference awarded him a 1.9 WAR that year. I'm not a huge fan of WAR, but based on that, he's an average player.

It really wasn't until 2012 that Drew became a bad player.

My point is.. It's possible that Drew could post a 700+ OPS this year. Sure, giving him a seat against tough righties skews the numbers, but isn't that smart managing to leverage Drew in situations where he's going to excell? Yes, if Drew OPSes over 700 in a platoon like situation, I agree that's not as good as if he OPSed 700 as an everyday player.

I guess my point is, the Indians might get pretty good value out of Drew.
    With Bourne's injury, Drew has been a nice piece for them to have.

That doesn't mean the Reds made a mistake in the Choo trade. I still do that trade no matter what. Even if Drew ends up becoming a superstar (not likely), I have no regrets on that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, I agree that based on the last 2 years, it's not likely that Stubbs will maintain this pace.

However, it's not completely impossible.
    In 2009, 196 AB, he posted a 762 OPS
    In 2010, 583 AB, he posted a 773 OPS
    Even 2011 wasn't horrible, a 686 OPS in 604 ABs. With Drew's other skills, a 686 OPS makes him a decent player. In fact baseball reference awarded him a 1.9 WAR that year. I'm not a huge fan of WAR, but based on that, he's an average player.

It really wasn't until 2012 that Drew became a bad player.

My point is.. It's possible that Drew could post a 700+ OPS this year. Sure, giving him a seat against tough righties skews the numbers, but isn't that smart managing to leverage Drew in situations where he's going to excell? Yes, if Drew OPSes over 700 in a platoon like situation, I agree that's not as good as if he OPSed 700 as an everyday player.

I guess my point is, the Indians might get pretty good value out of Drew.
    With Bourne's injury, Drew has been a nice piece for them to have.

That doesn't mean the Reds made a mistake in the Choo trade. I still do that trade no matter what. Even if Drew ends up becoming a superstar (not likely), I have no regrets on that trade.
    I know you are not stating it was a poor trade. I am just pointing out how quickly people here post stats after a guy goes on a hot streak. Even last year Stubbs got over .700 OPS with the Reds at about this time of year without the benefit of hitting a high percentage of left handers.

I agree he should be used mostly against LHers, but many people here are very quick to post stats at peaks and valleys, especially early in the season. It is simply way too early and actually a rather poor time (after a massive hot streak) to make any kind of conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    I agree he should be used mostly against LHers, but many people here are very quick to post stats at peaks and valleys, especially early in the season. It is simply way too early and actually a rather poor time (after a massive hot streak) to make any kind of conclusions.
    Yea, I agree there's a tendency to get too excited/depressed over the normal peaks and valleys early in the season

Turn Off Ads?