Turn Off Ads?
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Back in '80-81 I had a roommate who was a big JJ Cale fan and introduced me to him. Reading an interview with him after hearing about his death, he came across as a much more normal person than I expected. He said something to the effect that he decided to focus on songwriting because it paid well, and he wasn't going to make it as a guitarist.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Blue Oyster Cult Co-Founder Allen Lanier Dead at 67

Guitarist-keyboardist also contributed to Patti Smith, Clash records
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-67-20130815

Talk about an overlooked, awesome band that, save for a few tracks, AOR radio continues to largely ignore today. To that end, I'll post some lost AOR BOC classics as soon as time permits.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-11-2013)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-67-20130815

Talk about an overlooked, awesome band that, save for a few tracks, AOR radio continues to largely ignore today. To that end, I'll post some lost AOR BOC classics as soon as time permits.
    The interview with Buck Dharma on "That Metal Show" was great...I was surprised as heck when they asked all the guests "If you could write one song that somebody else did what would it be..." and Dharma said "Boys of Summer," which is the answer I would have given.

Insightful and great interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    The interview with Buck Dharma on "That Metal Show" was great...I was surprised as heck when they asked all the guests "If you could write one song that somebody else did what would it be..." and Dharma said "Boys of Summer," which is the answer I would have given.

Insightful and great interview.
    I'll make it a point to check that out. Intersting answer, though. Then again, "Boys of Summer" is timeless, as far as I'm concerned.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

As promised, here are a handful of lost Blue Oyster Cult AOR classics not named "Don't Fear The Reaper", "Godzilla" or "Burnin' For You".

Enjoy!

In Thee (1979)

Album: Mirrors

Take Me Away (1983)

Shooting Shark (1983)

Album: The Revolution By Night

Dancin' In The Ruins (1986)

Album: Club Ninja

Astronomy (1988)

Album: Imaginos

Last edited by Revering4Blue; 08-18-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Added Album titles

8. Likes:

Captain13 (08-23-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

Here's a great one. I remember this song getting quite a bit of play around 1992 or 1993, and the band kind of vanished.

Last edited by gilpdawg; 08-25-2013 at 07:21 AM.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-25-2013)

Hi guys,

This is my first post here so I hope this is ok. I just read all 24 pages of this thread and I am so blown away that I'm not the only one that feels how important these songs are. They should have all been huge hits. I'm an old radio guy and managers and consultants used to tell me that all these songs were too deep and "unfamiliar" to play. I wasn't aware of ClassX but have been listening to their stream this week. It's a shame more corporations won't bring back the old AOR format. If they only knew how loyal we would be.

I've seen a lot of you here that are into classic rock that "really rocks" and I would be honored if you checked out my station. DC Rock has been a hobby and passion of mine for the past 7 years. It's actually a tribute to some of the AOR stations I grew up listening to as a kid outside of Tampa. In a nutshell, it's all the really cool rock songs that aren't on the radio anymore, very much like the songs in this thread.

You all seem like very nice people and certainly open minded. Try to listen when you have more than just 5 or 10 minutes...the songs rotate thru different time periods and styles. For the most part it's an uptempo and energetic format...most all the songs are very guitar oriented. What you WON'T hear are the same burned-out hits over and over.

This is the soundtrack of my life, and hopefully yours. There's forgotten classic songs from the groups we all know like Aerosmith, Rush, Deep Purple and AC/DC. Then there's stuff from guitar greats like Robin Trower, Pat Travers, Yngwie Malmsteen and Jeff Beck...killer 70's classics from UFO, Frank Marino, Humble Pie, Jerry Doucette, Savoy Brown, Vandenburg, Starz, Moon Martin, Nils Lofgren, Touch, Uriah Heep, The Inmates, Angel...awesome 80's tracks from bands like 707, Shooting Star, Planet P Project, Taxii, Michael Stanley Band, XYZ, Rainbow, Van Zant...there's heavy hitters from Priest, Sabbath, Saxon, Slaughter, Crue, Krokus, Iron Maiden, Kingdom Come...and then some early 90's mixed in from time to time with groups like Brother Cane, Extreme, Black Crowes and Chris Rea.

You can listen free anytime and no login is required. You can also listen on your iphone...just download the free app called Live365, then search for DC Rock and add it as a preset. I hope you like what you hear...

http://www.dcrockradio.com

I'm sorry this was so long and I hope it doesn't get me banned. No one has posted in this thread in about a month and I wanted to tell you guys about my stream before this got locked. Really nice to meet you all,

Dave Collins
    Last edited by Dave Collins; 10-02-2013 at 06:15 AM.

12. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (10-09-2013),Dom Heffner (10-18-2013),Revering4Blue (10-02-2013),texasdave (10-05-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

I will check it out. Always on the lookout for different streaming stations that stand out from the regular crap.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I will check it out. Always on the lookout for different streaming stations that stand out from the regular crap.
    Excellent...I hope some of the others see this also

Fellow Redzoners,

Now that the trials and tribulations of daily life no longer, at least for now, tie up what used to be "free time", I'm planning on, once again, contributing one lost Rock Track entry per week, consisting of two -- occasionally more -- tracks, which have virtually disappeared from Commercial Terrestrial Rock Radio.

Without further adieu..

Jude Cole - Start The Car (1992)
    Album: Start The Car

Better known, most likely, for the Pop/AOR crossover hits, "Baby, It's Tonight" and "Time For Letting Go", and for managing the occasionally Rock, mostly Lite FM - style band, Lifehouse, singer/songwriter/guitarist, Jude Cole scored a huge AOR hit exactly twenty-one years ago with this semi-bluesy track with a memorable guitar riff.

IMO, the best of Cole's four AOR hits, by far.

Firefall - Headed For A Fall (1980)
    Album: Undertow

There are two ways in which to view this band:

Negatively: Best known for two of the sappiest/shmaltziest 70's songs: "You Are The Woman" and "Just Remember I Love You", of which I can honestly say that I do not ever recall hearing the aforementioned songs on AOR Radio.

Positively: To their credit, the band moved away from the schmaltz sound and produced a handful of fine AOR hits, namely, "Strange Way" -- one of the band's signature songs -- and this track, which was also a minor Pop hit, in the style of Fleetwood Mac, Poco and early Eagles, even though it was/is too melancholy/painfully realistic for Pop radio, even for the time period, but fit right in on AOR radio.

To sum things up, IMO, with the possible exception of "Strange Way", one would be hard-pressed to find a better Firefall track, and if this posting helps to erase the sappy, gawd - awful Firefall tracks from your mind, it was well worth posting.

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-14-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: failed to properly embed youtube links

16. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-21-2013),RichRed (10-19-2013)

Two great artists- I listen to Strange Way once a week at least. Powerful song...great melody but in darker octaves.

Jude Cole. Wow. I prefer the two poppier tracks but nothing wrong with the song you posted. He also wrote the title song to "Back to School ," which is a cool tune for its time.

He also manages Lifehouse and wrote "You and Me" and many other songs.

Super cool post-

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-16-2013)

Thanks, Dom.

Regarding "Strange Way", I couldn't agree with you more. IMO, it sounds as good today as when it was released (1978). I cannot say the same thing about the their two "signature" tracks, which sound dated, but I must admit that I've reached the point where I can actually tolerate "Just Remember I Love You".

You also brought up an excellent point about the "power" of songs -- that it has nothing to do with how guitar-driven a song is; it is/was considered Rock from the AOR standpoint. "Strange Way" -- which still gets the shaft from Classic Rock radio today (The "oldies" radio format isn't the same as "Classic Rock"; not even close) -- and "Headed For A Fall" are about as powerful as they come.

Even so, Firefall, from a Rock Radio standpoint, would most likely be relegated to AAA (Adult Album Alternative) today, along with Jude Cole and Lifehouse. All of which points to my chief tenet regarding this thread: Today's Rock music is actually as diverse now as it was during the AOR format's heyday, but today, one has to listen to at least four radio stations for the same content as a one could hear from one Rock station years ago. Simply put, today's sub-genered Commercial Rock Stations don't reflect Rock's diversity well at all.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-17-2013 at 07:44 PM.

20. Likes:

marcshoe (10-17-2013)

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2014 are in, and the list includes Nirvana, Kiss, the Replacements and Hall and Oates. The rest of this year's hopefuls are the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Chic, Deep Purple, Peter Gabriel, LL Cool J, N.W.A, Link Wray, the Meters, Linda Ronstadt, Cat Stevens, Yes and the Zombies. The top vote-getters will be inducted in April at a ceremony in New York City.

For the second consecutive year, the public gets to vote alongside the artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 10th, fans can vote on RollingStone.com for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the Class of 2014.
    Still no ELO or Iron Maiden?
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-17-2013 at 07:45 PM.

nm
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-17-2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Thy dreaded double post

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Thanks, Dom.

Regarding "Strange Way", I couldn't agree with you more. IMO, it sounds as good today as when it was released (1978). I cannot say the same thing about the their two "signature" tracks, which sound dated, but I must admit that I've reached the point where I can actually tolerate "Just Remember I Love You".

You also brought up an excellent point about the "power" of songs -- that it has nothing to do with how guitar-driven a song is; it is/was considered Rock from the AOR standpoint. "Strange Way" -- which still gets the shaft from Classic Rock radio today (The "oldies" radio format isn't the same as "Classic Rock"; not even close) -- and "Headed For A Fall" are about as powerful as they come.

Even so, Firefall, from a Rock Radio standpoint, would most likely be relegated to AAA (Adult Album Alternative) today, along with Jude Cole and Lifehouse. All of which points to my chief tenet regarding this thread: Today's Rock music is actually as diverse now as it was during the AOR format's heyday, but today, one has to listen to at least four radio stations for the same content as a one could hear from one Rock station years ago. Simply put, today's sub-genered Commercial Rock Stations don't reflect Rock's diversity well at all.
    The thing that is great about what you do here is that you put forth some stuff that a lot of folks dismiss.

For someone like me who just loves music- the bigger the tent, the better. Firefall is one of those bands where we they make an easy target because they are basically thrown to the soft rock stations because of the lighter hits you mention. For me, those songs are wonderful. I don't demand that every song i like be cutting edge hard hitting thrashing rock and roll.

Strange Way is one of those songs that bucks conventionality- as I stated it's a bit darker and there's lots happening. I always loved the stacatto strings that sound like morse code during the chorus. I had forgotten about the song until we started playing the ultra lite rock station at work and it popped up there. It's out of place because for me its edge could put it right alongside the classic rock stuff, but hey, it's Firefall, they sang Just Remember I Love You, so let's play it alongside Silly Love Songs...

Anyhoo, keep up the great work here. Always good to hear some of the stuff that gets forgotten. If I could post a Youtube video I'd join but i can't figure it out....

Turn Off Ads?