Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Heard a song a couple of days ago that had been totally erased from my mind. I remember that I loved this song back in the day, but for some reason, I'd completely forgotten its existence.

1989, The Call "Let the Day Begin"
    When I think of The Call, it's this song...

The Call - The Walls Came Down - YouTube

Then I think of this band and song... don't know why, maybe because the lyrics deal with grim reality.
    BTW, I had a "mini" crush on the singer back in the day...

DAVID & DAVID welcome to the boomtown HQ Hi-Fi - YouTube
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

2. Turn Off Ads?

Always liked Matt Johnson, not just because he was the band "The The" (another double named band...hmmm... ) This is my favorite:

The The - Heartland - YouTube
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

My fave Call song, also a big AOR hit.

The Call - I Still Believe (Great Design) - YouTube

Also, David and David were criminally underrated, IMHO.

Sure, "Welcome To The Boomtown" and "Swallowed by the Cracks" are great songs and certainly qualify as lost AOR hits, but my favorite D&D track, also an AOR hit, is "Ain't So Easy."

Naturally, I cannot locate a video for "Ain't so Easy."
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Stat geek...and proud
    I've always liked that Cry of Love song. There's a plethora of bands in that 1991-1994ish period who just had one or two hits then fell off the face of the earth. Paw, Sweetwater, Sugartooth, Brother Cane and some more I can't remember right now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

This shows me I need to look into The Call and Cry of Love. I was pretty self-absorbed in the late 80's and early 90's; if it didn't fit in my little box, it was garbage. Man, was I wrong. There was a lot of great stuff. I have found a lot of it, but there is a lot more to go.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I'll resume my Lost Tracks entry as soon as the issue with posting Youtube links is resolved.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-26-2012 at 09:47 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'll resume my Lost Tracks entry as soon as the issue with posting Youtube links is resolved.
    Oh, this better get fixed! This is my favorite thread on the entire board!

No special theme for this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week, just a handful of lost AOR hits.

Jeff Healey Band - Cruel Little Number (1992)

An underrated, though successful, Blues-Rock AOR act if there ever was one. Sadly, we lost Jeff to cancer in '08. For those of you unfamiliar with his story, Jeff was blind by age one, but still taught himself to play a mean guitar and he was also a strong vocalist.

According to the Billboard Weekly Top Rock Tracks Chart, this track, not his major Pop/AOR hit "Angel Eyes", was his biggest AOR hit, peaking at number 2 in late '92. Not to slight "Angel Eyes" at all, but at least a handful of his AOR hits, as forgotten as this track is, outperformed "Angel Eyes" on AOR radio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0EEkgAjNM

Hughes/Thrall - The Look In Your Eye (1982)

Hughes/Thrall - Beg, Borrow Or Steal (1982)

The great vocalist/bassist Glenn Hughes teamed up with Pat Travers Band guitarist Pat Thrall, who later joined Asia, for a self-titled LP in late '82.

This Arena Rock record was a few years ahead of it's time, and showcases the versatility of Hughes as a vocalist.

The first track was the bigger AOR hit of the two. But the second track may be more recognizable due to the light-to-moderate Pop/Top 40 airplay it received back then. I'll refer to this as a double-and-done--a step above one hit wonder -- meaning the aforementioned tracks were the only ones by the Artist to receive significant airplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dkYLUDoB6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFob_tcisD8

Alan Parsons Project - You Don't Believe (1983)

One of my favorite AOR hits from a band which clearly helped to define what was then known as the Progressive Rock genre. This track first appeared on The Best Of The Alan Parsons Project, and later appeared on the follow-up CD Ammonia Avenue.

Featuring many different musicians and vocalists, this band was a mainstay on AOR radio for years, also enjoying moderate success on Pop radio. Lenny Zakatek handles to vocals on this underrated, IMHO, track with vigor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylcHHb93GRo

Joe Jackson - One More Time (1979)

This track from the Look Sharp LP, which many will recognize from a recent Taco Bell commercial, was once in heavy AOR rotation along with Joe's big hit "Is She Really Going Out With Him."

IMHO, this track has held up much better than most, if not all, of Joe's material. Nevertheless, this track --all together now--receives little, if any, commercial AOR/Classic Rock Radio airplay today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6xqtVoD-R8

As always, Rock On, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Here is my favorite Jeff Healey Band tune, with a little help from Mark Knopfler (who wrote the song) on guitar and vocals. My favorite Jeff Healey Band album is Cover to Cover. I don't know why but I can listen to that thing all day long.

Jeff Healey Band-I Think I Love You Too Much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVMbk7OvgpQ

Here is my favorite Jeff Healey Band tune, with a little help from Mark Knopfler (who wrote the song) on guitar and vocals. My favorite Jeff Healey Band album is Cover to Cover. I don't know why but I can listen to that thing all day long.

Jeff Healey Band-I Think I Love You Too Much
    "Confidence Man" is a good one, too. From the standpoint of AOR airplay today, either one of us could have picked any J.H track to feature. I like them all.

"I Think I Love You Too Much" peaked at #5 on the Billboard Rock Tracks chart in the Summer of '90, as the first of four AOR hits from the Hell To Pay CD.

I still cannot believe that the Cover To Cover CD, as awesome as it is, only produced one AOR hit: A really good cover of "Stuck In The Middle With You."

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I still cannot believe that the Cover To Cover CD, as awesome as it is, only produced one AOR hit: A really good cover of "Stuck In The Middle With You."
    I love the whole thing, but Angel and Jeff's version of Roadhouse Blues is awesome. It is very different from The Doors, but at the same time stays true.

Jeff was underappreciated throughout his entire lifetime, and will mostly be remembered as "the blind guy in Roadhouse".

Bonham - Wait For You (1989)

Founded by Drummer Jason Bonham, John Bonham's son, the band Bonham released their debut album The Disregard Of Timekeeping in late 1989. The album went Gold and produced this huge AOR hit. No, that is not Robert Plant on vocals. The late Daniel MacMaster, who sounded an awful lot like Plant, IMO, was the real star, performing the vocals for this band.

Tracy Bonham - Mother Mother (1996)

This song, a very polarizing track back in the day, first produced a "meh" response from me, but has grown on me over the years. You either loved it or hated it. If nothing else, this track may elicit some discussion either way.

For the record, Tracy is no relation to John or Jason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV_-y...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK0GgLKUU_I

Dire Straits - The Man's Too Strong - (1985)

IMHO, this track, which didn't receive as much AOR airplay as the AOR/Pop hits from the Brothers In Arms CD, is the standout of the CD, along with the title track. It's been years since I've heard it on commercial rock radio-a common trend here.

Dire Straits - Industrial Disease - (1982)

Perhaps my favorite Dire Straits track. From the Love Over Gold album, this was a big AOR hit in late '82. This album was the first to feature keyboardist Alan Clark, who really enhanced the band's sound, which was top-notch to begin with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVdB-UKfxD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rWuc5kar3Y

Survivor - Broken Promises (1985)

This track from the superb Vital Signs CD, was one of the rare Survivor AOR hits that wasn't released as a single--translation: Pop/Top 40 stations didn't play it. Thus, it is largely forgotten by the masses, but not by yours truly, as it remains my absolute favorite Survivor track.

Pat Benatar - Promises In The Dark (1981)

Another notable RRHOF snub.

This former AOR hit, from the Precious Time LP, featuring an awesome Neal Geraldo--Pat's husband--guitar solo, along with Pat delivering her usual vocal "home run" performance , is, for my money, is right up there with "Hell Is For Children" as the best Pat Benatar song. Do you agree?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Geh...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuPFhDQRKzw

As always, Rock on, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.

LOVE "The Man's Too Strong," along with "Why Worry?" from that album. "Walk of Life," "Money for Nothing" and "So Far Away" got most of the recognition, but it's the backup tracks that make Brothers in Arms so great. Nice one, R4B!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

You don't need to tell me about that Survivor song. Great stuff.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I don't know how to post from YouTube, if I could I would do "I See You In Everyone."

As with most tracks on that album you can hear Mickey Thomas from Starship in the background. Ron Nevison was a great priducer.

Turn Off Ads?