Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Basketball venues

Basketball venues

Last night was my dad's 1st trip to UD Arena in eons and he and I discussed it as a great place to watch a game. And it is great, so long as you're not in the 400 level, aka Vandalia.

Anyway, he and I started talking about places where we'd been to games (usually together) and I know we also did this here during football season. So here goes:

UD, Miami, UC (old and new), Xavier (old and new), Wright State, Ohio State (old and new), UK, Freedom Hall (but not for a UofL game), Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Memphis (old, middle and new), Murray St, WKU, EKU, Morehead, NKU (old and new), Austin Peay, Tennessee State, Belmont (new), Lipsconmb, Ga Tech, BGSU (old), Akron, Butler, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Ball State, Penn (the Palestra). I think that's it. I've been inside Cameron Indoor and the Deandome, but not for games. Also been to Midnight Madness at the old place where Maryland used to play.

NCAA venues: McKale Center in Tucson, Hoosier Dome, the arena in Tampa whatever it's called, Nashville Arena, UD, MCI Center (DC), the Meadowlands.

NBA venues: Indianapolis (new and old), Memphis (new), Cleveland (new), Phoenix.

Best: Butler. If you like basketball at all, you must go there once in your life. You'll like basketball more after you go there. If you don't like basketball at all, go anyway, just to see the that beautiful building.

Worst: Miami. Maybe this is a "familiarity breeds contempt" situation as I've been going to games there as long as I can remember, but the place sucks.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Basketball venues

Cincinnati Gardens. =)

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Cincinnati Gardens. =)
    Even better: Hara Arena.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Even better: Hara Arena.
    Who played there? I don't believe UD or Wright State ever used Hara, unless I'm forgetting something.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Who played there? I don't believe UD or Wright State ever used Hara, unless I'm forgetting something.
    Nah, but I can remember going to high school tourney games there when I was a kid.

Nah, but I can remember going to high school tourney games there when I was a kid.
    Yeah, high school tourney games are the only ones I can remember there.

A few other Dayton hoops places are the old UD Fieldhouse, the Montgomery Co. Fairgrounds Coliseum, and the old Wright State gym pre-Nutter Center back when they were Div. II.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I have been to a couple.

OSU - both St. Johns and The Shot but have never seen a college game there.
    Nationwide Arena (for hockey)
    The Shoemaker Center
    UD Arena (for HS)
    Rupp and the Indy Dome for a NCAA tourney game.
    US Bank Arena

Best: Butler. If you like basketball at all, you must go there once in your life. You'll like basketball more after you go there. If you don't like basketball at all, go anyway, just to see the that beautiful building. .
    Having played many pickup games at Butler, the floor there is the greatest, it has so much bounce.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Xavier (old and new), Riverfront Coliseum, Shoemaker Center, Millett, Freedom Hall, Rupp Arena, Market Square, Conseco Fieldhouse, Akron, Ohio U., Gund Arena, Duquesne, Richmond, George Washington, UNCC, Hinkle, Nutter, UD Arena, Dean Dome, Wichita State, K-State, Allen Fieldhouse, Georgia Dome, Orlando (old), Charlotte Coliseum, Fordham, UMass, Worcester Centrum, Boston Garden (new), Assembly Hall (IU). Think that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Allen Fieldhouse,
    That's the one my dad and I promised to get out to next season after he retires. How was it?

That's the one my dad and I promised to get out to next season after he retires. How was it?
    Fun place to see a game. Crowd is right on top of the action and loud. Fans arrive early and stay late.

Stat geek...and proud
    Ah, that makes sense. I went to high school in Indiana, so I don't really follow Ohio HS ball. Besides, there's nothing like Indiana HS hoops. The land of gyms bigger than a lot of college gyms.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    ... and the old Wright State gym pre-Nutter Center back when they were Div. II.
    You mean the famous Phys Ed building. Best name ever! Went there to see a few WSU games back in the day. Had wooden bleachers that pulled out like a HS gym.

Turn Off Ads?