Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Personal take: Of course the Beastie Boys are RRHOF worthy, just not ahead of many others such as Rush, ELO and others. Yes, they influenced others. But, IMHO, that's not such a great thing.

In the case of Linkin Park, the Rap/Hip Hop is just a supplement, so many traditional Rock fans accepted them. Everlast, too, was successful because he toned it down and didn't operate at the normal "manic" Rap/Hip Hop pace. After that, Rap/Hip Hop began to infiltrate Metal, and even though Nu-Metal/Post Grunge "monotone" Metal was the rage for awhile--mostly because it attracted the Rap/Hip Hop crowd who had previously ignored Rock--it, IMHO, not "Grunge," is what led many AOR stations to become Classic Rock stations.

Traditional Melodic AOR and, to a certain extent, "Hair Metal" still co-existed with the likes of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and others--even Alternative Metal co-existed with traditional Rock. But once the manic Rap/Hip Hop/monotone Metal became the norm, it was curtains for many AOR stations, who either went the "Classic Rock" or "Active Rock" route.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Another "Something So Strong" song. This one from a very underrated band. Started out as Split Enz and then morphed into
    Crowded House.
    "I Got You" by the Split Enz is another lost AOR classic.

As far as Crowded House is concerned, my faves were both AOR hits from their followup CD Temple Of Low Men:

"Better Be Home Soon" and "Never Be The Same," the latter, my favorite of the two.

While I've always liked "Something So Strong," I've never cared for their signature tune "Don't Dream It's Over" for some reason. Of course, Crowded House would be relegated to Top 40 and AAA radio today.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Two Split Enz songs that I really like are, "History Never Repeats" and "Hard Act To Follow". And the Crowded House CD "Woodface" is excellent IMO.

Two Split Enz songs that I really like are, "History Never Repeats" and "Hard Act To Follow".
    Man, I haven't heard those great songs in years, though our local AOR station played them back in the day. Why that band didn't receive the airplay here in the States that they did elsewhere, I don't understand. Then again, it is wise to listen to the entire LP/CD because many great songs never receive airplay at all in any format.

And the Crowded House CD "Woodface" is excellent IMO.
    Admittedly, I'm unfamiliar with the entire CD, but I do remember the AOR/AAA hit "Chocolate Cake." I'll check it out.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I lived in Australia during Split Enz heyday and still listen to them a lot. I actually prefer them to CH because of the weirdness quotient and the Tim Finn songs. "Dirty Creature", a song about Tim's battles with mental illness and depression, is one of my all time favorites.

"I need a dragonslayer who can save me from myself."

Split Enz - Dirty Creature - YouTube@
    Last edited by marcshoe; 08-26-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I lived in Australia during Split End heyday and still listen to them a lot. I actually prefer them to CH because of the weirdness quotient and the Tim Finn songs. "Dirty Creature", a song about Tim's battles with mental illness and depression, is one of my all time favorites.

"I need a dragonslayer who can save me from myself."

Split Enz - Dirty Creature - YouTube@
    How about "Six Months in a Leaky Boat"?
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

There's a version out there by Tim Finn with The Wiggles that makes "6 months" about Captain Feathersword. Really. Also, the late Paul Hester, drummer for both The Enz and CH, played the chef on The Wiggles.

And the BBC banned "Six Months" as being detrimental to the war effort in The Faulklands, which was nonsense.

Btw, I also love "I see Red" which has one of the best endings ever.

Split Enz - I See Red - YouTube
    Last edited by marcshoe; 08-26-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

While we're on the subject of New Wave/Power Pop AOR, does anyone remember this one?

Squeeze-Pulling Muscles (from the shell) (1980)

Pulling Muscles (from the shell) - Squeeze - YouTube

While we're on the subject of New Wave/Power Pop AOR, does anyone remember this one?

Preferred Black Coffee in Bed actually...
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

The Buzzcocks were a great power pop/punk band. 20/20 is long forgotten too but they were very good at it.

One of my all-time favorites. Their Greatest Hits album is near perfection.

As much as I like Paul Carrack--IMHO, he was/is one of the top Rock vocalists of all time--for some reason, I like the Squeeze material better without him; the ones mentioned here, "Hourglass" and others.

BTW, it's good to see some support for New Wave/Power Pop. As I previously stated, it was a fixture on AOR radio back in the day.

Did someone say Paul Carrack?

Ace - How Long - 45 RPM - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Did someone say Paul Carrack?

Ace - How Long - 45 RPM - YouTube
    Without question, one of the best song's of the 70's! Love the presentation of the video--nothing like the ole' 45's and LPs.

Yes, Paul Carrack.

Speaking of which, Roxy Music toured a little last year. I'd love to see them.

Turn Off Ads?