Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL hammers Sean Payton/Saints for bounties

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: NFL hammers Sean Payton/Saints for bounties

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They put his product on the air. He should and I think does have say so in who they have commenting on the games.
    Unless it is in the contracts signed by the league, then I doubt they have any ability to say yes or no to anyone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Unless it is in the contracts signed by the league, then I doubt they have any ability to say yes or no to anyone.
    I know on the discalimer for MLB games its mentioned that the announcers have been approved by MLB. Maybe the NFL is different. I would think whoever hires him for TV work may get less of a TV deal the next time around. They may decide to divvy up the $$$ more to another network. We'll see. I do know it makes the NFL and Goodell look really bad if he's on the air commenting on games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They put his product on the air. He should and I think does have say so in who they have commenting on the games.
    My guess is the networks would say "we're paying a billion dollars to broadcast these games; we'll hire who we want"

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Granted, Parcells is a HOF head coach who is respected throughout NFL circles and Lane Kiffin is riding the coattails of his father, but its the fact that its supposed to be a punishment and its backfiring considerably.

The Saints are getting a better coach as a one year stopgap, highly unlikely to lose any continuity between Parcells and Payton.

Payton gets a year off and can work for a network until his suspension is up.

Tell me how the whole thing isn't a slap in the face to the Commissioner?
    Parcells would be no more than a figurehead. Payton was the offensive play caller. This is a huge disruption to the team. No way Payton makes $5.8mill in any other line of work from April 1 through the Super Bowl. If the Saints can hire Parcells more power to them

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...o-49ers-speech

Gregg Williams isn't looking so good right now.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/77...o-49ers-speech

Gregg Williams isn't looking so good right now.
    I heard most of the tape. Something tells me that Williams wasn't the only person to make a similar speech.

Isn't that speech the very essence of football?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I heard most of the tape. Something tells me that Williams wasn't the only person to make a similar speech.

Not at all.

What a absolute joke this idiot is. Should be banned from ever being allowed to coach any level of football again.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I think we are about to witness a life-time ban from the NFL. Frankly I think Payton should be right there with him, but he'll probably slither his way out of the worst of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

I figured this whole thing was probably overblown a bit by the NFL, but that it was still a suspension and punishment that needed to happen. After listening to that audio tape, any coach who was in the room when that speech was made should not ever coach again.

That is beyond ridiculous to specifically target hitting guys in the head, and even more so guys who have had concussions in the past. Talking about going after an ACL or vernon davis ankles in the pile has no place in the game whatsoever.

There is a distinct difference between telling your guys to go knock the **** out of someone and hit em as hard as you can (both fine) and the garbage that Williams was spewing.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post

I guess I'm just jaded but that stuff really didn't surprise me (Jack Tatum and "North Dallas Forty" and snot bubbles and all that). I know the NFL is trying to get away fron that kind of stuff and I think that's a good idea, but the fact that those kinds of raw speeches happen doesn't surprise me.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I look forward to the NFL outlawing the chop block soon.

The most interesting thing about the tape is the timing. Is it a coincidence that the tape came out the same day as Payton's appeal? I don't think so. Goodell is very smart and he doesn't want this appeal to be successful. So, what better way to do that than to encourage the release of this tape?
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...hes-home-games

The U.S. Attorney's Office in the Eastern District of Louisiana was told Friday that New Orleans Saints general manager Mickey Loomis had an electronic device in his Superdome suite that had been secretly re-wired to enable him to eavesdrop on visiting coaching staffs for nearly three NFL seasons, "Outside the Lines" has learned.
    Saints deny. Stay tuned.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-23-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Shades of Al Davis and yes, Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Shades of Al Davis and yes, Bill Belichick
    Has a Super Bowl season ever been vacated from the record books in the NFL?

This could be the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?