Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bullpen Thoughts

Bullpen Thoughts

I see no other option than for Walt to scan the waiver wire or make a deal for at least one if not two arms to add to the pen till Massett gets back on track.
    1. Who could possibly be available on waivers or thru free agency?
    2. Is it time to deal Homer possibly for a young bullpen arm?

3. Don't feel we have enough bench depth to deal Heisey for help.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bullpen Thoughts

Don't deal Homer for bull pen help

Don't deal Heisey for bull pen help

Fransisco, maybe for a young, major league ready reliever. But not the other two. Still need 7 starters to get thru the season and you need Heisey as the 4th outfielder.

Trading Francisco is a viable option, as is waiting out the injuries with what we have. Those are the best options I see. We've got next to no depth in the outfield; if we're going with Bruce/Stubbs/Ludwick/Heisey as the main four, then we're left with Frazier who may not make the team, Francisco and Cairo who only play a bad LF, Phipps in AAA, and that's basically it. Heisey stays. Without Homer, we're trusting in Chapman/Francis to not screw the pooch. If only one of them does and somebody else does, then we're scraping the dregs. Last year could repeat itself very, very easily.

In AAA, we've got Judy if he clears waivers, Fisher, Brackman, Francis if he's willing to try out the bullpen, Smith, and Chapman if we really need him. None are ideal, but none of them are Mike Lincoln. I think we'll survive.

Francis makes the team out of camp and gets inserted into the bullpen IMO. Hes probably gonna have a few starts this year too. Id like to see Brackman or even Judy ready for a call-up. Hopefully one or the other can figure it out in Louisville. Id like to see Brackman reach his potential.

I think counting on Brackman for anything other than doodly squat takes a huge leap of faith. I agree that "lighten up Francis" will make the team as a reliever. But even with Bray, that leaves them one sort.

I think it's likely that Walt will scan the waivers for a serviceable reliever till Masset can come back.

Peter Gammons' column on the Reds' bullpen.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

My two cents on Homer Bailey. I have never ever in all my life read about another pitcher not being bullpen material because he takes too long to warm up. Never. Now, admittedly, I don't follow the other teams closely. So it may have happened previously. But that seems odd to me.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Turn Off Ads?