Turn Off Ads?

Thread: LASIK Surgery

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

LASIK Surgery

I'm going in tomorrow for LASIK surgery, and I'm really pumped and a little nervous. Anybody who's had the procedure have any advice on the recovery process, how long to rest, how often to use artificial tears, etc.? I can't wait to be able to see my alarm clock at night (among other things, obviously).
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: LASIK Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I'm going in tomorrow for LASIK surgery, and I'm really pumped and a little nervous. Anybody who's had the procedure have any advice on the recovery process, how long to rest, how often to use artificial tears, etc.? I can't wait to be able to see my alarm clock at night (among other things, obviously).
    Having your teeth cleaned is more unpleasant.

It's nothing, don't sweat it.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Artificial tears? Does this surgery turn you into Chuck Norris or something?
    Seriously, I hope it goes well- post an update. I'm interested in knowing how thing go.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I didn't have Lasik but I had a laser treatment on my left eye the other day. I am diabetic and I had some cholestrol buildup near my retina. This treatment only took about 5 minutes and was painless. He said it wouldn't help my vision any but I think it did just a little bit. I wouldn't worry about it. Go home afterwards and watch all the NCAA games. Call out tommorrow and say you need another day of rest too so you can catch those games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Having your teeth cleaned is more unpleasant.

It's nothing, don't sweat it.
    I am sorry to report this, but I had lasik 8 years ago and it was far from like a teeth cleaning....maybe its far more along nowadays and it wont bother you....my surgery went like this....they drugged me with Valium when I first got there, I didnt even want it but they suggested I take it...I took it, got sleepy, then they put these numbing drops in my eyes and my upper half of my face was numb as all get out.......kind of felt cool, I liked it sort of.......anyhow, the actually surgery lasted about 10 minutes, 5 on each eye.....easy as pie.....soon as they were done they looked at my eyes through their scope and sent me out the door as fast as possible.....I was in heaven....about 20 minutes down the road I am guessing the numbing drops wore off and my eyes felt like I had sand in them, I have never felt pain that bad to this day....it was so bad that I was trying to get my wife to take me to the emergency room cause I would have swore something was wrong....we called the eye doc as soon as we got home and he said that is very normal and just to tuff it out................3 Ambiens later and a short nap I woke up to a perfect vision.....never had another issue with them since other than the occasional halo effect over lights at night.............put the pain I felt 20 minutes after the surgery till about 3 hours later when I finally was knocked out from Ambien was the most severe pain I have ever had.....

I have talked to so many people who say they didnt have even the slightest bit of pain so maybe it was just me, but I will not do it again if my eyes go back to being bad.....

It is awesome to wake up in the middle of the night and actually look over and see your clock.....not have to fumble for your glasses all night.....not have to worry about taking contact solution with you everywhere you go......it truly is remarkable what it does, you almost feel like you get part of your life back cause things get so easy, like taking a shower to doing gardening...anything that used to bug you with contacts or glasses all goes to the wayside...its great.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Well that was easy! The procedure was painless, if a little uncomfortable for a minute or two. I had some of the post-procedure pain lid mentioned, but clearly not to his degree. I came home and slept for a couple hours, and when I woke up I was seeing as clearly as ever, with just some light sensitivity that went away with sunglasses. I watched the Cats play tonight and watched a movie with my family, and now I feel like a million bucks. If anyone is on the fence about the procedure, I HIGHLY recommend it so far. Supposedly my vision will improve even a little more over the next several days. I used LasikPlus in Lexington (the same doctor, Jeff Greenberg, works at the ones in Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Louisville as well), and I couldn't have been happier with the doctor and staff. Thanks for the advice everyone.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Glad that went well! Congratulations on your new vision.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I loved mine, 10 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Fast forward to a month ago, and my eyes are going bad again to the tune of 20/40, so I had to get glasses again.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I would if I had enough money.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Easily the best money I've ever spent in my life almost 10 years ago. It really was life changing.

The only downside is that it made me a little far sighted. I can't read things up close anymore pso things like small print are difficult to read. But still worth it.
    Last edited by MWM; 03-17-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Turn Off Ads?