Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Madson out for the year!

Re: Madson out for the year!

The chances Bronson is moved to the pen is 0% so it comes down to Chapmen in the pen which is really sad...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    If Chapman keeps it up he needs to be in the rotation right behind Cueto and Latos.

In the last two years, right out of college and despite being shut down both seasons, Mike Leake has won 20 games as a starter. But you're ready to put a guy who has never won a ML game as a starter ahead of him in the rotation. What am i missing?

Ah, Nuts!

This is the year

well here we go again. Unfortunately us cincy fans are used to getting our hopes up and then completely shat upon.

Only thing we can do is somehow hope we can over come a devastating blow like this.

UGGHHHH so frustrating.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    well here we go again. Unfortunately us cincy fans are used to getting our hopes up and then completely shat upon.

Only thing we can do is somehow hope we can over come a devastating blow like this.

UGGHHHH so frustrating.
    Card's overcame a bigger blow last year. Nothing is lost.

I'm more upset over wasting 8.5 mil. dollars for nothing. This is only a pitcher that throws 1 inning per game, IMO closers are overrated, someone WILL be able to fill the void, I'm just pissed we wasted 8.5 mil on this wuss.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Seriously, only the Reds. It's just unreal.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Couldn't they have just given him a bunch of cortisone shots all year? Shutting down your 8.5 million dollar closer when this is supposed to be a year to go for it all wasn't in the best interest of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Seriously, only the Reds. It's just unreal.

I live in a city where in spring training last year, they lost who might have been the best starter in the majors.

Then they went on to win the World Series.

I've often wondered why more teams don't take a situational approach to the late innings. Use your best when the other team's middle of the lineup is at the plate. If that's the 8th inning, that's the time to throw your best at em. If the Cards have Beltran, Berkman and Holliday coming up in the 7th of a 1 run game, and our starter's getting tired, I want Marshall in the game. Let Ondrusek, Masset, Arredondo or Lecure close that game. I realize you have to be able to predict well and know when to have them get loose, but it seems to me that's doable in most games instead of having pre-assigned innings for different guys.
    This is always the opinion I have had. It doesn't make sense to keep your (theoretically) best reliever for the ninth inning just so he can rack up an arbitrary 'save' stat. Use your best pitcher in the highest leverage situation - if it's the top of the eighth and the middle of the order is coming up while we're ahead by one, use Marshall - don't save him for the ninth just so he can pad his numbers. I wish more managers subscribed to this theory.
    Last edited by [deleted]; 03-25-2012 at 06:33 PM.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Madson feels as if he let the team down.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

So all he has to do is give back the 8.5 million and everybody will feel a lot better.

I've often wondered why more teams don't take a situational approach to the late innings. Use your best when the other team's middle of the lineup is at the plate. If that's the 8th inning, that's the time to throw your best at em. If the Cards have Beltran, Berkman and Holliday coming up in the 7th of a 1 run game, and our starter's getting tired, I want Marshall in the game. Let Ondrusek, Masset, Arredondo or Lecure close that game. I realize you have to be able to predict well and know when to have them get loose, but it seems to me that's doable in most games instead of having pre-assigned innings for different guys.
    Bullpen by committee just does not work, many have tried few successfully

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

As well he should, I'm glad he admits it. I wish the Dr.s would just give him cortisone shots all year instead of TJ surg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    So all he has to do is give back the 8.5 million and everybody will feel a lot better.
    That would be stupid for him to do, he hurt himself throwing side sessions during SP. As long as a player gets hurt while doing team duties he should NEVER return any money. That is the wonderful thing about baseball, guaranteed contracts, you know you can give it everything you have at all times. Because if you get hurt the team can not cut you and screw you over.

He may never pitch again at the big league level. Not all TJ surgeries go well. This could very well be his last million dollar contract.

Turn Off Ads?