Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays:3/20

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Birthdays:3/20

Reds:

Steve Blateric (68) -You know you're a Reds fan if you remember this guy, who pitched only a few innings 31 years ago.

Pat Corrales (71) -A Bench backup for a few years. Holds a record he'd rather not hold: the only manager ever to be fired while in first place.

Clyde Shoun -Hard-throwing lefty from Mountain City, Tennessee. Pitched a no-hitter for the 1944 Reds. Oddly, the only player to reach base (via walk) was the opposing pitcher, Jim Tobin, who had himself pitched a no-hitter only eighteen days earlier.

Others:

George Altman (79) -Big George played in the Negro League, the majors and the Japanese League; I'm not sure anyone else played in all three. He was actually more of a star in Japan than in the states. He was, however, the first batter to take Sandy Koufax deep twice in one game.

Steve McCatty (58) -Some confusion here. I read one source that said that in the strike-shortened 1981 season there was controversy over whether McCatty or Sammy Stewart was the AL ERA champion, and that it came down to whether you rounded the innings pitched off to the nearest inning (as was the practice then) or didn't. But BaseballReference.com lists Dave Righetti as the 1981 ERA champ, with Stewart second and McCatty third. Anyway, it's a mess. Maybe WOY or someone else smarter than I am can clarify it.

Joe McGinnity -Initially called "Iron Man" because he worked in a foundry when he wasn't playing ball, eventually the nickname became apropos for other reasons. He and Christy Mathewson were one of the great one-two pitching punches of all time.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Re: Birthdays:3/20

Me!... being sick on your birthday is just a little crappy.

But at least Opening Day grows closer.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Me!... being sick on your birthday is just a little crappy.

But at least Opening Day grows closer.

Happy Birthday! I'm sure some cake will make you feel better!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Steve McCatty (58) -Some confusion here. I read one source that said that in the strike-shortened 1981 season there was controversy over whether McCatty or Sammy Stewart was the AL ERA champion, and that it came down to whether you rounded the innings pitched off to the nearest inning (as was the practice then) or didn't. But BaseballReference.com lists Dave Righetti as the 1981 ERA champ, with Stewart second and McCatty third. Anyway, it's a mess. Maybe WOY or someone else smarter than I am can clarify it.
    Got me interested in the AL 1981 ERA Champion thing. Saw this about Sammy Stewart...

In October 2006, Stewart began serving an eight-year sentence in a North Carolina prison on a felony drug charge, having been convicted as an "habitual felon". He has been charged 46 times with more than 60 offenses since 1988, and has spent 25 months in prison over six separate stints. He has admitted to being a "crack addict."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds
    Happy Birthday! I'm sure some cake will make you feel better!
    Thanks, clr. Fortunately, we celebrated Saturday (Red Lobster).

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Steve Blateric (68) -You know you're a Reds fan if you remember this guy, who pitched only a few innings 31 years ago.
    I looked up Steve's record and there is very little to see. 2 games for the Reds in '71, 1 game for the Yankees in '72 and then 2 games for California in '75 - that's it. Now I understand why I don't remember him.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Redsfan320!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    I looked up Steve's record and there is very little to see. 2 games for the Reds in '71, 1 game for the Yankees in '72 and then 2 games for California in '75 - that's it. Now I understand why I don't remember him.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Redsfan320!
    I remember that name but I don't remember him pitching for the Reds. Being a Reds fan for over 40 years there has been too many players passed through to remember them all.

Happy Birthday Redsfan320!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Haha, this means it's my birthday again as well. This year, I missed being sick by one day. (Phew)

9. Likes:

Boss-Hog (03-20-2013)

Thank y'all very much!

Turn Off Ads?