Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 68 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Re: Tracking - Alonso, Grandal, Volquez, Boxberger, Sappelt, Wood, Torreyes

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Here's a question for those familiar with Gregorius: what is behind his power surge so far this year? His BABIP is higher than you'd expect, but it's not outrageous. It's the ISO that's currently higher than Joey Votto's that's a mystery to me. I always thought of Gregorius as a light hitting SS. Am I missing something, or is this nothing more than a hot streak in a small sample size?
    I think he stopped in St. Louis on his way to Arizona and drank deeply from the magical waters.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Here's a question for those familiar with Gregorius: what is behind his power surge so far this year? His BABIP is higher than you'd expect, but it's not outrageous. It's the ISO that's currently higher than Joey Votto's that's a mystery to me. I always thought of Gregorius as a light hitting SS. Am I missing something, or is this nothing more than a hot streak in a small sample size?
    You are missing something. While he certainly isn't Votto in terms of power, anyone who thought he was a slap hitter simply hadn't seen him play enough. I wrote about Gregorius last offseason. Go give it a read, there is a lot to it that I just don't want to re-type.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I think he stopped in St. Louis on his way to Arizona and drank deeply from the magical waters.
    I don't know if you were joking or not, but it probably isn't a good idea to speculate anything like that based on absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't know if you were joking or not, but it probably isn't a good idea to speculate anything like that based on absolutely nothing.
    doug, do you really have no sense of humor at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    doug, do you really have no sense of humor at all?
    Sense of humor is tough to pick up on without any context when you are reading.

And for the record, I am hilarious.

Sense of humor is tough to pick up on without any context when you are reading.

And for the record, I am hilarious.
    I believe you

One does not declare if they are funny or not.

The people decide

9. Likes:

redsfandan (06-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

The people decide
    Schizophrenics do, as they often are... the people.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

11. Likes:

dougdirt (05-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

The people decide

13. Likes:

Chip R (05-28-2013),mdccclxix (05-28-2013)

You are missing something. While he certainly isn't Votto in terms of power, anyone who thought he was a slap hitter simply hadn't seen him play enough. I wrote about Gregorius last offseason. Go give it a read, there is a lot to it that I just don't want to re-type.
    Thanks for linking the article doug. I never accused him of being a slap hitter. In truth, I didn't know what kind of hitter he was, that's why I asked. I get that you thought he could be a peak 10-15 homer kind of guy, but do you honestly think this level of power is sustainable? I mean we're talking about a ~.540 SLG.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Thanks for linking the article doug. I never accused him of being a slap hitter. In truth, I didn't know what kind of hitter he was, that's why I asked. I get that you thought he could be a peak 10-15 homer kind of guy, but do you honestly think this level of power is sustainable? I mean we're talking about a ~.540 SLG.
    No. Like I said, he certainly isn't Joey Votto. But, he is going to be playing in a home run friendly park in Arizona, so maybe that bumps him up to 15-20 instead. And he is a quick guy, so he is going to get a handful of extra-bases with his legs as well and the NL West is triples heaven and he has the speed to take advantage of that. I am a huge Gregorius fan, but he isn't Troy Tulowitzki at the plate even if he is playing like it right now.

No. Like I said, he certainly isn't Joey Votto. But, he is going to be playing in a home run friendly park in Arizona, so maybe that bumps him up to 15-20 instead. And he is a quick guy, so he is going to get a handful of extra-bases with his legs as well and the NL West is triples heaven and he has the speed to take advantage of that. I am a huge Gregorius fan, but he isn't Troy Tulowitzki at the plate even if he is playing like it right now.
    My opinion is a guy is who he is until he proves he isn't. Right now, he's Tulo. over the long haul, maybe not, but I don't think there were too many people that had Votto slated for where he is now, when he was in the minors. Good? sure. Perennial MVP candidate? no.

It's rare, sure, but some guys just have a light that turns on and play beyond their expectations. Some never reach theirs. There is a pitcher in San Diego with Ace stuff that will not ever reach that level again but for one season. Didi is taking advantage of his opportunity, his surroundings and apparently his coaching environment. Good for him.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

He's more Derek Jeter than Tulo. Plus he could be the next Dr. Seuss book star.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/didi-...r-importantly/
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I saw last night that Grandal's suspension is over and the Padres have activated him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Travis Wood has allowed 1 run in 5 innings so far today, and is 2 for 2 including a grand slam. I'm not suggesting the Reds shouldn't have made that trade, but I do hate to see anything good happen to the Cubs.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?