Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #49 prospect?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP James Allen

3 11.54%
  • RHP Jonathan Correa

0 0%
  • 1B/OF Danny Dorn

2 7.69%
  • UT Devin Lohman

2 7.69%
  • RHP Kyle McMyne

2 7.69%
  • RHP Erik Miller

1 3.85%
  • RHP Brian Pearl

0 0%
  • RHP Jonathan Perez

6 23.08%
  • UT Cody Puckett

1 3.85%
  • OF/1B Bill Rhinehart

1 3.85%
  • RHP Chad Rogers

0 0%
  • OF Steve Selsky

2 7.69%
  • RHP Mark Serrano

1 3.85%
  • OF Bryson Smith

3 11.54%
  • LHP Clayton Tanner

1 3.85%
  • other (please list below)

1 3.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #49 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #49 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre
    #19 1B Donald Lutz
    #20 OF Denis Phipps
    #21 RHP Tim Crabbe
    #22 RHP Andrew Brackman
    #23 LHP Amir Garrett
    #24 UT Brodie Greene
    #25 LHP Donnie Joseph
    #26 1B/3B Sean Buckley
    #27 3B Junior Arias
    #28 RHP Josh Smith
    #29 2B Ryan Wright
    #30 RHP Drew Cisco
    #31 OF Kyle Waldrop
    #32 RHP Pedro Villarreal
    #33 RHP Josh Judy
    #34 RHP Nick Christiani
    #35 RHP Drew Hayes
    #36 IF Juan Perez
    #37 LHP Chris Manno
    #38 IF Chris Valaika
    #39 RHP Josh Ravin
    #40 RHP Dan Tuttle
    #41 RHP Dan Renken
    #42 LHP Ismael Guillon
    #43 RHP Alejandro Chacin
    #44 RHP Radhames Quezada
    #45 RHP Jake Johnson
    #46 RHP Sal Romano
    #47 RHP Vaughn Covington
    #48 LHP Mitch Clarke

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #49 prospect?

That's what I'm talking about it. We might get Top 100 in at this rate.

At the moment, we should have no problem getting through 50 before Opening Day. But we may need to slightly rush if Josh Judy is gone on waivers since I'd try to replace him on the list.

edit: Nevermind. I just saw that Judy was outrighted to Louisville yesterday.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 03-29-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I am going with the upside and stuff of McMyne here. His ERA was horrible in Billings and in college, but he has that mid-nineties heater and great K numbers. He certainly has things to work out, but I am a big fan of stuff and upside so McMyne is my guy here.

I don't understand why James Allen hasn't gotten any votes. His numbers blow everyone else's out of the water, and he was a fairly-early draft pick. People normally love that combo.

McMyne for me. Fairly big upside there, hopefully he can turn it around.

I like upside--more than most, it seems--but McMyne has shown such little ability to get the ball over the plate that I need to see some improvement before I'm ready to vote for him. To me, he's a lot like Josh Ravin, who walked 6/9ip last year.

Since the last poll came and went so quickly, I thought I'd re-post the pertinent capsules provided by Tom Nichols in his fine series of Dayton previews. This time, James Allen replaces Mitch Clarke.

James Allen was an outstanding relief pitcher at Kansas State University and then with Billings in the Reds organization in 2011, and he could be given a chance as a starter in 2012 with the Dragons. Allen was a seventh round pick last June by the Reds after setting school records for career (31) and single-season (17) saves at Kansas State. The 31 career saves are tied for fourth in Big 12 Conference history. Last spring at Kansas State, Allen went 3-1 with a 1.35 ERA. He was named first team All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association and Collegiate Baseball. After joining the Reds organization, Allen went to Billings and pitched in 22 games, going 2-0 with seven saves and a 1.26 ERA. In 28.2 innings at Billings, he allowed just four earned runs. He walked only five and struck out 39. Opposing batters hit a combined .198 against him. In recent years, the Reds have shown a desire to utilize top prospects who were college relievers as starters in the low minors (Zach Stewart, Brad Boxberger) to allow them to gain more experience and use all of their pitches over longer outings. They might do the same with Allen in 2012.

Erik Miller is a native of Texas who played college baseball at TCU, the same school that once produced current Reds Field Coordinator Freddie Benavides, the supervisor of instruction in the Reds farm system. Miller pitched in 67 games over his three-year career at TCU and as a junior in 2011, went 7-7 with a 4.63 ERA and five saves. Miller had a great high school career in Texas, going 17-1 and earning the honor of 5A Player of the Year in his district. The Reds drafted Miller in the 31st round in 2011 and immediately liked his arm. He was assigned to Billings and showed incredible control, issuing just one walk in 31.1 innings (that is not a typo) while striking out 26. His final record was 3-0 with a 3.45 ERA.

Kyle McMyne is a pitcher drafted on potential despite not having enjoyed a lot of past success. McMyne was a fourth round draft pick by the Reds in 2011 out of Villanova University. He features a fastball that reaches 96 miles per hour and showed steady improvement in college. He went 4-8 with a 4.75 ERA in 14 starts as a junior with Villanova in 2011, striking out 94 (highest total by a Villanova pitcher in more than 50 years) in 77.2 innings for a team that struggled to a 20-32 record (7-20 in the Big East). After turning pro, McMyne went to Billings and made 10 starts, going 1-1 with an ERA of 8.00. He did show flashes of brilliance that he hopes to build upon in 2012. He threw five shutout innings in a start on August 7, and struck out eight over five innings in a start on August 18. Some scouts feel McMyne will thrive as a reliever where he is better able to take advantage of his fastball that will rank among the best in the Midwest League in 2012. McMyne is a 22-year-old right-hander.

Bryson Smith is an interesting prospect to follow in 2012. Smith played college baseball at the University of Florida, a team that advanced to the runner-up spot in the 2011 College World Series. In his senior season with the Gators in 2011, he hit .328 with a pair of home runs. Then, when the post-season began, Smith emerged as Florida's best hitter. In 16 post-season games, he hit .439. He was first selected to the Southeast Conference All-Tournament Team, then chosen to the College World Series All-Tournament Team. Smith was drafted by the Reds in the 34th round and initially assigned to the Goodyear Reds. He played in just six games in Goodyear and hit .385 to earn a promotion to Billings. With the Mustangs, Smith played in 19 games and hit .362 while belting five home runs and driving in 18 runs in just 69 at-bats. His slugging percentage at Billings was .667 and his on-base percentage was .483, both tremendous numbers. Combining his numbers with Goodyear and Billings, Smith batted .368 in his first season of professional baseball. The sample size is small, but the results could not be much better. Something started to click for Smith toward the end of the 2011 college season, and it continued through the summer. Smith is 23 years old and bats from the right side.

Like Smith, Steve Selsky is product of a strong college program. Selsky played at the University of Arizona and had a great sophomore season in 2010 before suffering through a frustrating '11 campaign that caused him to drop to the 33rd round of the draft. In 2010 with the Wildcats, Selsky hit .370 with nine home runs and 52 RBI in 58 games to earn selection to the All-PAC 10 Conference Team. In 2011, he endured injuries (broken wrist, hamstring) that he tried to play through at times, and finished the year at .215 in just 18 games. After signing with the Reds, Selsky was sent to Goodyear, where he played in 20 games and batted .338. He was promoted to Billings for eight games late in the season. Overall, he played in 28 professional games in 2011 and batted .311 with seven home runs and 20 RBI in 106 at-bats.

Selsky was a great high school player. He represented the state of California in the International Home Run Derby at Tropicana Park in Florida and was also recruited by Cal State Fullerton, Fresno State, UCLA, Loyola Marymount, San Diego, and numerous other schools before deciding upon Arizona. He comes from a great sports family. His father played professionally in the Dodgers and White Sox organizations and his mother played Olympic volleyball and earned All-America honors at Long Beach State. One sister played volleyball at the University of Michigan, while his twin sister, Sam, played at Santa Clara. Selsky attended the University of Arizona College of Medicine as a pre-physiology major. Like Smith, he is a very interesting prospect to watch. Selsky is 22 and bats right handed.

Torn between James Allen and Bryson Smith, with Steve Selsky in the photo. Smith strikes me as a Denis Phipps comp, insofar as he seemed to take off at one point of last year and hasn't looked back . . . Think I'll go with him.

15 of the last 17 picks have been pitchers. Wow. There's plenty of upside sprinkles in there, too, so that's exciting. Some outfield depth sure would be nice (only 5 outfielders selected so far), and I hope the Reds are able to make that a focus this upcoming draft.

Voted other for Blaine Howell.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jonathan Perez. Good upside and at this point, I am willing to go with it even though he has proven absolutely nothing and is at best 6 years from the Majors.

I'll likely switch my vote to James Allen next round. Upon looking at his profile a bit more, it seems that he's a very safe bet to be a middle reliever of the future in the majors. His performance and control so far have been next to flawless. McMyne has more upside, but has a much, much longer road to get there.

So, we picked up JJ Hoover from the Braves. I'd not modify the prospect list this late, but where do you think he goes? I'd put him between H-Rod and Cingrani.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    So, we picked up JJ Hoover from the Braves. I'd not modify the prospect list this late, but where do you think he goes? I'd put him between H-Rod and Cingrani.
    I would probably sneak him inside the Top 20, but not before those guys. He is a likely reliever from nearly all reports. On the RZ list, I would probably place him behind Sulbaran.

Turn Off Ads?