Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

I just think it was entirely too much to give up considering what the going price was for Sergio Santos. Sure, Santos isn't quite as good, but he is still a well above average reliever and he was under control for 4 times as long. He cost much less than Marshall did.
    They thought they could extend Marshall. That is known now. It was part of the equation at the time the trade was made, which seems to be the context in which you insist trades be evaluated.

Further, there is little correlation in the trade market between what one GM is willing to give up for one reliever and what another GM is willing to give up for another reliever. Sellers and buyers do not all have the same type or degree of motivation.

Finally, and this remains essential IMO, the value of the players the Reds gave up is based in their evaluations of those players. If they felt the players had limited ceilings, then the trade may have been a simple one for them to agree to. And if those evaluations turn out to be accurate, they'll feel even better about it.

In the end, I score a trade based on what happens afterwards. So far, this one is a big win for the Reds. Could change, but I'm feeling real good about it, even though at the time I was quite sorry to see Sappelt and Torreyes go. Really liked them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wood will be fascinating to watch. He could go either way from here. He could go the way of Lance Davis or Jamie Moyer. One thing's for sure, crafty LHPs will get plenty of chances. He may very well bounce around awhile before he's done. I'm sure the Cubs are wondering where that pitcher is who no hit them for 6 innings on Aug 8, 2010.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 03-22-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Hoenstly, I thought the only player the Reds MIGHT miss in the Marshal trade is Wood. Doesn't look like it will be the case.

I know there's some big Sappelt fans here, but I think his upside is a backup OF.

In hindsight, it looks like the Reds were able to talk the Cubs into accepting quanity for quality. Those type of trades usually work out very well for the contending team getting quality. Sometimes they work out for the team getting quanity, but not as often.

There's a good chance that in two years, in hindsight, this trade may end up being an absolute steal for the Reds. I think there's a greater than 50% chance that the Cubs end up with almost zero value out of this deal.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Hoenstly, I thought the only player the Reds MIGHT miss in the Marshal trade is Wood. Doesn't look like it will be the case.

I know there's some big Sappelt fans here, but I think his upside is a backup OF.

In hindsight, it looks like the Reds were able to talk the Cubs into accepting quanity for quality. Those type of trades usually work out very well for the contending team getting quality. Sometimes they work out for the team getting quanity, but not as often.

There's a good chance that in two years, in hindsight, this trade may end up being an absolute steal for the Reds. I think there's a greater than 50% chance that the Cubs end up with almost zero value out of this deal.
    For me it was Boxberger. Our closer situation is anything but settled going forward after this yr

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Ronald Torreyes had four hits and Ryan Cuneo drove-in five runs with a three-run home run and a two-run single, leading the Daytona Cubs to a 10-3 victory over the San Jose Giants.
    Only four hits for Torreyes yesterday. - from TexasDave off of Sundeck

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I can already foresee that I need to stay out of this thread if it's gonna update Torreyes. Because it'll just piss me off. I don't care one lick what the scouts say in regards to his height/size...that kids' gonna hit. Period.

Adam Dunn, spring 2012, .333/.515/.876, 4hr, 9bb, 1K! in 33pa.

disclaimer: I don't want to have this turn into an Adam Dunn is great/sucks thing. I'm just find myself fascinated by this player and if he can get back to the human homerun metronome that he was before 2011. And yes, it's a way small sample size, but, Dunn couldn't even hit a straight fastball over the plate last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Adam Dunn, spring 2012, .333/.515/.876, 4hr, 9bb, 1K! in 33pa.

disclaimer: I don't want to have this turn into an Adam Dunn is great/sucks thing. I'm just find myself fascinated by this player and if he can get back to the human homerun metronome that he was before 2011. And yes, it's a way small sample size, but, Dunn couldn't even hit a straight fastball over the plate last year.
    Why is this post in this thread?

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Just a guess, but not worthy of it's own thread and this one is tracking players who used to be in the system as did Adam.

Originally Posted by edabbs44

Just a guess, but not worthy of it's own thread and this one is tracking players who used to be in the system as did Adam.
    Yes, that's why I posted it here. It seemed like the best spot.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

In a game against the Reds today Volquez went 5.2 innings, 2 hits, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 Ks.

Alonso was 2 for 3 scoring 2 runs.

The Mighty Chris Denorfia made an appearance in the game too.

*EDIT*: Oh, and Boxberger closed it out with a 1-2-3 ninth striking out 2.
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 03-24-2012 at 12:55 AM.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    In a game against the Reds today Volquez went 5.2 innings, 2 hits, 2 ER, 2 BB, 6 Ks.

Alonso was 2 for 3 scoring 2 runs.

The Mighty Chris Denorfia made an appearance in the game too.

*EDIT*: Oh, and Boxberger closed it out with a 1-2-3 ninth striking out 2.
    Geez. Our former players just own us.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think it is more about tracking the guys who were traded this offseason.

If Adam Dunn keeps it up, we might want to get him back.

-The Insider-

Sappelt and Wood were sent down by Chicago today.

Turn Off Ads?