Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in here collect cards?

RotoHester

Anyone in here collect cards?

If so, lets see some of your good stuff. Where do you buy/sell? Do you frequent any sport card forums?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone in here collect cards?

I used to collect but haven't bought anything for several years. My favorite cards are pre-war tobacco cards. Most modern cards don't do anything for me but I do love the "by the letter" cards.

Most of my cards are from the 1970's. I have Ken Griffey and Dave Concepcion's Rookie. I have Ozzie Smith's rookie card.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I too used to collect. Haven't bought anything in years. I have about 200 autographs in my collection, 90% of are star type players or were at one point. I think my HOF autograph collection is between 50-75 guys. I really only collected rookies and autographs since they were the only things that hold much value.

Also wojo.... your camera is incredibly out of focus man. Really doesn't do the cards justice when I feel like I need glasses to see them.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Last time I checked, all my cards have actually depreciated in the last 15 years rather than grown in value.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Last time I checked, all my cards have actually depreciated in the last 15 years rather than grown in value.
    That depends on the cards too. The 80's were terrible for cards for the most part. 89 UD was a big stepping stone, but for the most part, the 80s were so incredibly mass produced that it really hurt the prices of anything from 87-95 once the internet rolled around and the local card shops weren't the only place to get something, so prices actually normalized rather than what someone was able to get for it because there were 3 card shops in town. But, rookie cards, for the most part, have kept relative value outside of a short stretch where there are 15 million 1987 Topps Traded Barry Larkin rookie cards. Inserts/parallels from those time periods though.... they have plummeted in value because they used to be tough to come by because only card shops had the power to put a true price on the card, where as now, anyone with an internet connection can and instead of only seeing 3-4 of that card in your town a year, Ebay has 8000 of them listed a year.

Once people started talking about the value of cards, collecting them lost their value IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Once people started talking about the value of cards, collecting them lost their value IMHO.
    Kind of my sentiment. That is why I love my old deadball era cards. People always ask me about the value thinking they are worth a mint; they're not, they're just really cool.

Used to collect. I was only interested in the fifties, sixties, and seventies.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Until they are given to me for free and every one of them that I want, you have to talk about the value of them.

Yeah, I do.
    I am presently going after my 1940s/1950s Hall of Famers. Picked up 1949 Duke Snider and Larry Doby rookies recently. This leaves the likes of the 1952 Topps Mantle, 1951 Bowman Mantle, Aaron rookie, Clemente rookie, Paige rookie, Jackie Robinson rookie and a little bit more than a handful of 1952 Topps high numbers to go.
    I've also been working on my Reds cards from the same era. Unfortunately, the only ones I am missing are from that 1952 Topps high number set, and a rookie card of some guy named Rose.
    And, I am still working on a 1933 Goudey set. The only cards I am missing are the 3 Babe Ruths, 2 Lou Gehrigs and Napoleon Lajoe.

I collected in the 70's and 80's. My favorite thing was trying to put together whole sets of various years. I also was able to sell a bunch of cards to get a down payment for our first house. Not as exciting as it sounds, because it was a 900 square foot starter home.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Until they are given to me for free and every one of them that I want, you have to talk about the value of them.
    If kids can't afford to buy them and actually hope to collect the ones they want, it's of little value..... There is little magic to collecting them and certainly no trading etc.

So no you don't have to talk about the value of them because you can get along just fine without them.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

They call me "chef"

What jojo is trying to say is "Think about the children, Doug."

If I had extra extra cash I would relive my childhood and dive back into the mass populated card world. I still have fond memories of collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    What jojo is trying to say is "Think about the children, Doug."

If I had extra extra cash I would relive my childhood and dive back into the mass populated card world. I still have fond memories of collecting.
    When I was 10 years old I was thinking about the value of cards, because I still had "wants and needs" for what I was collecting. I wanted that 1994 Diamond Kings Ken Griffey Jr card from the card shop. But it was $12 and I didn't have that much money. Even as a kid, it mattered, at least to me.

Turn Off Ads?