Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NFL hammers Sean Payton/Saints for bounties

Re: NFL hammers Sean Payton/Saints for bounties

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Would anybody really be surprised to find out such a program exists on almost every NFL team? though maybe not as brazen as the Saints did it.
    I would be shocked. Here is the thing no one in this thread is mentioning. The NFL found out about these bounties in 2009. They told teams we know you are doing this, stop it now. Other teams did. The Saints did not. They continued the bounty program and then lied to cover it up.

That is why bounty penalty is so harsh and that is why no one else will be punished. We know Gregg Williams ran a similar system while in Washington. They received no penalty - - because when NFL said, in 09, that it better have stopped they made sure it stopped. Simple.

I have no sympathy for the Saints. I actually rooted for them when I lived in N'Awlins and after Katrina (as long as they did not interfere with my G-Men!). But the arrogance of Payton, Loomis and Williams is and was just astounding. So they lost any sympathy I might be able to muster.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I would be shocked. Here is the thing no one in this thread is mentioning. The NFL found out about these bounties in 2009. They told teams we know you are doing this, stop it now. Other teams did. The Saints did not. They continued the bounty program and then lied to cover it up.

That is why bounty penalty is so harsh and that is why no one else will be punished. We know Gregg Williams ran a similar system while in Washington. They received no penalty - - because when NFL said, in 09, that it better have stopped they made sure it stopped. Simple.

I have no sympathy for the Saints. I actually rooted for them when I lived in N'Awlins and after Katrina (as long as they did not interfere with my G-Men!). But the arrogance of Payton, Loomis and Williams is and was just astounding. So they lost any sympathy I might be able to muster.
    You got it and I'm sure the commissioner will explain all that to Mr Brees when he gets that explanation he asked for. The only thing I take issue with is that no one in the thread mentioned it

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Details are sketchy but from what I've heard one of the reasons Payton and Williams were hit so hard was because they lied about it initially. The NFL doesn't take too kindly to that
    Thanks for filling in some of those details
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 03-22-2012 at 11:30 AM.

I wasn't talking about the lying part, Sea Ray - I know you and others have mentioned that. I was referring to the NFL telling teams we know this is going on, stop now part. That's why it took over two years for the crap to hit fan. The lying/cover up was HUGE but what others are missing is NFL gave teams a heads up a couple of years ago.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I expect this to be the next sequel for "The Hunger Games"==futuristic NFL style
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Parcells taking over in New Orleans in Payton's absence.

Talk about giving Goodell the finger if that happens, and I don't think Goodell is somebody you want mad at you.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

What this is amounting to is a year of vacation for Payton. I read that he was going to be a TV analyst next fall on one of the networks. How crazy is that? He should be banished completely from the NFL and any TV or radio work without being paid for the year. Anything less and then its no punishment at all IMO.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Parcells taking over in New Orleans in Payton's absence.

Talk about giving Goodell the finger if that happens, and I don't think Goodell is somebody you want mad at you.
    I don't see why that'd anger the commissioner. It'd help generate interest in the NFL and it'd be great for the New Orleans fans who he didn't want to punish in the first place. I think he'd be fine with it

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    What this is amounting to is a year of vacation for Payton. I read that he was going to be a TV analyst next fall on one of the networks. How crazy is that? He should be banished completely from the NFL and any TV or radio work without being paid for the year. Anything less and then its no punishment at all IMO.
    I don't think Goodell can control who the networks hire

I don't think Goodell can control who the networks hire
    They put his product on the air. He should and I think does have say so in who they have commenting on the games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For a Level Playing Field

They put his product on the air. He should and I think does have say so in who they have commenting on the games.
    I agree with you that it is a joke to have him announcing; however, the NFL loves $$$$ and the networks give a lot of that to the NFL. TV $$$$ rules the roost. And I'd almost have to believe that legally Goodell cannot not do a thing about it as Sea Ray has said. The networks should be better than that, but I forget how the real world is sometimes lol.

With the amount of money the networks are paying the NFL, the networks can say "bite me".

If I were Sean Payton, I don't think I'd want to get in a urination match with Roger Goodell.

And if Goodell didn't want him to do TV, I believe it would behoove Payton not to. Goodell could make his NFL life miserable.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

They should make him work arena games.
    Go Gators!

Payton sounded anything but contrite in the interview I heard... Much different than the defensive coordinator's mea culpa.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Payton sounded anything but contrite in the interview I heard... Much different than the defensive coordinator's mea culpa.
    Why would he be contrite? Unlike Williams, who is suspended indefinitely, Payton is getting a one year ban and can make up some of the money working for CBS, Fox, NBC, or ESPN for one season. If anything, its a one year vacation with a HOF mentor likely holding down the fort for one season.

I don't see why that'd anger the commissioner. It'd help generate interest in the NFL and it'd be great for the New Orleans fans who he didn't want to punish in the first place. I think he'd be fine with it
    Apply the same scenario to USC in football. You have a coach (Pete Carroll) who disobeyed the rules but in this case jumped ship before any penalties came down. USC hired another shady coach in Lane Kiffin who was an assistant for said head coach.

Granted, Parcells is a HOF head coach who is respected throughout NFL circles and Lane Kiffin is riding the coattails of his father, but its the fact that its supposed to be a punishment and its backfiring considerably.

The Saints are getting a better coach as a one year stopgap, highly unlikely to lose any continuity between Parcells and Payton.

Payton gets a year off and can work for a network until his suspension is up.

Tell me how the whole thing isn't a slap in the face to the Commissioner?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Turn Off Ads?