Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Masset to start season on DL

  1. #1
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,388

    Masset to start season on DL

    RT @JimDayTV: More bad news: Masset will start season on DL #reds
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Relievers are dropping like flies... only one of the "M Men" left. We should look to encase Marshall in a large bubble until at least the end of ST.



    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  4. #3
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    I think this is a precaution. Since becoming a Red, he has almost always been great as long as he doesn't pitch in April.

  5. #4
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Since becoming a Red, he has almost always been great as long as he doesn't pitch in April.
    Great or healthy? I want to make sure I understand. Of course I hope he is healthy and pitches lights out as long as he is on the team. But he has been frustrating to this fan. Perhaps I bought into the hype about "if he can put it altogether he has great stuff" and have too high of expectations.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  6. #5
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,168

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Does somebody want to set up a poll to decide which RZer gets the last bullpen spot?
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

  7. #6
    Member mattfeet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Here we go.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,570

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Great or healthy? I want to make sure I understand. Of course I hope he is healthy and pitches lights out as long as he is on the team. But he has been frustrating to this fan. Perhaps I bought into the hype about "if he can put it altogether he has great stuff" and have too high of expectations.
    He was lights out in 2009, Masset.

    Since then, he's been frustrating.

    He does have very good stuff and can be terrific in stretches.

    I was surprised the Reds gave him a two-year deal this off-season.

    Maybe when he comes back, he'll be the Masset of 2009 again. Hope so.

  9. #8
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Great or healthy? I want to make sure I understand. Of course I hope he is healthy and pitches lights out as long as he is on the team. But he has been frustrating to this fan. Perhaps I bought into the hype about "if he can put it altogether he has great stuff" and have too high of expectations.
    Maybe he's a 'slow starter' (if that actually exists), but he has been far from frustrating outside of April. Look at the splits . . .

    Nick Masset as a Red by month:
    Code:
    	W	L	W-L%	ERA	IP	H	ER	BB	SO	WHIP
    April	3	4	.429	5.77	34.1	38	22	23	36	1.777
    May	2	2	.500	2.60	34.2	30	10	13	45	1.240
    June	3	0	1.000	2.72	36.1	28	11	13	25	1.128
    July	0	1	.000	2.72	39.2	37	12	14	37	1.286
    August	2	2	.500	2.84	57.0	52	18	17	47	1.211
    Sept	3	2	.600	2.11	38.1	28	9	13	38	1.070

  10. #9
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,171

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Is this really a big deal? Correct me if I am wrong, but won't the Reds be able to retro-activate to the last time he threw in a Major League spring training game? They can use him in minor league games during the meantime can't they? He also could be activated just a few days into the season.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,570

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Maybe he's a 'slow starter' (if that actually exists), but he has been far from frustrating outside of April. Look at the splits . . .

    Nick Masset as a Red by month:
    Code:
    	W	L	W-L%	ERA	IP	H	ER	BB	SO	WHIP
    April	3	4	.429	5.77	34.1	38	22	23	36	1.777
    May	2	2	.500	2.60	34.2	30	10	13	45	1.240
    June	3	0	1.000	2.72	36.1	28	11	13	25	1.128
    July	0	1	.000	2.72	39.2	37	12	14	37	1.286
    August	2	2	.500	2.84	57.0	52	18	17	47	1.211
    Sept	3	2	.600	2.11	38.1	28	9	13	38	1.070
    Last year Masset had a 7.20 ERA in August and a 3.97 in July. He's been less consistent in the more recent years.

  12. #11
    Beer is good!! George Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,740

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    This season is starting off very badly.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

  13. #12
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Last year Masset had a 7.20 ERA in August and a 3.97 in July. He's been less consistent in the more recent years.
    Sure, but how is that any more or less frustrating than every single pitcher in baseball, especially relievers? I wouldn't call Masset 'frustrating'--I'd call him streaky. But overall, he has been a very good pitcher for the Reds outside of April.

  14. #13
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,041

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Last year it was the starting pitching being struck down like a plague, this year it is the relievers.

    I irrationally blame it on training in arizona.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,570

    Re: Masset to start season on DL

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Sure, but how is that any more or less frustrating than every single pitcher in baseball, especially relievers? I wouldn't call Masset 'frustrating'--I'd call him streaky. But overall, he has been a very good pitcher for the Reds outside of April.
    Matter of expectations.

    I thought Masset would be better than this.

    He was great in 2009. He had the bad April in 2010 and some other months weren't so hot. He was hot in July and August that year.

    Last year, bad April, then good, then bad July and August.

    At one point, I thought Masset would be a closer candidate. No way now.

    You're right, he's not worse than many other guys. But I don't view Masset as a top notch reliever unless he rebounds.

    BTW, Masset's WHIP for 2011 was over 1.5. That is not good.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25