Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade for a reliever?

Trade for a reliever?

Not necessarily a closer, but another late inning bullpenner could help in light of Madson's injury.

Reds could trade Bailey, Francisco, Frazier, Janish, Francis, Heisey, or prospects. No need to deal from the core.

Relievers aren't popular around here, unclear to me anyone would want to do this.

Also, Reds do have some bullpen depth so a trade isn't essential.

But one more late innings veteran might help and the Reds certainly have the trading chips.

Views?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade for a reliever?

The Rangers have been trying to trade Koji Uehara. He would likely be expensive and has pitched poorly this spring, but he has been fantastic the last few years.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Just move Bailey to the pen. We're deeper than most pens out there as is.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

If Marshall is going to be the closer, I wouldn't mind another lefty. Mike Gonzlaez is still a free agent I think.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I think our free agent money is gone, we would have to do a trade if we do anything at all. I don't get the feeling that Walt will go after anyone. It will be interesting to see what happens, Homer or Francis to the pen as a long reliever? I think it will be hard to keep Chapman out of the rotation with the spring he's had.
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

No way. We don't need a reliever. At least not at the expense of anyone worthwhile - maybe if you can pry a decent arm away for Juan Francisco and settle on Frazier as Rolen's heir at third base for the time being. The Reds have Francis, Judy, Brackman and Chapman as alternative possibilities and if Arredondo isn't the closer on opening day Baker is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    If Marshall is going to be the closer, I wouldn't mind another lefty. Mike Gonzlaez is still a free agent I think.
    I saw recently that Boston's looking at him. I think he'd be an asset as a middle innings guy.

As far as a trade is concerned, I'd be okay with shopping Francisco, who I like. Opening up a spot for Frazier could be important.

If they stand pat, I can see Francis in the pen.
    Last edited by tixe; 03-25-2012 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I saw recently that Boston's looking at him. I think he'd be an asset as a middle innings guy.

As far as a trade is concerned, I'd be okay with shopping Francisco, who I like. Opening up a spot for Frazier could be important.

If they stand pat, I can see Francis in the pen.
    Francisco is the only realistic option as a lefty bat on the bench. I don't see him going anywhere.

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

That's true, and something I keep forgetting about this team.

The Royals would probably be interested in hearing offers for Jonathan Broxton.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Even with Soria done for the year too?

The Royals are still rebuilding, and Greg Holland is a cheaper (and arguably more effective) option as their closer. They probably want to wait and deal Broxton to a contender later this season, but he's an obvious target for the Reds right now.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Just move Bailey to the pen. We're deeper than most pens out there as is.
    Losing Madson mean more innings for Ondrusek and Masset. Not good.

Also, has Bill Bray even thrown a pitch yet?
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Reds cut Fisher, Zavada, Mahay, Brackman today.

They now have six of the expected relievers on the team. Masset, Bray, Marshall, Ondrusek, Lecure, Arredondo.

Seventh relief spot is available for Chapman, Bailey, Francis.

Reds probably want Chapman as a starter. Bailey and Francis are starters.

Trade for the seventh reliever? Would not be shocked at all.

If Marshall becomes the closer, they really need a late inning lefty. Chapman would solve that problem, but I'd hate to see him moved out there when he's finally gotten to 5 innings. I was all for keeping Chapman in the pen and passing on spending resources on a reliever, but now that the resources are spent and Chapman is just about stretched out, I wouldn't change now. I'd see how it plays out with Bray and Francis as the 2 lefties unless they can get another for a spare part. I wouldn't trade anything that has a future with the team.

If the Reds let some one else close and keep Marshall in the late inning lefty role, they really don't need to acquire anyone. I'd close with Arredondo, Marshall and Masset Set-up. Ondrusek and Bray in the middle. Lecure and Francis as the long men. That pen would be as deep, balanced and talented as any team in the NL with the possible exception of San Francisco.

Turn Off Ads?