Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 50 Years ago today (8/29) ... Beatles End Touring

50 Years ago today (8/29) ... Beatles End Touring

OK - the date on the thread title is wrong... wasn't wearing my glasses (LOL) ... but it won't let me edit it for some reason. Their final concert - unless one wants to count the rooftop gig in Let It Be - was on the 29th of August in Candlestick Park.

Either way - it makes me feel really old! LOL

Ron Howard is doing a documentary "The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years" , which is due to be in theaters in mid September .... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Be...ht_Days_a_Week

Looking forward to it.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-26-2016 at 04:55 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-26-2016),mth123 (08-27-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 50 Years ago today (8/26) ... Beatles End Touring

Yep it was August 29th which is my birthday and also Michael Jacksons. Pretty weird.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

5. Likes:

Sea Ray (08-26-2016)

Re: 50 Years ago today (8/29) ... Beatles End Touring

I fixed the date for you GAC.

I didn't realize until recently that the Beatles quit touring when they did. I guess I just thought they toured until they broke up which I think was 1970.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I fixed the date for you GAC.
    Thanks buddy. One use to be able to edit the message, as well as the title; but I guess that option has somehow been removed?

I didn't realize until recently that the Beatles quit touring when they did. I guess I just thought they toured until they broke up which I think was 1970.
    There were numerous "variables" that contributed and led to the group's decision.....

1) the frenzy of Beatlemania was really wearing on them. On tour they were basically trapped in their hotel rooms, couldn't leave, due to the madness. Harrison quipped once that the Beatles sacrificed their nervous systems (LOL).
    2) Their music was evolving, becoming more complex when it came to what they were doing in the studio. Especially with the release of the Revolver album. The technology didn't exist where they could replicate that live, so they were basically relegated to always playing old material in concert.
    3) They literally could not hear themselves play during their live performances due to the thousands of screaming fans, so those performances were often very poor which irritated them because the group was a very polished live band before they became famous. That was their forte so to speak.
    4) They were always worried about security at their concerts. Here they were running out to the stage set up in the center of a baseball field, totally surrounded, with no place to go, by screaming, hysterical fans, and seeing that thin line of police in front delegated to maintain order and protect them (LOL).

All of this came to a head though in 1966, which was a very tumultuous year with Lennon's Christianity remark causing a huger uproar in the South (Bible belt) - record burning, death threats. They were physically attacked at the airport in Manila after a perceived snub of Marco's wife by the populace.

They finally said enough is enough.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-27-2016 at 04:11 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-29-2016)

I think the touring stopped for the same reason they eventually broke up. They were growing up, sick of it all (much noted in GAC's post above) and wanted to do something else. They came together as teenage children and probably were ready for a different lifestyle. I know I wasn't doing the same thing when I was 25 that I was when I was 14. They had a lot fantastic music in that short time and basically split before any of them was 30, but were you still doing the same things with the same people as a 30 year old as you were at 16 (14 in George Harrison's case)? I know I sure wasn't. Looking back on it now, I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.
    Last edited by mth123; 08-27-2016 at 08:28 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Speaking of 1966, and the album Revolver, I thought this was a really insightful article on the Beatles and their experience with LSD, and how it shaped Revolver, and also changed them as far as individual personalities ... http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...rpiece-w436062

The "cracks" were starting to show itself in 1966, after they stopped touring, and each went on to work on solo projects ... Lennon in How I Won The War, McCartney wrote the sound track for The Family Way. I remember rumors circulating then that they were breaking up.

Years ago I read an article where Jeff Lynne (pre-ELO) talked of his first experience with the Beatles at Abbey Roads studio in 1968 during the making of the White album. He noticed that each of the Beatles would come in and be working on, recording songs, individually. He quipped that if they hadn't already broken up they were on the verge.

11. Likes:

cumberlandreds (08-29-2016)

From what I've read over the years, one of the big reasons they stopped touring was that it was impossible for the technology of the day to reproduce the sound they could produce in the studio for a live show.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Re: 50 Years ago today (8/26) ... Beatles End Touring

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Yep it was August 29th which is my birthday and also Michael Jacksons. Pretty weird.
    ...and my Brother's.

I had a girlfriend for many years who grew up in Los Gatos, not very far South of Candlestick or the airport. She swears that she saw their plane as it was coming in for that appearance. She and her friend snuck away and took the bus to Candlestick, but they couldn't get in. She was 12 at the time.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Howard's Eight Days A Week ..... http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...ward/89990308/

I can't find how many theaters the movie will premiere/play at (I hope it comes around here locally) ..... but it will be exclusively on Hulu Sept 17th only...... http://www.hulu.com/start/?show=the-...FZJgAQodOiAIJQ

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Thanks buddy. One use to be able to edit the message, as well as the title; but I guess that option has somehow been removed?

There were numerous "variables" that contributed and led to the group's decision.....

1) the frenzy of Beatlemania was really wearing on them. On tour they were basically trapped in their hotel rooms, couldn't leave, due to the madness. Harrison quipped once that the Beatles sacrificed their nervous systems (LOL).
    2) Their music was evolving, becoming more complex when it came to what they were doing in the studio. Especially with the release of the Revolver album. The technology didn't exist where they could replicate that live, so they were basically relegated to always playing old material in concert.
    3) They literally could not hear themselves play during their live performances due to the thousands of screaming fans, so those performances were often very poor which irritated them because the group was a very polished live band before they became famous. That was their forte so to speak.
    4) They were always worried about security at their concerts. Here they were running out to the stage set up in the center of a baseball field, totally surrounded, with no place to go, by screaming, hysterical fans, and seeing that thin line of police in front delegated to maintain order and protect them (LOL).

All of this came to a head though in 1966, which was a very tumultuous year with Lennon's Christianity remark causing a huger uproar in the South (Bible belt) - record burning, death threats. They were physically attacked at the airport in Manila after a perceived snub of Marco's wife by the populace.

They finally said enough is enough.
    The remarks by Lennon were the last straw. I'm sure they would've still tried to tour otherwise.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

By the way, the new Beatles documentary 8 Days a Week sounds really good with some great clips of their performances from small clubs to the stadium tours. I really liked the clips that the TWC movie guy NYC based played on TWC news.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    By the way, the new Beatles documentary 8 Days a Week sounds really good with some great clips of their performances from small clubs to the stadium tours. I really liked the clips that the TWC movie guy NYC based played on TWC news.
    Watched it on Friday night. It was really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    The remarks by Lennon were the last straw. I'm sure they would've still tried to tour otherwise.
    You don't hear as much about that as you used to. For whatever reason, this didn't bother my religious family. I grew up listening to the Beatles and never stopped.
    “Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it.”
    ― Lloyd Alexander

Watch This Space.

I watched it on Hulu the other night and really enjoyed it. I'll be giving it another watch at some point.

On a different note..... I watched a documentary on Netflix last night, a two-part (2 Hrs) "History Of The Eagles". It was released in 2013. Man was it ever good! Well worth the watch if you're a fan. Glenn Frey is sorely missed.

20. Likes:

Chip R (09-28-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I watched it on Hulu the other night and really enjoyed it. I'll be giving it another watch at some point.

On a different note..... I watched a documentary on Netflix last night, a two-part (2 Hrs) "History Of The Eagles". It was released in 2013. Man was it ever good! Well worth the watch if you're a fan. Glenn Frey is sorely missed.
    Joe Walsh was on Conan last night.
    The losing stops later.

Turn Off Ads?