Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

How/why do I always forget Paul Carrack? That guy is awesome.

Also, I think it would be great if some people put up one of their favorite, not necessarily the most popular, songs of their "best rock vocalist". I really just like listening to all these artists and would like the opportunity to hear something that isn't on the radio all the time (or in my iPod, maybe). For instance, I like Lou Gramm alright, but would be curious what song KD really thinks is awesome or what song gilpdawg thinks showcases Glenn Hughes.

Just my $ 0.02
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    If Rod Stewart or Paul Carrack were to sing the phone book in lieu of an actual song, I'd still be all ears. IMHO, as Rock vocalists, they were that good.

For clarification, I previously stated that John Waite was/is one of the best Rock vocalists ever. It is impossible to determine the "best," due to different genres, even within the scope of "Rock" music. Nobody has suggested any duds here.

As for Phil Collins, when he was on--Genesis and AOR solo material--he was awesome. For some reason, though, he tried to re-invent himself as the next Celine Dione later in his career, which, IMHO, the quality of his music sank faster than a brick in the Atlantic Ocean. Thus, the backlash.
    John Waite is a great choice. I'm actually a fan of the his stuff with The Babys, that music has aged pretty well. As for his solo stuff, Change, Restless Heart, and of course Missing You were faves.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

We are going to span five decades of lost Rock tracks this week.

Ready? Here we go.

Donovan - Season Of The Witch (1966)

This lost track, which predates my existance on this Earth, from the artist who presented us with the classics "Mellow Yellow" and "Sunshine Superman" gains little, if any, airplay on AOR or Classic Rock Stations today, which is a mystery to me.

Season of the witch - Donavan - YouTube

Pink Floyd - Sheep (1977)

Simply put, a lost AOR hit from an iconic band. The album Animals is also seriously underrated, IMHO.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I find The Wall album as a whole kind of depressing music wise, not to mention seriously overplayed on AOR radio. I actually find the most bizarre Pink Floyd material from various Pink Floyd LPs/CDs to be among the most enjoyable -- AOR airplay or not.

"Sheep" by Pink Floyd - YouTube

Jon Anderson - Cage Of Freedom (1984)

This track is from the Metropolis (Movie) Soundrack, which was re-released in color with an all-new Rock score. This track, featuring Yes front man Jon Anderson, was a huge AOR hit with a harder-edged sound than normally associated with the band Yes.

The soundtrack itself is worth checking out, as it features rare tracks contributed by likes of Freddie Mercury, Pat Benatar, Billy Squier, Adam Ant and others.

03 - Jon Anderson - Cage of Freedom [Metropolis Soundtrack] - YouTube

The Four Horsemen - Nobody Said It Was Easy (1991)

As the title track from the CD of the same name, this was the first, and the biggest, of three AOR radio tracks from a band whose sound was/is best described as Lynard Skynard meets AC/DC.

Due to bad timing--the initial rise of grunge-- and untimely deaths by both lead singer Frank Starr and drummer Ken Montgomery, success for this Hollywood based band was fleeting. As for this track, IMHO, it kicks total arse.

The Four Horsemen - Nobody Said It Was Easy - YouTube

Filter - Where Do We Go From Here? (2002)

This was the last major AOR hit for this Cleveland based band. It has been ages since I have heard this track on Commercial AOR radio. Heck, I never even hear the band's most popular tracks--"Hey Man Nice Shot" and "Take A Picture"--on Commercial radio anymore. Band front man Richard Patrick later formed the band Army Of Anyone.

Filter - Where Do We Go From Here - YouTube

As always, Rock On, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 09-29-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Donovan - Season Of The Witch (1966)

This lost track, which predates my existance on this Earth, from the artist who presented us with the classics "Mellow Yellow" and "Sunshine Superman" gains little, if any, airplay on AOR or Classic Rock Stations today, which is a mystery to me.
    Last two times I heard this track was 1)60's radio on Rhapsody and 2)WDJO the AM Oldies station here in Cincinnati.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    How/why do I always forget Paul Carrack? That guy is awesome.

Also, I think it would be great if some people put up one of their favorite, not necessarily the most popular, songs of their "best rock vocalist". I really just like listening to all these artists and would like the opportunity to hear something that isn't on the radio all the time (or in my iPod, maybe). For instance, I like Lou Gramm alright, but would be curious what song KD really thinks is awesome or what song gilpdawg thinks showcases Glenn Hughes.

Just my $ 0.02
    Gramm... pretty much anything before the 80's - always loved "Hot Blooded" lyrics, I would imaged singing that to a few of my singer crushes!
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Stat geek...and proud
    I love the Four Horsemen. They put out a record called Back in Business Again that bombed, nobody heard it, and it's fantastic. I like that one better than the debut.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I love the Four Horsemen. They put out a record called Back in Business Again that bombed, nobody heard it, and it's fantastic. I like that one better than the debut.

Actually that album was called Gettin Pretty Good at Barely Gettin By. Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Last two times I heard this track was 1)60's radio on Rhapsody and 2)WDJO the AM Oldies station here in Cincinnati.
    Heard it again Sunday on WDJO... just heard "Victoria" by The Kinks...

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I hate to see this forum sit idle, so I thought I would add a few songs from artists previously mentioned.

I wasn't planning on doing mostly covers (or songs that were later covered), but I did. Oh well, I hope there is something for everyone. These are not meant to be the best of each artist, just a sampling of great rock singers singing great rock songs.

Enjoy.

Black Sabbath-Turn to Stone

Not truly Black Sabbath. This was supposed to be a Tony Iommi solo project but the record company insisted on using the Black Sabbath name. Glen Hughes on vox.

Black Sabbath - Turn To Stone - YouTube

Foreigner-Blue Morning Blue Day

Lou Gramm

Blue Morning, Blue Day - Foreigner [HQ] - YouTube

Paul Carrack-Don't Shed a Tear

Paul Carrack "Don't Shed A Tear" - YouTube

The Faces- (I Know) I'm Losing You

Rod Stewart...'nuff said

The Faces - (I Know) I'm Losing You live at the BBC - YouTube

Sam Cooke-Another Saturday Night

Not only was Sam Cooke a great singer, but a songwriter as well. Both Cat Stevens and Jimmy Buffet have done pretty good versions of this song. Of course, neither one is Sam Cooke.

Sam Cooke- Another Saturday Night - YouTube

Elvis Presley-Don't Be Cruel

If it's good enough for Cheap Trick, it's good enough for me.

Elvis Presley - Don't Be Cruel - YouTube
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I hate to see this forum sit idle, so I thought I would add a few songs from artists previously mentioned.
    It's not going to sit idle much longer, but with the MLB Playoffs going on and all..

Anyway, you certainly picked some great tracks.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-16-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

We're going back to the Two-Fer Tuesday theme for our Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week. That, of course, means two songs in a row with something in common.

Sit back, grab your favorite beverage and let's ROCK!

Missing Persons - Destination Unknown (1982)
    Rod Stewart - Tora, Tora, Tora (Out With The Boys) (1982)

As many of you know, New-wave was a staple on AOR Radio and MTV in the early '80's, and this track is, IMHO, as fine an example of that genre as any. Featuring lead singer Dale Bozzio--who no doubt inspired Lady Gaga's look-- and a few former members of Frank Zappa's backing band, the band Missing Persons had a handful of AOR hits in the '80's, including, obviously, the track above, "Words" and "Walking In L.A."

If you want to liven up an Adult--and I do mean Adult--party, then simply play this lost AOR hit from Rod Stewart's Tonight I'm Yours LP. Trust me, it works every time. While this track wasn't/isn't Top 40 radio friendly--I wouldn't play it in front of kids--AOR stations ate it up back in the day.

Missing Persons - Destination Unknown [HQ] - YouTube

Rod Stewart-Tora Tora Tora - YouTube

Jeff Lynne - Every Little Thing (1990)
    Stabilizers - One Simple Thing (1986)

Not only do the aforementioned tracks contain the word "thing" in the title, they were also the only AOR hits (ELO frontman Jeff Lynne as a solo artist) by the aformentioned artists.

IMHO, the Jeff Lynne track is fantastic, so is the Armchair Theatre CD. Simply put, it rivals his best E.L.O work. Lynne also deserves a ton of credit for personally resurrecting the careers of Dave Edmunds, George Harrison, Tom Petty and Roy Orbison.

Not that the Stabilizers' track is chopped liver. I liked it a lot when it was new and a big AOR hit, and it's an IPOD favorite of mine. Alas, I haven't heard it on AOR Radio in 24 years.

Jeff Lynne - Every Little Thing - YouTube

Stabilizers - One Simple Thing (1986) - YouTube

Billy Joel - No Man's Land (1993)
    Cry Of Love - Peace Pipe (1993)

From the River Of Dreams CD, this track featuring the great Leslie West (Mountain) on guitar was the last of many AOR hits for Billy Joel, and is simply Billy at his rockin' best. "Piano Man" this ain't.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm partial to the Raleigh-based band Cry Of Love--I was living there at the time--but they were really good. This track, which topped the Billboard Top Rock Tracks chart for four weeks in the Fall of '93, was one of four AOR hits for the band. Only two of the band's CDs made an impact on the AOR world, though. Anyway, IMHO, this track deserves some high volume.

Billy Joel-No Man's Land-Lyrics - YouTube

Cry Of Love - Peace Pipe - YouTube

As as always, Rock On, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-16-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Heard a song a couple of days ago that had been totally erased from my mind. I remember that I loved this song back in the day, but for some reason, I'd completely forgotten its existence.

1989, The Call "Let the Day Begin"

The Call - Let The Day Begin - YouTube
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I loved Armchair Theatre and have been disappointed that it's not available on Rhapsody. My favorite tracks were "Nobody Home" and "Blown Away".
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Heard a song a couple of days ago that had been totally erased from my mind. I remember that I loved this song back in the day, but for some reason, I'd completely forgotten its existence.

1989, The Call "Let the Day Begin"

The Call - Let The Day Begin - YouTube
    Great song that hit #1 on the Rock Tracks chart on 8/19/89. The Call were/are a seriously underrated band, even though the Critics loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I loved Armchair Theatre and have been disappointed that it's not available on Rhapsody. My favorite tracks were "Nobody Home" and "Blown Away".
    It's on Grooveshark.com. It is a totally free site that I utilize all of the time.

Turn Off Ads?