Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in here collect cards?

Re: Anyone in here collect cards?

When I was a kid, cards were supposed to be touched and not put into plastic. Now cards are supposed to be put in plastic and never touched.

Get off of my lawn!
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

My nephew's favorite series was 1999 Fleer Ultra Series 2. Value wise a very cheap series but he loved those cards and couldn't stop buying packs and organizing them. I am much older than him but I still go by a personal "what cards look cooler/nicer" scale than a strict money value scale. Some of the most rare, expensive new cards look hideous.

Sold mine in the eighties to pay for my return to college. Kept a few, including a Walter Payton rookie

I used to. When I got a job and made some money I daveled in buying some of the cards from yesteryear. My favorite is a Frank Robinson rookie, have a couple of Mickey Mantles, have a cool Ernie Lombardi card.

Barry Larkin was my favorite player growing up and I used to collect and trade for all his cards. I remember bartering years ago in grade school for your favorite players. Now I just go onto ebay and for less than $10 I can wind with a lot of 100's of Barry Larkins. I still try to buy one pack a year, but around $3/pack I am not getting anything special.

I will always have a soft spot for these ...

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/200...-stickers.html

As much as I loved collecting cards, I loved the stickers that came with the Fleer cards. Especially the 1983 set.

I still have my collection, but I lost interest in it years ago. It's now just a nostalgic part of my basement.

When I was a kid, collecting those cards was the most fun we had in our tiny town of 700 people. A group of us would get together and swap cards, talk about the players and teams. We never really thought of the value of the cards, the value to us was entertainment. Our cards were seperated by team with rubber bands, oh the horror, !
    "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    I will always have a soft spot for these ...

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/200...-stickers.html

As much as I loved collecting cards, I loved the stickers that came with the Fleer cards. Especially the 1983 set.
    Had a soft spot for the cloth stickers from the 70's. :beer me:

RotoHester

I do it to pass the time. I have Crohn's disease and it pretty much keeps me shacked up at home all day and night with the occasional exception. I am a HUGE baseball fan and watch every game, no matter the team, on TV as well as the MLBtv package that I purchase every year.

I buy and sell cards as a way to make an extra buck but that has slowed down since I lost my job in Jan. Now I just sell to try and pay the bills!

*Poor Pitiful Me Story time over*

I do have a few nice looking Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, and Aroldis Chapman autos that will stay in my PC. I never had the chance to pick up any Votto's cheap as his prices went from decent to outrageous in no time!

I collected thousands between roughly 1978 and 1987. George Foster was my favorite player and I couldn't have been more excited when I got his rookie card from a local shop.

I still have most of them, the best ones in plastic sleeves but all of them in shoeboxes. I haven't looked at them in years and I'm a little afraid of what kind of condition they might be in. I loved collecting though; great part of my childhood/adolescence.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I still collect. I am trying to scratch together enough change to get a box of 2012 Topps Tribute. $300 a box, but well worth it. Do a quick ebay search of 2012 Topps Tribute auto, and you will see why this product is so expensive. Simply gorgeous. As is the case with every year I will be buying several boxes of Topps Chrome. I mostly collect Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, Jermaine Gresham, and Rey Maualuga.
    Let's get weird!

RotoHester

I agree, the new Tribute cards are amazing. I've always been a fan of the Tributes and Triple Thread cards

They call me "chef"

Bought a cheapie $15 box of Topps 2012 Opening Day series. Out of 77 total cards I only got two Reds!

A Mat Latos card of him delivering a pitch in a digitally altered Reds jersey. And a Drew Stubbs card of him swinging and not striking out- which might be digitally altered too. :-)

I'm slowly putting together all the Topps Reds team sets. Have everything from 1973 on, with the exception of 1975.

Figure it's a pretty long term project, something I want to do with my kids as they get older.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I'm slowly putting together all the Topps Reds team sets. Have everything from 1973 on, with the exception of 1975.

Figure it's a pretty long term project, something I want to do with my kids as they get older.
    I am working on a 1975 Topps set, or well, was. One of my favorite sets ever. Just a great set. Not the cheapest to put together though given how condition sensitive that set is.

I have a huge collection of baseball cards. I have every Topps complete set from 1971 to the early 90's. I only need Nolan Ryans's 1970 rookie card to have that complete set. I sorta fell out of it a few years ago and haven't gotten any since. A good portion of the 1970's I have are the ones I bought in packs of cards back then. They are kinda beat up but they mean more to me that way. 1971 is my favorite year. I just really like the look of that year for some reason.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?