Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yea, I agree there's a tendency to get too excited/depressed over the normal peaks and valleys early in the season
    And just like that, it's valley time again for Stubbs. After a 0 for 11 run over the last three games, his season stats are down to .252/.304/.379 (.682 OPS).
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?

Just to add to the above list.

Justin Turner is filling in the utility slot for the mets to the tune of 341/364/415 in 45 at bats at the age of 28.

Turner is also the rare minor league second baseman who actually has a big league career. Granted it's as a utility player, but pension time is pension time.

For Ramon Hernandez the Orioles got Ryan Freel, Brandon Waring and Turner and it looks like Turner who they lost off waivers to the mets was the only thing of value they got besides salary relief.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    He will most likely do what Stubbs does, struggle for a month, get hot for a few days, rinse, repeat, and end the season with a sub .700 OPS and have near 200 K's.
    Agreed. And (referencing the Gregorius thread) turning that kind of offensive liability at the top of Baker's lineups into Choo wasn't going to happen without including Gregorius in the deal.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Didi Gregorius remains on fire.

He obviously isn't nearly as good as he has shown so far, but after the game tonight where he went 2-3 with a walk and double he is hitting .422/.469/.733.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

He obviously isn't nearly as good as he has shown so far, but after the game tonight where he went 2-3 with a walk and double he is hitting .422/.469/.733.
    Unreal. Never thought he had any stretch in him like that, much less when starting out.

Let's add in Rosales, finally healthy enough for a short stretch anyway of every day play. 44ABs: .318/.400/.477/.877. Always liked the kid; I wish him well.

Let's add Chris Valiaka: .219/.261/.344/.601

on second thought, let's not. Apparently he fractured his wrist other day, which is a real tough break for a guy finally getting a shot. Of course, if he continued to hit like he was, his shot was probably going to end soon regardless of injury.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Is Gookie Dawkins still playing? Can we add him too?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I think we need to add in Bo Hart and John Gall. And Stubby Clapp.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    And just like that, it's valley time again for Stubbs. After a 0 for 11 run over the last three games, his season stats are down to .252/.304/.379 (.682 OPS).
    Hey, he's back to 693 OPS now, that's good
    After today's game, he might stink again
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Let's add Chris Valiaka: .219/.261/.344/.601

on second thought, let's not. Apparently he fractured his wrist other day, which is a real tough break for a guy finally getting a shot. Of course, if he continued to hit like he was, his shot was probably going to end soon regardless of injury.
    Will Chris is in the perfect situation for a guy like him.. Miami.
    He should be able to stick as a utility infielder there at least until he become arb eligible.
    I didn't know he had a broken wrist though, good update.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

If he turns into an All Star eventually, Kevin Towers will look like a genius. When you throw a Jeter comparison on a guy it is obvious how much you love the guy. Has to feel good for a GM when you nail something like that.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    If he turns into an All Star eventually, Kevin Towers will look like a genius. When you throw a Jeter comparison on a guy it is obvious how much you love the guy. Has to feel good for a GM when you nail something like that.
    I'm sure Towers is feeling nice right now. But let's be honest, Gregorius still has the same ceiling he had before: .280 with 40 walks and 15 home runs to go along with plus defense. He just may get there a little sooner.

I wrote about Gregorius last October at MinorLeagueBall.com and noted that if he could just settle on one approach at the plate rather than the 3 or 4 he seemed to use, it would benefit him. Of course, my timeline did seem a little bit off:

So what do we make of all this?

That is going to depend on what kind of player he wants to become. Right now, he has several different approaches in his game (the make-contact approach, the two-strike approach, the power approach). I think he needs to settle on one style, decide whether he wants to focus on contact or on power. The frequent shifts in emphasis and indecision could potentially be holding him back.

Gregorius will be just 23-years-old for 2013, so there is still development time on the clock. If he adopts the power approach, I suspect he'll need a full year of Triple-A to make it work. If he focuses on being a singles hitter and looks for contact, I think he'll need less time.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (05-10-2013)

After his unfortunate home run the other day, as of now Juan Francisco has 83 PA, the usual low walk rate, a high strikeout rate (he had one in 2012 too), a UZR rating of 0.4.

His slash line is .295/.337/.500/.837.

I post this not to compliment Francisco so much, but to compliment the Braves. As someone who has been a fan of Francisco, I think the Braves understand this player well and are using him very effectively.

18. Likes:

TRF (05-10-2013)

which probably means an 0 for 20 is lurking.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?