Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

[QUOTE=Captain13;2636354]
    Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post

It isn't the same, but that doesn't make it bad. Rainbow wasn't Purple, but it was good music. The Dio Years weren't what I call Black Sabbath, but I liked 'em. I guess my point is, regardless of band names, good music is good music (and bad music should be punishable by death).
    Oh i agree But i guess im just a blackmore homer more than anything. Rainbow Rising was basically the 1st hard rock record i fell in love with and Blackmores sound .That instantly turned me into a fan and had me wanting to buy a white fender stratacastor and learn to play . I like Steve morse with the dregs and some of his solo stuff .

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud
    [QUOTE=cinredsfan2000;2636640]
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post

Oh i agree But i guess im just a blackmore homer more than anything. Rainbow Rising was basically the 1st hard rock record i fell in love with and Blackmores sound .That instantly turned me into a fan and had me wanting to buy a white fender stratacastor and learn to play . I like Steve morse with the dregs and some of his solo stuff .
    Stargazer is, like, the best song ever.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I'm going to post one...because I love this song so much it deserves to be heard. If classic rock bands still got radio play with new material in 1996 this song could have been a hit. I believe that. It's probably my favorite song ever by this band. And if you like this song...check out the album Purpendicular. Steve Morse on guitar, not Blackmore. Doesn't matter. Fantastic record.

Deep Purple-Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming

Sometimes I feel like screaming Deep Purple - YouTube
    Props for posting this.

I'm almost positive that I've heard this on Rock Radio before, most likely in a Deep Purple Rock Block or as the tail-end of a Deep Purple two-fer, but I'm positive that I've heard it before. I sampled all of the songs from Purpendicular on Allmusicguide.com, and this sounds like an awesome album.

If this album had been released within the past five years to little fanfare/airplay, I wouldn't have been surprised due to the style of Active Rock/Metal which constitutes most current Rock airplay on commercial Rock Radio today.

But in 1996, Classic Rock bands were still receiving airplay with new material. This definitely should have received more than it did.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

As we begin another edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week, I'd like to thank all who have contributed links to songs and Radio stations and for contributing to a lively discussion about the state of AOR radio. I highly doubt that we will run out of material, but there is a good chance that Class X radio, with it's extensive playlist, will render this thread obsolete. But until such time,

Genesis - Driving The Last Spike (1992)

While Genesis received some justifiable flack from long fans for kissing the tush of commercial pop radio with the Invisible Touch and, to a lesser extent, We Can't Dance albums, there are some really good Rock Radio only/no Pop Radio airplay songs on both albums.

Cases in point:

Anything She Does and Domino-Parts I and II from Invisible Touch and this gem from We Can't Dance. This proved to be the swan song for Genesis with Phil Collins as a member, and they went out with a bang.

Genesis - Driving the last spike (1991) - YouTube

ELO - Four Little Diamonds (1983)

This long-forgotten track, which was the follow-up to Pop/Rock hit Rock And Roll Is King from the Secret Messages album, received considerably more AOR airplay than Top 40 pop airplay. So it shouldn't come a shock to anyone that I feel that this track is far superior to the more well-known hit Rock And Roll Is King.

This is as hook-laden as any ELO track, and, thus, deserves to be re-discovered, for lack of a better phrase.

One more question:

Why isn't ELO the band in the Rock And Roll hall of fame already?

ELO Four Little Diamonds - YouTube
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 06-23-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Wrong Link
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

On this day in 1979, Neil Young released his Rust Never Sleeps LP, so it's only appropriate for me to open this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week with a track from the aforementioned Album.

Neil Young--Powderfinger (1979)

This was one of three tracks from this LP to receive significant AOR airplay--"My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue) and "Pocahontas" the others--and I can safely say this my favorite Neil Young track, period, regardless of LP.

Interesting fact: Young recorded a solo acoustic version of "Powderfinger" in September 1975 (never officially released), and later sent the tape to his friend Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd who were to use the song on their next album. However, Van Zant died in a plane crash in October 1977, and Lynyrd Skynyrd never recorded the song.

Simply put, this an awesome lost track.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Powderfinger - YouTube

Glass Tiger--I'm Still Searching (1988)

Yeah, I have a pretty good idea of what some of you are thinking.

Glass Tiger? Weren't they a one-hit-wonder? I'm certain that they never were played on AOR Radio.

Well, you would be wrong on both counts.

Aside from Don't Forget When I'm Gone, they hit the Pop Top 40 with Someday, I Will Be There, and this track, with the light Pop song Someday, which didn't fit Rock radio at all, being the only one of the four to not reach the Top 25 on Billboards Rock Tracks chart.

This track--I'm Still Searching--actually climbed as high as #12 on the top Rock Tracks chart in the Spring of '88, and I liked it the first time I heard it, following a collective "meh" from me regarding the first three radio hits from the group. But it seems, at least to me, as though I'm the only one who remembers it.

Prove me wrong, Redzone.

Have a Happy 4th, fellow Redzoners!

glass tiger - I'm Still Searching - Diamond Sun- YouTube
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 07-02-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    On this day in 1979, Neil Young released his Rust Never Sleeps LP, so it's only appropriate for me to open this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week with a track from the aforementioned Album.

Neil Young--Powderfinger (1979)

Simply put, this an awesome lost track.
    I agree one of my top 3 Neil songs i also liked the version on Weld live disc.

The Eagles--King Of Hollywood (1980)

From the Fall of '79 throughout the Summer of '80, virtually every track from the Eagles LP The Long Run received significant AOR airplay. This Lost Rock Track Of The Week--a very graphical look at the exploitation of young women in the Movie industry--was no exception.

Unfortunately, it took a back seat to the many smash pop/rock hits on the LP, largely because it had no pop/top 40 crossover appeal at all.

IMHO, this is the finest Eagles track ever, which is saying something.

King of Hollywood-The Eagles - YouTube

Off Broadway--Stay In Time (1980)

Speaking of pop/top 40 appeal, this catchy track had it, but failed to reach the pop top 40. AOR radio listeners ate it up, however.

This instantly recognizable track--I know, I say that every week--was/is often mistaken for a Cheap Trick song. IMHO, this band/track deserved a similar fate as Robin Zander and the boys. Nevertheless, this Oak Park, Illinois band is actually working on an updated version of the song for a 2112 release.

Off Broadway usa - Stay In Time - YouTube

Stat geek...and proud
    What a coincidence that I just heard that Eagles song for the first time in a long time the other day. It's great. I'm actually not a huge Eagles fan, but The Long Run is probably my favorite album of theirs. I love "In The City." (which most people don't know was a Walsh solo track from the movie Warriors re-recorded)

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider View Post
    My long time friend has worked for numerous radio stations that have all been bought out by Clearchannel. CC eliminated all of the human help they could and computerized everything. My friend's job is eliminated at the end of the week. They're going to the cheapest way they can reach a mass market in the shortest time.
    You can't point the finger of blame at Clear Channel without also paying attention to a larger trend in the radio industry of measuring audiences with Portable People Meters, instead of depending on the listeners in the sample to note their listening in diaries. By measuring listening down to the second, people meters are proving that people tune in to listen to music, not personalities. That's the #1 reason why announcerless stations are gaining popularity... they measure better in this ratings environment. The stations with the highest ratings (in the target demographics) make more money from selling ads and that's the #1 goal at every commercial station.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-08-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    /r/reds

Joe Walsh--The Confessor (1985)

Okay, I'll admit that this track remains somewhat popular with AOR fans and may not fully qualify as a Lost Track.

But, lets be honest--other than tracks from his latest Analog Man, Walsh's 80's and 90's material, All Night Long the exception, remains largely ignored on even Classic Rock radio today. The James Gang material, Rocky Mountain Way and Life's Been Good are overplayed, at least that is how I see it. The Confessor still remains the definitive Walsh track to me.

Joe Walsh - The Confessor - YouTube

Dave Edmunds--Slipping Away (1983)

Yet another track which, even though it was catchy enough for Pop/Top 40 Radio, surprisingly barely scraped the Pop Top 40 and once upon a time was in very heavy rotation on AOR Radio and on MTV. Then again, when the top pop song of the time period was none other than Puttin' On the Ritz by Taco, how can one compete with that?

Anyway, this track sounds as if it could have been an ELO track. That is because Jeff Lynne produced this album titled Information and the next Dave Edmunds album titled Riff Raff. Needless to say, both albums Rock. In conclusion, I'll just state that I'm fairly certain that this track would not have been nearly as good as an ELO song without Dave Edmunds on guitar and providing vocals. Then again, I've always believed that Dave Edmunds was/is severely underrated as an artist, so I may be a little bit biased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aEr5HWdRhRY

Adieu from R4Blue.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

The Confessor is an awesome song, too bad the rest of the album was not up to par. So far as AOR goes, I like the entire Ordinary Average Guy album (with the title track being one of my least favorite songs on the album).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I have Slipping Away on rotation right now. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that this was the first music Lynne produced for another artist.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Stat geek...and proud
    RIP Jon Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    RIP Jon Lord.

Rock musicians including Yes’ Rick Wakeman, Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello and members of Deep Purple-influenced bands such as Anthrax and Iron Maiden all lamented Lord’s passing, with Morello tweeting: "RIP the great Jon Lord, Deep Purple's cornerstone/keyboardist. So many great great songs and that incredible SOUND of his! Thankyou."
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,931703.story

I certainly didn't plan to feature two Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week from the same year, let alone the same season of the year. Nevertheless, two tracks from the Summer of '82 are featured this week--both by, IMHO, two criminally underrated bands.

April Wine--If You See Kay (1982)

From the Power Play album, this track and Enough Is Enough--another awesome track--were both in heavy AOR rotation during said Summer. I feel that the aforementioned tracks and All Over Town from 1981's The Nature Of The Beast are/were their best AOR radio tracks.

This chorus of this track raised a lot of eyebrows because it sounds as if the band is slowly spelling a, ahem, certain word that never would have passed the censors. Coincidence? I love this track and band. Well worth a listen.

April Wine - If You See Kay - YouTube

Shooting Star--Breakout (1982)

This Kansas City-based band was an early 80's fixture on AOR radio with several tracks from a handful of LPs receiving significant airplay. I hate to appear lazy, but a Google/Wikipedia search will provide you with more AOR radio tracks than I can list here.

This track, from the album Hang On For Your Life was/is particularly memorable to me. Not to mention, it kicks total, well, you know what.

Shooting Star - Breakout - YouTube

I hope that you enjoy these tracks.

Adieu from R4Blue.

Turn Off Ads?