Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL hammers Sean Payton/Saints for bounties

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

NFL hammers Sean Payton/Saints for bounties

The NFL came down hard on the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday.

Saints coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended for eight regular-season games, the team was fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13) as a result of a bounty program conducted by the team during the 2009-11 seasons
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...-year-bounties
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: NFL hammers Sean Payton/Saints for bounties

For one year? Are you KIDDING me?! Holy crap. Moral of the story: DO NOT PISS OFF ROGER GOODELL.

It's harsh but I like it. You can't have stuff like that in the game and it sends a good message. I'm sure it's also strongly motivated by trying to prevent future lawsuits about not caring about player safety.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

It does seem harsh.......but the NFL has to do something considering the lawsuits coming up against them.

There's one way to make sure this crap gets out of the game for good, by dropping down this kinda punishment. Good move for the NFL, ouch for the Saints.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    For one year? Are you KIDDING me?! Holy crap. Moral of the story: DO NOT PISS OFF ROGER GOODELL.
    Or the moral may be "do not give cash payments for injuring another player". Injuries do happen (esp. in football), but to pay the guy who causes the injury is just wrong. I know other teams do it or have done it, but that does not make it right.

I am glad to see the punishment that was given.
    Last edited by RedFanAlways1966; 03-21-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Or the moral may be "do not give cash payments for injuring another player". Injuries do happen (esp. in football), but to pay the guy who causes the injury is just wrong. I know other teams do it or have done it, but that does not make it right.

I am glad to see the punishment that was given.
    Hey, I never said I was against the punishment. I think it's deplorable stuff. But let's be real, are the Saints the ONLY team in the NFL doing this? Or one of maybe a dozen? You mean to tell me the Ravens have never done this? The Steelers? The Jets? I simply don't believe it. I don't have a problem with the suspension, but if he gets evidence others have done it (and I'd be shocked if he didn't) he's got a hell of a standard to live up to.

For a Level Playing Field

Hey, I never said I was against the punishment. I think it's deplorable stuff. But let's be real, are the Saints the ONLY team in the NFL doing this? Or one of maybe a dozen? You mean to tell me the Ravens have never done this? The Steelers? The Jets? I simply don't believe it. I don't have a problem with the suspension, but if he gets evidence others have done it (and I'd be shocked if he didn't) he's got a hell of a standard to live up to.
    OK, I am glad you agree with it. We all know that others do it. But the Saints got caught red-handed and admitted it. Like the 1919 White Sox (not as severe of course!) you need to send a strong message to others in the hope that it stops.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    OK, I am glad you agree with it. We all know that others do it. But the Saints got caught red-handed and admitted it. Like the 1919 White Sox (not as severe of course!) you need to send a strong message to others in the hope that it stops.
    You are right. The Saints were the unlucky ones to get caught. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if a good chunk of the teams had some sort of bounty system. It's been going on for as long as the NFL has been around. It was one those snicker and grin kinda things that were talked about in retirement banquets and such. Maybe this will put an end to these bounty's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Dang. Ka-boom.

I guess Goodell wants to make sure nobody else gets any big ideas about this.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The NFL's "SMU Moment" -- give someone the death penalty and use it as an example for all time.

Oh, and Drew Brees is coming off like a total idiot right now. He'd be the first dude getting self-righteous if it came out other players were targeting him for a season-ending / career-ending injury in exchange for cash. Now he's defending Payton and demanding explanations.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I am somewhat surprised that Payton was suspended for a full season; I was expecting a suspension of between 4 to 8 games. I have no problem with the penalties though. I wonder if Gregg Williams will or should ever work in the NFL again.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The fact that others may be doing it is exactly why this punishment is a good one. It's meant to put a stop to it pronto

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I am somewhat surprised that Payton was suspended for a full season; I was expecting a suspension of between 4 to 8 games. I have no problem with the penalties though. I wonder if Gregg Williams will or should ever work in the NFL again.
    Details are sketchy but from what I've heard one of the reasons Payton and Williams were hit so hard was because they lied about it initially. The NFL doesn't take too kindly to that

Apparently Warren Sapp is saying Jeremy Shockey was the one who 'snitched'.

Turn Off Ads?