Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Another AOR hit off of Nuclear Furniture:

Layin' it on the Line

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NLVv5jkP6fU

You can feel the cheese start to creep in....

2. Likes:

Dave Collins (12-03-2013),Revering4Blue (11-30-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Hadn't heard that KBC song in forever- thanks for posting that.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Terric post. I saw KBC at Timberwolf- good show, I was probably a little young to get the most out of it. speaking of Balin, always loved this song:

Marty Balin- Hearts

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dIF74lH4KPM
    That's another track I haven't heard in ages that I remember well. "Hearts" peaked at #8 Pop and, believe it or not, #20 Rock in '81, which, again, shows how diverse mainstream rock radio used to be. I'm still surprised that Balin's solo career wasn't more commercially successful than it was.

Another fun fact: Balin was born in Cincinnati as Martyn Jerel Buchwald.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    That's another track I haven't heard in ages that I remember well. "Hearts" peaked at #8 Pop and, believe it or not, #20 Rock in '81, which, again, shows how diverse mainstream rock radio used to be. I'm still surprised that Balin's solo career wasn't more commercially successful than it was.

Another fun fact: Balin was born in Cincinnati as Martyn Jerel Buchwald.
    I did not know that he was born in Cincy. You couldn't turn on a radio and not hear that song that Summer. Up and down the dial, crossover....
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 11-30-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Love his vocal on this Jefferson Starship track:

Miracles

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xKBttQmhDBw

I hear that one from time to time on some stations.

9. Likes:

Dave Collins (12-07-2013),Revering4Blue (11-30-2013)

I did not know that he was born in Cincy. You couldn't turn on a radio and not hear that song that Summer. Up and down the dial, crossover....
    Didn't Paul Kantner also have a hit solo single?

Never posted this link on here but some of you may enjoy streaming my local independent radio station, point fm

Here is their list of the songs they have played the last 12 hours or so. http://pointfm.com/recent.php

On the weekends they will frequently play three songs from the same album which is why you see that showing up on the list. They are in the middle of 3 from Purple Rain at the moment.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    I don't think so but he was a tad bit ahead of me .

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    Good question.

Technically, the answer is no, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

According to Billboard Album Charts, he did have some major commercial success with early 70's solo albums/albums with Grace Slick, so it stands to reason that Kantner may well have scored at least one AOR hit back when the format was basically in it's infancy with a track(s) never released as single.

For example, Kantner's 1970 solo album Blows Against The Empire climbed as high as #20 on the Billboard Album Chart, which encompassed all genres of popular music in those days, so it's doubtful that said album could have sold that many copies without the benefit of FM rock airplay, but like Dom, that was before my music listening time, so it is just an assumption on my part.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

16. Likes:

Dave Collins (12-04-2013),Revering4Blue (12-04-2013)

Beginning with post # 190, we both began to cover John Waite. As I stated then, I feel that Waite is one of the best rock vocalists ever -- solo, the Babys or Bad English. All together now --Cookie-cutter Classic Rock rarely plays any of the above anymore.

18. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-04-2013)

Dude my memory is going. I have a few others I'll need to bring out to make up for the alzheimer's moment.

Dude my memory is going. I have a few others I'll need to bring out to make up for the alzheimer's moment.
    It's all good.

It wasn't exactly an alzheimer's moment; "Change" was the only track previously posted. Still boggles the mind that Babys' tracks somehow rarely make the 250 or so Classic Rock radio playlists.

"Restless Heart" is another lost AOR classic. I've got more forgotten John Waite/Babys/Bad English tracks to incorporate into future entries, which I'll try my best (too busy) to resume as a Bi-weekly thing.

Once again, it is time, fellow Redzoners, to revisit AOR radio playlists of yesteryear.

Bruce Springsteen - Trapped (1985)
    Album: We Are The World (USA For Africa)

Finally, an entry from "The Boss". This live track was garnering heavy AOR airplay right around the same time as most of AOR/Pop hits from "Born In The U.S.A were at their peak, which may explain why many have forgotten about it. IMO, this is a better track than most, if not all, of "Born In The U.S.A".

Then again, I enjoyed "Nebraska" and "Tunnel Of Love" -- the albums --more than "Born In The U.S.A".

Journey - Girl Can't Help It (1986)
    Album: Raised On Radio

This track, the long-forgotten third single from "Raised On Radio", is significant to me for at least two reasons:

* It is, IMO, the highlight of what I feel is, compared with "Escape" and "Frontiers", a highly disappointing album.

* It represents the last really good Journey track, IMO, and remains one of my favorites by Perry, Schon, Cane and company, and remains one Journey track/hit that radio didn't kill.

And lastly, a tribute to an under-appreciated artist who passed away six years ago yesterday.

Dan Fogelberg - As The Raven Flies (1974)
    Album: Souvenirs

Dan Fogelberg - Ghosts (1982)
    Album: The Innocent Age

Much like Firefall, Dan Fogelberg has been unfairly characterized as a Lite FM artist, due to several light hits. However, most anyone born before 1970 will tell you that virtually all Fogelberg albums from 1972 until 1987 produced at least one track that went on to receive at least moderate-to-heavy Nationwide AOR Radio airplay, including pop hits, such as "Heart Hotels" and "Hard To Say" -- with the latter reaching # 14 on Billboard's Rock Tracks chart. The aforementioned tracks, IMO, are fine examples of his AOR radio work.

The former features Joe Walsh on guitar. As an aside, Joe Walsh himself will tell you that Dan was also no slouch as a Rock guitarist. In fact, before Walsh joined the Eagles, Don Henley approached Dan Fogelberg in an effort to recruit Dan as member of the Eagles; Dan wasn't interested, but remained friends with the band.

The latter, often lost in the shuffle of Pop hits, "Leader Of The Band" and "Run For The Roses", probably gets my vote as the finest Fogelberg track ever. I distinctly remember my local AOR station playing it. IMO, the album "The Innocent Age" is one of the best 1980's albums out there. To his credit, our very own Dave Collins streams many Fogelberg tracks on his excellent DCRock radio website: http://www.dcrockradio.com/playing.html

It's good to know that others appreciate the brilliance of Fogelberg's work. RIP, Dan.

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 12-17-2013 at 02:20 PM.

22. Likes:

Dave Collins (12-23-2013),Dom Heffner (12-17-2013)

One of your better ones , Revering. I'm a Journey fan, I also loved "Only the Young" released between Frontiers and Raised on Radio on the VisionQuest soundtrack.

24. Likes:

Dave Collins (12-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?