Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Madson out for the year!

Madson out for the year!

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP)óCincinnati Reds closer Ryan Madson has a torn ligament in his pitching elbow and will miss the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Madson out for the year!

bring back tom hume

Somewhere in Wisconsin people have been smiling this week.

This is a terrible punch to the gut. Can't help but think they will put Masset in the closing roll now. At least until mid-season then make a trade.

So basically we payed this gimp 8.5 million to show up to Spring Training with a Reds uniform and get our hopes up for nothing.

Redlegs_87

No need to call the dude a gimp. It isn't like he went in to spring training going my elbow is going to blow out anytime now and I'll get to under go surgery and take in 8.5 mil for nothing!

Stuff happens deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs_87 View Post
    No need to call the dude a gimp. It isn't like he went in to spring training going my elbow is going to blow out anytime now and I'll get to under go surgery and take in 8.5 mil for nothing!

Stuff happens deal with it.
    I have no choice but to deal with it, but I don't like it, as a Reds fan I have dealt with it all my life.

Redlegs_87

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I have no choice but to deal with it, but I don't like it, as a Reds fan I have dealt with it all my life.
    My bad for snapping at you. Seeing how much venom people had against Madson on twitter was really ticking me off.

At least it wasn't a starting pitcher. The only real bad thing other then him being hurt coming out of this is if they put Chapman back in the pen which would be such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs_87 View Post
    My bad for snapping at you. Seeing how much venom people had against Madson on twitter was really ticking me off.

At least it wasn't a starting pitcher. The only real bad thing other then him being hurt coming out of this is if they put Chapman back in the pen which would be such a waste.
    Don't feel bad, I was scapegoating him, because I really do question the toughness of today's players.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

After seeing Chapman start Friday, there's no reason why he should still be pitching from the pen.
    Choo got it, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    After seeing Chapman start Friday, there's no reason why he should still be pitching from the pen.
    +1. Stopping his progress toward being a starter once again would only add insult to injury. If someone has to be converted to a reliever, fine, as long as his last name isn't Chapman. I am comfortable with Masset as a closer if it comes to that.

Dang that is real bad to hear. I may be a Cards fan but losing a potential key player is a tough blow and nothing I want to see.

I'm down here in NASCAR country and know that in any sport, you want to beat the other team with both teams at full strength, not because one team lost what was planned as a key piece of their team.

I saw an earlier post about the negative posts on twitter by the average jerk people and some of you probably lurk at CardsTalk. To be honest, I used to belong to the cesspool of CT but found a less active but more sensible site with Cards fans, here's the thread that informed me about Madson:

http://s7.zetaboards.com/stlouislege...pic/8666153/1/

I have been a member here for 8 months +/- and just wanted y'all to know that I think this site is real civil for the most part and I appreciate it.

FYI: It'll take A LOT more than being civil to convert me.

[QUOTE=DirtyBaker;2548881 I am comfortable with Masset as a closer if it comes to that.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the same Nick Masset who couldn't get out of his own way last year. The guy you couln't trust in the 7th inning with a 5 run lead? That Nick Masset? As closer?

I've often wondered why more teams don't take a situational approach to the late innings. Use your best when the other team's middle of the lineup is at the plate. If that's the 8th inning, that's the time to throw your best at em. If the Cards have Beltran, Berkman and Holliday coming up in the 7th of a 1 run game, and our starter's getting tired, I want Marshall in the game. Let Ondrusek, Masset, Arredondo or Lecure close that game. I realize you have to be able to predict well and know when to have them get loose, but it seems to me that's doable in most games instead of having pre-assigned innings for different guys.

I also like the idea of converting Arroyo to late innings. Maybe he can find a bit more velocity if he only has to throw an inning. If Chapman keeps it up he needs to be in the rotation right behind Cueto and Latos.

Turn Off Ads?