Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nice article on Votto's future with the Reds

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Nice article on Votto's future with the Reds

This sounds encouraging to me. From Jon Heyman:

One obvious reason Votto, who hit .309 with 29 home runs, 110 RBI and a league-leading .415 on-base percentage in 2011, is hoping Pujols and Fielder show they are worthy of those mega deals is that he hopes to follow their lead. That goes for the contract. But it doesn't necessarily mean Votto sees himself leaving Cincinnati. Although he said the Reds haven't approached him yet about a new deal, his heart seems to be in Cincinnati.

"I'm very proud I'm with the Reds,'' Votto said at one point.

When asked if he'd like to stay, he answered, "I definitely do."
    http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jo...ery-long-deals

Re: Nice article on Votto's future with the Reds

Well that's great news.

Though I'm disappointed Joey couldn't come up with something more mysterious and insightful than "I definitely do".

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Well that's great news.

Though I'm disappointed Joey couldn't come up with something more mysterious and insightful than "I definitely do".
    *Snicker*

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

"It would be tough for a [top] position player to sign for five years. No matter how fond a person is of the city, players have to maximize the number of years,"Votto said.

The thoughtful star explained that the best players should prioritize the length of the contract when they are in their prime because "teams aren't anxious to sign players who are 35 or 36 anymore.''
    Reading too much into a quote alert:

It sounds like Joey is more concerned with job security than dollar amounts. Maybe he's a guy who would be happier with nine years, $18 million per than six years, $24 million per. The problem, obviously, is that somebody may offer him the best of both those worlds. Mostly I'm just trying to make myself feel better. Anyway, nice article.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

I have been as vocal as anyone about the fact that Votto has specifically avoided such definite positive statements about wanting to stay.

Would love to see a few more of these type quotes from him.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

The best way for the Reds to keep Votto is to make the playoffs the next two years.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

If he is willing to trade a few million for a couple more years, I think this deal gets done.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Far more optimistic about this than I was. Will still be a big-time financial stretch, as JV won't give the team much of a discount.

If they manage to extend him, Votto could conceivably rank first in Reds history in a few offensive categories. Would love to see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Far more optimistic about this than I was. Will still be a big-time financial stretch, as JV won't give the team much of a discount.

If they manage to extend him, Votto could conceivably rank first in Reds history in a few offensive categories. Would love to see it happen.
    Me too. This is the first time I've seen Joey actually come out and say he wants to be here and I hope he is. I still think it will be hard to keep him because of the pressure his contract will put on the salary structure. The Reds really need to put some serious effort into shoring up the farm system and acquiring top young talent.

If he does stay, it is going to be very expensive to have Votto, Bruce, Latos, Cueto and possibly Chapman. They'll need a lot of top young talent around them to compete (either that or grow the payroll swell-North of $100M in the next three or four years).

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Joey is not a guy who I'd have a problem extending into his later years. I think he takes really good care of himself and he's super athletic for a first baseman...also, first base is not normally a position that grinds a player down.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

If he will take a deal that just skirts the 20 million mark and is 6-7 years in length I'd be willing to bet a deal gets done. If he has to have more than that I don't think he stays. Its just my gut feeling but I'll bet 20-21 or 22 million (a bit higher than 20 if its a shorter term than 5/6 years, a bit less or right at the mark if its longer) is about the ceiling for the Reds. I'll be shocked if they go beyond that, and worried, too, if they can produce enough of a team around a salary any larger than that for one player, unless, of course, some revenue source is enlarged that the Reds don't have right now. I think the Reds can compete near the top level of deals but no way can they if Joey insists on a deal at or near the very pinnacle money-wise. Every player though does have a point where it is enough money-wise, where the contract becomes more about security, conditions, familiarity, competitiveness etc. I can't really criticize Votto if he goes for the max money because he is "the man" for an extended family since his father died. OTOH, I sure hope the Reds can get in his ballpark with an offer and win enough to make him want to stay.

Nine years/$214M to ten years/$240M....that's Fielder/Pujols territory. That's territory the Reds have never ventured into....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Nine years/$214M to ten years/$240M....that's Fielder/Pujols territory. That's territory the Reds have never ventured into....
    That's territory a lot of teams haven't ventured into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Unless the Reds are going to move payroll north of $100M, it's hard to see the Reds paying Votto $20M per.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I think I'm one of the crazy people who would probably trade Votto after this year of mid 2013 if a sufficiently attractive package (Teixeira-like) was available. I love the guy, but I don't want 25% of our payroll tied up in any one player who is a significant risk to underperform that contract for multiple years.

Joey is right to pursue his mega deal in to his late 30's. But I don't want the Reds to be on the hook for it. It's not that far of a fall at all to hitting .280/.360/.480 with below average defense -- and that's not something you should be paying big bucks for.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?