Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

They call me "chef"

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

The most interesting "rock" is trending towards being smaller and exploring niche sound landscapes. Big, arena "male chicken" rock doesn't quite fit with our current cultural zeitgeist. Kids are more technologically savvy and self-aware than ever before and the current model for cool is divided between commercial bling hop and "artistic" indie rock that snooty journalists like. Rap and hip hop is the new big dumb heavy beast. Rock has matured into some really cool places though but the channels for receiving it have changed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    You're missing my point -- if rock music becomes something that the average listener has to actively seek out (as opposed to it being "spoonfed," to use your term), it's going to regress into a completely niche state (like contemporary Jazz, for example).

The entire industry suffers at that point, IMO.
    Im not missing your point at all I dont think. I just think that your opinion that Rock is dead is wrong. I think what has happened is that the industry has transformed, which was touched on in a couple of posts. You could definitely go into a thesis worth of material as to why. But like Larry said above crappy hip hop and other things have been deemed what is going to be delivered to the masses at this point in time and I honestly think that this is one of the biggest mistakes (among many) that the larger recording companies and corporate radio have made.
    But more than any other genre of music Rock had adapted the best to the current times we are in. The big recording companies may not be putting as much effort into developing rock bands like they used to, but look at what is happening with all these smaller record labels popping up everywhere putting out great quality music. Do it yourself, grassroots stuff that has a great honest quality to it. There are too many to name. Look at the resurgence in Vinyl sales over the last couple of years which is mainly tied to rock music. Look at the number of large festivals mainly all based in Rock music that we have now, there are new ones cropping up every year. Even when you look at the top grossing tours last year a good number are rock bands.
    The music industry is an ever changing landscape...and I certainly agree with you that it sucks you cant just turn on the radio and hear good rock music like you used to in most cities in the US. Its a shame, but it is out there. Alive and well, with more variety, quality, and quantity than there ever has been, its just being delivered a little differently than it has been in the past.

Stat geek...and proud
    Mainstream rock isn't dead, but it's very sick, mostly because all the known commodities are bland and not very good. Your Nickelback's of the world and the like. The underground is thriving, especially the metal scene, which is my scene. And, bonus, there's been a renaissance of older bands coming back with killer albums because the new blood has made the old guard hungry again.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to put a new spin on the thread with a new weekly segment: R4B's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week, consisting of two tracks that once, albeit briefly at times, were in heavy rotation on then-AOR stations, and rarely, if ever, get played anymore.

On to song #1:

Son Volt-Drown(1996)

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about this New Orleans based band, except that this is about the only song from the band to receive any national airplay...and it rocks!

Son Volt - Drown - YouTube

Prism-Don't Let Him Know(1982)

This song, co-written by a then fledgling Rock Star, Bryan Adams, actually topped the Billboard Rock Tracks in late March of 1992. It has gone largely ignored since then, but should be instantly recognizable to those who listened to AOR stations back in the day.

Prism - Don't Let Him Know - YouTube
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Mainstream rock isn't dead, but it's very sick, mostly because all the known commodities are bland and not very good. Your Nickelback's of the world and the like. The underground is thriving, especially the metal scene, which is my scene. And, bonus, there's been a renaissance of older bands coming back with killer albums because the new blood has made the old guard hungry again.
    My scene as well, and there are many great bands springing up in Europe that I've been able to find thanks to the internet, which has really revived my interest in music lately.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

That Prism song is vaguely familiar. If I just heard the audio I would have guessed Asia or someone similar.

who could sell out a stadium and is under 50?
    Metallica (they don't start turning 50 until the end of this year)

All-Star Rock Supergroups are the focus of this week's edition of R4B's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week.

BBM-Waiting In The Wings(1994)

BBM was essentially Cream minus Eric Clapton, adding the late Gary Moore to the mix. Believe me, they rocked every bit as well with Moore. Their CD, titled Around The Next Dream was released in the Fall of 1994. If you are a fan of Cream and/or Gary Moore, it is well worth a listen. To my knowledge, this track was the only one to receive significant AOR airplay.

Waiting in the Wings-BBM - YouTube

The Firm-Live In Peace(1986)

When you combine the collective talents of Paul Rodgers and Jimmy Page, what's not to like? Well, except the Firm's signature song "Radioactive." I never cared for that one **running very fast** but really liked "Satisfaction Guaranteed" and "All The Kings Horses."

But this, IMHO, masterpiece of a song tops them all, and is as fine of a performance by Rodgers as anything he was involved with, solo or with Bad Company. Also, Jimmy Page's guitar solo is as awesome as any he has performed since "Stairway To Heaven."

**Again, running very fast and dodging rotten tomatoes..

The Firm - Live in Peace - YouTube
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Rather than start a new thread, I'm going to put a new spin on the thread with a new weekly segment: R4B's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week, consisting of two tracks that once, albeit briefly at times, were in heavy rotation on then-AOR stations, and rarely, if ever, get played anymore.

On to song #1:

Son Volt-Drown(1996)

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about this New Orleans based band, except that this is about the only song from the band to receive any national airplay...and it rocks!

Son Volt - Drown - YouTube

Prism-Don't Let Him Know(1982)

This song, co-written by a then fledgling Rock Star, Bryan Adams, actually topped the Billboard Rock Tracks in late March of 1992. It has gone largely ignored since then, but should be instantly recognizable to those who listened to AOR stations back in the day.

Prism - Don't Let Him Know - YouTube
    There is one song by Prism that I really like... Think it's called "Is He BetterThan Me?"
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    There is one song by Prism that I really like... Think it's called "Is He BetterThan Me?"
    That it is. Good call and good song.

Prism - Is He Better Than Me - YouTube

not quite sure if i like this song or not, but it's been on repeat for about an hour now...kinda catchy

Imagine Dragons - Radioactive - YouTube

Rock hasn't changed, simply the method of finding music has changed. When I was in high school, the only conduits to new music were the radio and knowing that one kid in your high school whose brother worked at the college music store. By the time I entered college, CDNow replaced that system. You could find a band you liked, and go down an internet spiral into similar bands. And, to prove my point that music hasn't changed, there are a bunch of older artists who have become somewhat popular and known (see Big Star, Nick Drake). The internet has made no huge bands but no obscure bands either, it has simply granted access.

As for the title of this thread, there are still Album oriented rock groups:
    Sufjan Stevens
    The Flaming Lips
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

I think the problem with the notion of AOR has been come to be associated with Classic Rock, mainly because the radio stations that played that format never adapted to keep up with new trends in rock music. For example, the rock radio stations in Cleveland seemed to stop adding new music to their play lists the moment grunge came out. All the sudden, their format went from AOR to Classic Rock, almost as if it were an excuse not to have to play grunge. Of course, I'll give them a listen every once in a while and it seems now that they're trying to rectify that by working in newer artists, but unfortunately, by new they mean Nickelback.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the problem with the notion of AOR has been come to be associated with Classic Rock, mainly because the radio stations that played that format never adapted to keep up with new trends in rock music. For example, the rock radio stations in Cleveland seemed to stop adding new music to their play lists the moment grunge came out. All the sudden, their format went from AOR to Classic Rock, almost as if it were an excuse not to have to play grunge. Of course, I'll give them a listen every once in a while and it seems now that they're trying to rectify that by working in newer artists, but unfortunately, by new they mean Nickelback.
    Spot on. Also, the preponderance of Modern/Alternative Rock stations and Triple-A (Adult Album Alternative--A mixture of Non-Rap/Bubble Gum Pop, Rock, and Alternative) Stations contributed the demise of traditional AOR Radio.

Bob Marley and Stevie Wonder, who actually received quite a bit of AOR airplay before the advent of Disco, would be relegated to Triple-A Rock stations today.

An iconic Metal band and a band named with a baseball term are spotlighted in this weeks edition of R4B's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week.

Iron Maiden - Flight Of Icarus (1983)

British Heavy-Metal mainstays Iron Maiden developed a huge following even though most of their music did not receive substantial AOR airplay. This song, which peaked at #8 on Billboards Rock Tracks Chart in the summer of 1983, was an exception. The Trooper and Run To The Hills are other signature Iron Maiden songs.

flight of icarus - iron maiden - YouTube

Fastball - Fire Escape (1998)

Fastball's smash hit The Way was all over Top 40 Pop and AOR Radio circa Spring/Summer 1998. This follow-up tune flopped on Top 40 radio, but proved to be just as popular as The Way on AOR Radio. IMHO, this is the superior song of the two, but, if you have no recollection of it, feel free to determine that for yourself.

Fastball - Fire Escape - YouTube

Turn Off Ads?