Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Why isn't ELO the band in the Rock And Roll hall of fame already?
    Excellent question. I simply assumed they already were in there. Kinda shocking considering the number of hits Jeff Lynne and crew put together.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yup. ELO had 19 top-40 hits over 15 years, and they're definitely considered one of the biggest RnR HoF snubs. The Cure is the biggest snub imho.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yup. ELO had 19 top-40 hits over 15 years, and they're definitely considered one of the biggest RnR HoF snubs. The Cure is the biggest snub imho.
    What about Rush and Kiss?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

ELO, The Cure, Rush, Kiss and Heart are the biggest snubs off of the top of my head. Bad Company, as well.

I'm not suggesting that they are undeserving, but, IMHO, there is no way that the Beastie Boys should have been inducted before any of the aforementioned bands.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    What about Rush and Kiss?
    Based on their merits, they both deserve it. Kiss is a great live show but write terrible songs. People love them anyway though.

Based on their merits, they both deserve it. Kiss is a great live show but write terrible songs. People love them anyway though.
    I concur regarding Kiss. Hard Luck Woman is the only Kiss song that I'll go out of my way to listen to. Of course, Rock Stations continue to act as if it never existed whilst playing Detroit Rock City and Lick It Up to the point of nausea.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Stat geek...and proud
    Yes indeed. Kiss is bloody horrible, but they've also had a big influence on stage shows and such. Now Rush is the best band ever, and any HOF that doesn't include them is an absolute joke.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Yes indeed. Kiss is bloody horrible, but they've also had a big influence on stage shows and such. Now Rush is the best band ever, and any HOF that doesn't include them is an absolute joke.

While we are discussing RRHOF snubs, here are more notable snubs.

Deep Purple, Yes, Dire Straits, Linda Rondstadt, the Guess Who, Thin Lizzy, Peter Frampton, Three Dog Night, Poco, The Moody Blues, KISS, John Denver, Journey, The Fifth Dimension, Iron Maiden, Johnny Rivers, Rush, Dan Fogelberg, Mott the Hoople, Lionel Richie, Joe Cocker, Heart, Dionne Warwick, Gram Parsons, Chic, The Cure, Moby Grape, Barry White, Procol Harum, The Association, Boston, Charlie Daniels, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Hollies, Megadeath, Cheap Trick, Little Feat, The Monkees, Grand Funk Railroad, The Doobie Brothers, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Jethro Tull, Cat Stevens, Billy Idol, Steppenwolf, Bon Jovi, Gram Parsons, America, Donna Summer, Steve Miller, Edgar Winter, Fairport Convention, Foreigner, Peter, Paul and Mary, Bad Company, Spirit, Herman’s Hermits, Humble Pie, J. Geils Band, New Order, The Spinners, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Baez, REO Speedwagon, Tower of Power, Arlo Guthrie, Joe Jackson, John Mayall, The Buckinghams, The Turtles, The Cars, Johnny Winter, Kraftwerk, Kool & the Gang, Kenny Loggins, Loggins & Messina, Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, Judas Priest, Paul Revere & the Raiders, Chaka Khan, Spencer Davis Group, The Stylistics, Styx, Tommy James & the Shondells, Warren Zevon, Ted Nugent, Hall & Oates
    Granted the RRHOF obviously includes artists that AOR stations never played, but this is an overall accurate list.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ame-sucks.html

The Beastie Boys and Laura Nyro are in, but Chicago and KISS are out?! No way, writes journalist/musician Jamie Reno.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 07-21-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added the article heading.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

KISS is one of those bamds whose sum is definitely less than their parts. Some great stuff, just not enough of it to say they belong to the hall.

They are one of my favorite bands but when you look at the material, it isn't that great.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If Hall and Oates don't get in, something is pretty wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    You'll get no argument from me, Dom.

As an aside, much like Poco, Kenny Loggins and the late Dan Fogelberg, Hall and Oates, IMHO, have been unfairly pigeonholed as Pop artists only. When, in reality, all of the aforementioned artists have had a much larger impact on AOR radio than most realize.

I've campaigned far and wide for ELO for years, and was a bit shocked when I realized Hall and Oates weren't in. I think The Rolling Stone has always had some animosity toward ELO because of their pioneering work in enhancing their concerts with recorded music, which was pretty controversial back in the day, and RS seems to have a pretty big say in the Hall.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    One of my jukebox favorites. The problem with Hall and Oates is they reached their chart zenith was some schmaltzy hits: Kiss on my List, You Make My Dreams, Private Eyes. But She's Gone, Say It Isn't So, Rich Girl, Maneater..... the good stuff outweighs the bad.

She's Gone, specifically, the LP version from Abandoned Luncheonette remains the definitive H&O track, IMHO.

Fun fact: She's Gone didn't become a smash pop hit until two years after it was initially released. Of course, AOR stations were playing it when it was first released.

What does H&O track mean? Doh! Nevermind. Hall & Oates. Don't ever grow old. =)
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-23-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Turn Off Ads?