Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Heisey Pressing?

Heisey Pressing?

Heisey is really struggling at the plate this spring (I know, I know it only spring training). I suspect the addition of Ludwick is making him feel like he has to produce big numbers, especially power numbers. As much as we needed Luddy for OF depth I can't help but wonder if Heisey would have a different / more relaxed approach of he was assured the lions share of playing time in LF? Is it better to have a platoon out there with 2 marginal players or to announce Heisey as the starter and have Luddy available for spot starts and PH role?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Heisey Pressing?

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Heisey is really struggling at the plate this spring (I know, I know it only spring training). I suspect the addition of Ludwick is making him feel like he has to produce big numbers, especially power numbers. As much as we needed Luddy for OF depth I can't help but wonder if Heisey would have a different / more relaxed approach of he was assured the lions share of playing time in LF? Is it better to have a platoon out there with 2 marginal players or to announce Heisey as the starter and have Luddy available for spot starts and PH role?
    Dusty Baker's two favorite words - Veteran Creaminess.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Only disappointment of the offseason was the failure to make a statement in left field. However, considering the free agents available, it's hard to figure what else could have been done given the pieces already moved in trade. Beltran was the best available, and he landed in probably the worst possible place for Reds fans.

I really think Heisey is poised for a breakout season. I just hope he is given adequate playing time to make it happen.

I think that Heisey and Ludwick will split time. Hopefully Heisey plays his way into getting more time. Id much rather see a guy struggle in the spring than start the season struggling. I dont think hes pressing. Hes pretty much in the same position he was last year. However I think either him or Stubbs has to have a great year for this outfield to produce. Bruce cannot do it all and hes so streaky anyways

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    162 games in a season and fans are worried about what Heisey's batting in Spring Training. Both Ludwick and Heisey will hit slumps this season. Come on, you'll watch enough Reds baseball.

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Let me start off by saying...I like Heisey. But if the guy can't handle having to battle for the lions share of the playing time in LF, then he can sit on the bench. Baseball has always been about who steps up. He hasn't done much to earn being given the starting spot, other than maybe being on the team a few years, to me that doesn't get him the job. I would really like to see him EARN the job, instead of an ex-Cardinal getting it. Hopefully he picks it up and has a good year. I think he could be good for .270-.290, 20-30 HR's, 70-90 rbi's. If we get that from him, that would be great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Let me start off by saying...I like Heisey. But if the guy can't handle having to battle for the lions share of the playing time in LF, then he can sit on the bench. Baseball has always been about who steps up. He hasn't done much to earn being given the starting spot, other than maybe being on the team a few years, to me that doesn't get him the job. I would really like to see him EARN the job, instead of an ex-Cardinal getting it. Hopefully he picks it up and has a good year. I think he could be good for .270-.290, 20-30 HR's, 70-90 rbi's. If we get that from him, that would be great!!!!
    Amen X 1,000,000. If you can't handle pressure then you're not someone that is going to be a key part of winning a world series.

Those kind of stats would be amazing for us and propel us to the top. I just am not sure if he can manage it.

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TBoneCapone View Post
    Those kind of stats would be amazing for us and propel us to the top. I just am not sure if he can manage it.
    I would be happy with the low end of those stats. If he was able to get the high end.....watch out....we would be World Series bound!!!! I hope he does good tho.

Quoted for truth! If the pressure of another player, who is coming off some not-so-great seasons, is too much then he doesnt belong in the first place (and not saying thats the case by the way).
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?