Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in here collect cards?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Anyone in here collect cards?

Nolan Ryan's rookie card is in the 1968 Topps set.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nolan Ryan's rookie card is in the 1968 Topps set.
    Your right. I don't know why I said that. I knew that. I do have his rookie card. Just not in very good condition.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I am working on a 1975 Topps set, or well, was. One of my favorite sets ever. Just a great set. Not the cheapest to put together though given how condition sensitive that set is.
    It's one of my favorites also. I've been working backwards grabbing the easy team sets first, and it's the first one I haven't been able to just grab on eBay. I'll have to build it single by single (and everything pre-1973 also it looks like), so I've been waiting until my boys get a little older.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I am working on a 1975 Topps set, or well, was. One of my favorite sets ever. Just a great set. Not the cheapest to put together though given how condition sensitive that set is.
    Years ago my Godfather gave me a ton of those cards for Christmas. Being a kid I loved the Robin Young and George Brett Rookie cards. I always like the 1974 Topps a little better because I didn't have as many. I also loved those older cards with the Topps Rookie of the Year trophy in the corner of the card. There was just something cool about that.

1978 Topps is my favorite set, partly because that was my introduction to the hobby. My mom bought me my first pack that year when I was 9, and I was hooked. Also, the photos just seemed so crisp and really brought the players to life, especially when you consider that you only got to see some of these guys on TV one day a week if you were lucky.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I learned how to read before kindergarten by having my mom read the back of topps cards to me back in 1985. When we went to 7/11 for candy after preschool, my sister would always get skittles, and I'd get a pack of baseball cards...

My favorite card that I currently own is a bowman chrome first card/rc Orange Refractor Johnny Cueto /25. I also own a gold refractor /50, a blue refractor /150, an x-fractor, and a refractor... If Cueto ever wins a Cy Young, I can cash in.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    My favorite card that I currently own is a bowman chrome first card/rc Orange Refractor Johnny Cueto /25. I also own a gold refractor /50, a blue refractor /150, an x-fractor, and a refractor... If Cueto ever wins a Cy Young, I can cash in.
    Those Bowman Chrome Orange refractors are beautiful. I've already stated my distaste for most modern cards, but the Bowman inserts are great.

I really don't know why I saved the gum. It hasn't gone up in value one penny.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I still have an unopened box of 1988 Donruss with gum in the packs. The cards are absolutely worthless.... so many times I have thought about trying some of the gum.

The gum comes in handy if you ever have to patch a hole in a radiator, or heat shield on a space shuttle. It also has anti viral properties, so if you have a nasty case of staph and zyvox doesn't work you just slap a piece of that gum on there and it clears it up in a day or two. Just don't eat it... don't ever eat it.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    No worse than a Duane Walker card.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Your right. I don't know why I said that. I knew that. I do have his rookie card. Just not in very good condition.
    It might not be his rookie card, but it is still a high number, and a very tough card to get. I paid about 100 for a card that was in pretty tough condition to finish my set from 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    1978 Topps is my favorite set, partly because that was my introduction to the hobby. My mom bought me my first pack that year when I was 9, and I was hooked. Also, the photos just seemed so crisp and really brought the players to life, especially when you consider that you only got to see some of these guys on TV one day a week if you were lucky.

I had collected in previous years, but the 1978 set was my first major set - I think in the end, I was 20 cards short that year. I still love it, and am counting down the years (15) until the Topps Heritage set.

RotoHester

I just sold an unopened wax box of 1988 Topps. Pretty sure those came with gum so someone just purchased 15 packs of goodness.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

The 1975 set is gorgeous. I really like the newer Topps mini's they did in its image. I'm trying to win a Votto one on ebay...

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

The 1978 set is not one of my favorites- I'm a 1975-1977 guy myself. But lookijg at that Griffey card has me second guessing. I also liked the 1979 set.

Turn Off Ads?