Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Stat geek...and proud
    I love me some King's X as well.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I love me some King's X as well.
    +1

Here's a once heavily played King's X track from 1992. I actually met the band when they checked into the hotel where I was working at around 2 A.M, back when "It's Love" (likely their signature song) was all over AOR radio.

King's X - Black Flag - YouTube

I still can't understand why no King's X tracks following "Dogman" ever reached even light to moderate National AOR airplay. On that note, I'm glad that texasdave posted the King's X tracks from the "Ear Candy" CD.

As for the Galactic Cowboys track, I didn't recognize the Band or the Title until I listened to it--then, what do you know?

I hadn't heard it in years. Talk about an awesome Lost track..

Some real gems posted here by fellow Redzoners lately.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Here's a nice beatlesque tune from our neighbors in the north. Once again I bought the album (CD) just for this track. The video is great-saw it on MuchMusic back in the day... Ladies & Gents, The Odds (with cameos by Junkhouse and the Pursuit of Happiness):

Odds-Eat My Brain - YouTube
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Y&T-Don't Stop Runnin' ( 1984)

Bay area-based Y&T, best known for the track "Summertime Girls," should have been at least as popular as Quiet Riot--whose two major AOR hits were remakes of Slade songs--and White Lion. Dave Meniketti, IMHO, was/ is as good of a Metal voice as anyone and really could rip the guitar. Anyway, this track--hokey, but entertaining, video and all--is still the best of their AOR hits to me. 1983 AOR hit "Mean Streak" is also recommended.

Y&T - Don't Stop Runnin' - YouTube

The Jayhawks-Waiting For The Sun (1993)

The only AOR hit for this Minneapolis-based band. Sadly, they've been relegated to AAA radio since then, which, IMHO, represents everything wrong with commercial AOR today--Unless you are either a legendary band (read: Van Halen) or a Post-Grunge Metal band, or you are the Foo Fighters or Nickelback, you will rarely, if ever, gain airplay today with newer, if even older, material. No wonder so many younger people have such a small perspective of what AOR truly means.

The Jayhawks - Waiting for the Sun - YouTube

Saga-The Flyer (1983)

Best known for the '82 AOR/Pop/MTV hit "On The Loose" from the LP "Worlds Apart," Saga also scored AOR hits with "Wind Him Up"--the follow-up to "On The Loose"--"What Do I Know," --IMHO, the weakest of them all--and this great track from the "Heads Or Tails" LP. Much like fellow Canadian band Honeymoon Suite, Saga was very popular in Canada, and it seems as if few remember the band by name here.

Saga - The Flyer - YouTube

As always, Rock On, Redszone!

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 08-18-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Here's a nice beatlesque tune from our neighbors in the north. Once again I bought the album (CD) just for this track. The video is great-saw it on MuchMusic back in the day... Ladies & Gents, The Odds (with cameos by Junkhouse and the Pursuit of Happiness):

Odds-Eat My Brain - YouTube
    Nice song.

Love the Jayhawks. I will throw my fave Jayhawks song out there.

The Jayhawks - "Ten Little Kids" (Webster Hall, NYC - 01/21/11) - YouTube

Another, IMO, underrated band is/was/will be The Bottle Rockets. Country rock.

The Bottle Rockets "Sunday Sports" - YouTube
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-18-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks for the Y&T dap........I agree Menniketti was an underrated singer and guitarist. They did start getting a lil 'cheesy' with 'Summertime Girls', but over all, had great music. The song 'Forever', on their live cd, of their farewell performance, is just phenomenal.
    Keep up the great work, and Rock On.

sometimes cash wakes me up better than coffee...love ya momma

Johnny Cash Devil's right Hand - YouTube

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Before he was relegated to LiteFM, Richard Marx had a couple of AOR hits. The first and my favorite is Don't Mean Nothin'. Also Satisfied and Should've Known Better got AOR play.

richard marx - don't mean nothin' - YouTube
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Before he was relegated to LiteFM, Richard Marx had a couple of AOR hits. The first and my favorite is Don't Mean Nothin'. Also Satisfied and Should've Known Better got AOR play.

richard marx - don't mean nothin' - YouTube
    My fav is Keep Coming Back".
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I'd like to begin this week's edition of Lost Rocks Of The Week by, once again, thanking everyone for their contributions this past week. Actually, one of you posted a track by an Artist I had planned to feature this week, but I'll hold off on posting that particular Artist/track this week, as I don't want to detract from anyone's previous post.

Jackyl-The Lumberjack (1992)

Jackyl-Push Comes To Shove (1994)

This is simply a case of indecision of which track to post, so I decided to go ahead and post two tracks.

The former track is considered the band's signature track. The Latter is actually the band's biggest AOR hit based on Billboard Rock Tracks chart position--peaked at #7--and is my personal favorite Jackyl AOR hit. Oddly enough, their AOR hit "Down On Me" continues to receive the most AOR airplay, and the band seemed to continually push the envelope with edgy material.

On that note, frontman Jesse James Dupree had/has a point when he stated that "Rock n' roll ain't supposed to be like Sunday School."

Jackyl - The Lumberjack - YouTube

Jackyl - Push Comes To Shove - YouTube

Jim Capaldi-Something So Strong (1988)

If you are ever discussing great drummer/vocalists at your next cocktail party--yeah, I know that is unlikely--don't call it a night without mentioning the late Jim Capaldi, formerly of Traffic. This inspirational piece of AOR--one I feel is one of the best songs ever written... Period--is one that I believe that you will be unable to keep out of any workout music mix you may utilize.

This track is also noteworthy as it features Steve Winwood, also a former member of Traffic, on both Synthesizer and guitar. I can't say enough about this one.

JIM CAPALDI - SOMETHING SO STRONG (Best of the Best OST) - YouTube

Diesel-Sausolito Summernight (1981)

From the album Watts In The Tank, this was hugely popular on both AOR and Top 40/Pop radio--the 45 rpm version was truncated to the point that it was butchered--during the Fall of '81. It was the only hit that this Dutch band ever had.

Very witty lyrics highlight this track about a road trip in a jalopy in which everything that could go wrong does. I'm fairly certain that the 40+ year old Redzoners out there will remember this "closet classic" presented here in full LP version.

Diesel Sausolito Summernight.mpg - YouTube

As always, Rock On, Redzone!

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 08-25-2012 at 11:45 PM.

I don't get the dislike over the Beastie Boys getting into the Rock Hall. They started out as a punk band that ended up fusing Rock and Hip Hop and influencing a great deal of other acts. I agree that there are a number of bands snubbed that should be in, but I would have made the Faces, Donovan and, yes, Guns 'N' Roses wait before the Beastie Boys. Was never a fan of Axl Rose and always thought he sounded like someone was hitting a bag of cats with a stick.

I was just going over the list of snubs for the Rock Hall and I found something truly amazing. http://www.futurerocklegends.com/The_Snub_List.php

There are some great groups and performers on that list, and I would put a good number of them in the Hall. But what I want to know is, who in the world keeps nominating Chic? They've been eligible for 10 years and have been nominated 6 times already. Seriously? Because they had 1 disco hit back in the day. And yet bands like Deep Purple, Cheap Trick, Rush, and ELO have come up goose eggs on even being nominated? Even looking at another disco era performer, Donna Summer has been eligible for 13 years and yet has only been nominated 4 times, and she is pretty much the Queen of Disco.

Personally, I'd like to see bands like Rush, Cheap Trick, ELO, and Deep Purple get in as well as bands like Iron Maiden, Devo, The Cure, The Smiths, The Replacements, and KISS get the call. Of the newer eligible acts, I think the Pixies and Sonic Youth should get tabbed, but won't because they were overshadowed by the Grunge-Alt Rock movement they greatly influenced.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I don't get the dislike over the Beastie Boys getting into the Rock Hall. They started out as a punk band that ended up fusing Rock and Hip Hop and influencing a great deal of other acts.
    Personal take: Of course the Beastie Boys are RRHOF worthy, just not ahead of many others such as Rush, ELO and others. Yes, they influenced others. But, IMHO, that's not such a great thing.

In the case of Linkin Park, the Rap/Hip Hop is just a supplement, so many traditional Rock fans accepted them. Everlast, too, was successful because he toned it down and didn't operate at the normal "manic" Rap/Hip Hop pace. After that, Rap/Hip Hop began to infiltrate Metal, and even though Nu-Metal/Post Grunge "monotone" Metal was the rage for awhile--mostly because it attracted the Rap/Hip Hop crowd who had previously ignored Rock--it, IMHO, not "Grunge," is what led many AOR stations to become Classic Rock stations.

Traditional Melodic AOR and, to a certain extent, "Hair Metal" still co-existed with the likes of Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots and others--even Alternative Metal co-existed with traditional Rock. But once the manic Rap/Hip Hop/monotone Metal became the norm, it was curtains for many AOR stations, who either went the "Classic Rock" or "Active Rock" route.

Another "Something So Strong" song. This one from a very underrated band. Started out as Split Enz and then morphed into
    Crowded House.

Crowded House - Something So Strong - YouTube

Beach house wild 1
    Jay z no church in the wild 2
    Broken social scene forced to love 9
    White hinterland Icarus 8
    Beatles hey bulldog 11*
    Of monsters and men mountain sound
    The Blue Van-There Goes My *13
    The Features-That's how it starts 12
    Jimmy Eat World-Your new aesthetic demo 4
    Dr dog hang on 14
    M83 outro 16
    Mumford and sons I will wait 7*
    Grizzly bear ready, able 11
    My moon my man Feist grizzly bear remix 15
    Radiohead backdrifts

My latest created album outro might be one of my fav songs I've ever put on a cd

Turn Off Ads?