Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52

Thread: Mad Men is back!

  1. #31
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,450

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Is Joan's baby Roger Sterling's?
    Yes.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    I CANNOT believe Peggy left Sterling Cooper. Obviously, Don could not believe it either.

    Surely she will return to Sterling Cooper some day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  4. #33
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    This season lost me somewhat. I was afraid this was going to happen with all the fanfare coming into it. What made this show so great, IMO, was that it was pure character exploration. There weren't that many wild plot twists. It was very subtle in that regard. The plot was secondary to the characters.

    This season the characters have become much more one dimensional and they've littered us with all these fantastical plots that don't seem fitting with the previous seasons of the show. It appears to me they're reaching for a more mass audience now and have lost much of the genius of the show. This almost always happens to these kinds of shows.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  5. #34
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    I've enjoyed this season. I'm glad Betty is getting less and less attention. What a boring character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  6. #35
    Winning is fun.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Urbana, OH
    Posts
    806

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    This season the characters have become much more one dimensional and they've littered us with all these fantastical plots that don't seem fitting with the previous seasons of the show.
    Such as?

  7. #36
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    Such as?
    Pete and his train car buddy's wife. The whole Joan being asked to prostitute herself to land a big account (just a stupid story line, IMO). Kinsey and the Hari Krishna thing with his girl seducing Harry. Lane has become a pathetic whiner of a character with no redeeming qualities and I want to fast forward every time he's on screen.

    It's just my opinion, but what I loved about the show was the depth of the characters and how little the underlying plots really mattered in my enjoyment of the show. It was all about exploring the complexity of these people. My perception of season 5 is that they've said "ooooo, everyone's watching now, let's see how creative we can get with 'intriguing' plot twists." It's become way to soap opera like for my taste.

    All the characters seem to have lost that depth that I liked so much. They have one characteristic they're focusing on this season at the expense of all others. Every character could be labeled pretty easily in season 5 if you ask me. Even Don has become someone very uninteresting. I have no problem evolving a character, even maturing in Don's case which is what he seems to have done. But there's nothing all the "interesting" about him anymore. He's all googly-eyed over his new wife and struggles some with her chosen career path, but he's become boring, IMO. That's something I never thought could happen. I can't think of any characters that are all that interesting this season.

    I still like the show and look forward to watching it. It's just lost some of its appeal for me.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  8. #37
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,316

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Should have searched for this thread before posting in the TV thread. This past episode may have been my favorite episode in the show's history. I may be forgetting some but either way it's up there.

    I thought Peggy smiling just before she got on the elevator was perfect. I'm sure she's going to battle SCDP for some accounts and that will be fun.

  9. #38
    Winning is fun.
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Urbana, OH
    Posts
    806

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Pete and his train car buddy's wife. The whole Joan being asked to prostitute herself to land a big account (just a stupid story line, IMO). Kinsey and the Hari Krishna thing with his girl seducing Harry. Lane has become a pathetic whiner of a character with no redeeming qualities and I want to fast forward every time he's on screen.

    It's just my opinion, but what I loved about the show was the depth of the characters and how little the underlying plots really mattered in my enjoyment of the show. It was all about exploring the complexity of these people. My perception of season 5 is that they've said "ooooo, everyone's watching now, let's see how creative we can get with 'intriguing' plot twists." It's become way to soap opera like for my taste.

    All the characters seem to have lost that depth that I liked so much. They have one characteristic they're focusing on this season at the expense of all others. Every character could be labeled pretty easily in season 5 if you ask me. Even Don has become someone very uninteresting. I have no problem evolving a character, even maturing in Don's case which is what he seems to have done. But there's nothing all the "interesting" about him anymore. He's all googly-eyed over his new wife and struggles some with her chosen career path, but he's become boring, IMO. That's something I never thought could happen. I can't think of any characters that are all that interesting this season.

    I still like the show and look forward to watching it. It's just lost some of its appeal for me.
    I disagree. I think this season has been fantastic. The Joan storyline parallels Sal when Don basically asked him to prostitute himself out to keep Lucky Strike. It was interesting to see that Don had no problem asking Sal to do what he would not even think of asking Joan. Pete is morphing into old Don... bored with the suburban life and figuring there has to be more out there. Of course, he doesn't have the Don factor to be Don but he's a guy who thought that work alone would fulfill him and is finding out that isn't the case. I don't see how Pete sleeping with the train guy's wife is any more of a soap opera than Don sleeping with Jimmy Barrett's wife. I totally agree with you that old Don is better and I think we'll eventually see that Don back, but there has to be some sort of change or attempt at changing of your main character over five seasons. Especially a character like Don.

    I can see where you don't like the storylines as you're going to like what you're going to like. But I can't see where you'd characterize them to be out of the ordinary for Mad Men. I don't see it being more of a soap opera than past seasons at all.

  10. #39
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,984

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Lane has become a pathetic whiner of a character with no redeeming qualities and I want to fast forward every time he's on screen.
    I didn't expect it until Joan tried to open his office door. I guess, fewer fast forwarding for you?

  11. #40
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Ho-lee CRAP! Amazing episode. Amazing season. This may be the best Mad Men season so far. It's very rare that a 5th season of any show is such high quality, usually you're on the downswing by then. If this isn't the best show of the past 10 or so years I don't know what is. I guess you could throw Breaking Bad in the running.

  12. #41
    A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,467

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Ho-lee CRAP! Amazing episode. Amazing season. This may be the best Mad Men season so far. It's very rare that a 5th season of any show is such high quality, usually you're on the downswing by then. If this isn't the best show of the past 10 or so years I don't know what is. I guess you could throw Breaking Bad in the running.
    The Wire actually made it's debut 10 years ago.

    But Mad Men and Breaking Bad would be my 2/3 in some order.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

  13. #42
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The Wire actually made it's debut 10 years ago.

    But Mad Men and Breaking Bad would be my 2/3 in some order.
    Forgot about The Wire.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

  14. #43
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,189

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The Wire actually made it's debut 10 years ago.

    But Mad Men and Breaking Bad would be my 2/3 in some order.
    I think the wire puts those two series to shame. I am 3 seasons through Breaking Bad and it continues to get better. The first season was a little slow to get started but it really picked up. I would go 1. The Wire 2. Mad Men 3. Breaking Bad. But that is up for debate.

  15. #44
    Pre-tty, pre-tty good!! MWM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    12,324

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    You have The Wire, Lost, The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Rescue Me (I liked better than Mad Men), Curb Your Enthusiasm (if we're counting comedies). But Mad Men is definitely on the list. This was actually my least favorite of the seasons, but it was still very good and I look forward to watching every week.

    I think Lost was genius until the last season, maybe the best thing I've ever seen. But the ending left me a little empty as I just don't think they had any good way to wind things down.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

  16. #45
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,451

    Re: Mad Men is back!

    Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It's just my opinion, but what I loved about the show was the depth of the characters and how little the underlying plots really mattered in my enjoyment of the show. It was all about exploring the complexity of these people. My perception of season 5 is that they've said "ooooo, everyone's watching now, let's see how creative we can get with 'intriguing' plot twists." It's become way to soap opera like for my taste.
    IMO, the long delay between seasons gave Matthew Weiner so much time to come up with ideas that he's struggling to fit all of the story arcs into a single season. This season seems to be aimed so heavily at giving every character in the ensemble something meaty to do, that it's sacrificing depth.

    Frankly, in previous seasons, I was turned off by some of the pugnacious quotes by the actors about the earth-shattering importance of this show to the medium. It's still just a show, it's not a cure for cancer. But it's also a good show and if the mistakes of this season take some of the air out of those inflated egos, I don't mind if it slips a bit.
    /r/reds


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25