Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Another one of my favorite artists from the era was Rick Springfield. It's been much discussed how he was a legitimate musician and his stuff was getting AOR play until the station managers found out he was on a soap opera. He wound up in Tiger Beat Magazine while he was in his 30s...his looks hurt him with the rock crowd.

However, there are some great gems in his catalog- I tried to pick some ones that weren't heavy airplay, including a few newer ones from the 2000s.

Rick Springfield- I get Excited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwZvdQrz75o

Carry Me Away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_zTiqAFRl0

Hole in My Heart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L91VibZWTlM

What's Victoria's Secret (He rips off Jessie's Girl here, but this song is cool).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLSXZHxg_I4

Wasted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPws30KPnAw

2. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-31-2013),Revering4Blue (10-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Collins View Post
    Dom, I see you are down in my old stumping ground. My stream is actually a tribute to the "old" 98ROCK (and a few others that are gone). I don't know how long you've lived there, but a station across the bay in Bradenton, where my folks still live, used to be the "easy listening" station back in the early 80's. I worked on the AM country station and every 3 hours we had to go into the hall and change the big music reels on the FM automation that all the old folks listened to. I heard a few years ago that it was now the Classic Rock station. Really funny how things change. It's something else now. Apparently classic rock is back in Tampa on not one but two frequencies piped in from NYC and one of the jocks used to be on the old heritage rocker WPLJ...

Classic Rock format ‘Thunder’ comes back to Tampa Bay radio
    http://www.examiner.com/article/clas...ampa-bay-radio

I would be interested in getting your take since you live there. Are they doing something unique and true to the format or is this the same old mindless corporate format?
    One thing I like about 105.9 is the years they cover- you'll hear some old Rolling Stones, then they'll play Bryan Adams. You hear the singles, of course, but it's refreshing to not be stuck in one decade. There's Stevie Ray Vaughn, CCR, Floyd....

I actually like 107.3 The Eagle- You'll hear more Zeppelin and Leppard (Glad to see someone putting them together).

It would be cool if we could get a station to play 90% hits and then drop in 10% deeper cuts.

But I'll take the four decades span they've been doing recently- I want to listen all week at work and not hear too many repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Well, look what I found on Youtube, of all places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7fgBqBHvY

I remember hearing "We Can Get Together", believe it or not, on Top 40 radio more often than on AOR Radio. OTOH, the title track received major AOR airplay, though, I mainly recall it as the second Icehouse track on two-fer Tuesday, when "Crazy", "Electric Blue" and the David Bowie -Esq, "No Promises" -- The band's other major AOR hit in the States -- were at their peak, and still remains, IMO, the band's definitive AOR radio track.
    I have a worn-out cassette of that album with that artwork in a box somewhere. I noticed some of the confused comments. It wasn't a demo; it was the original Australian version.

Interesting to remember the somewhat less New Wave Ian Moss of Cold Chisel on one of the tracks. In College, Icehouse's Davies was a classical music guy who ended up transcribing Chisel's music.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Let's get a bump...

How about some AOR mid-80s....Formed in Niagara Falls by lead singer Johnnie Dee...their album "The Big Prize" was pruduced by Bruce Fairbairn, who did Slippery When Wet, Pump, and worked with Van Halen, INXS, Loverboy, KISS, AC/DC, Scorpions and many more.

Honeymoon Suite had mild success...could be heard on MTV, and I want to say WEBN played them for a spell. My ex-girlfrind's step mother dated their manager for awhile, which made for an interesting all night conversation nobody cared about but me lol...

Honeymoon Suite- New Girl Now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK0AmgDGpPo

Feel it Again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQYU9xcdNtY

And for you ballad lovers, one of the most well known songs to never be an out and out hit. I want to say it was in a movie, but I can't find it so maybe I'm wrong....

Honeymoon Suite- What Does it Take

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaELZ5q6Y7M

7. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-31-2013),Revering4Blue (10-25-2013)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Good band.

You are correct about "What Does It Take", as it was, indeed, in the movie, "One Crazy Summer" and also on the 1986 album, The Big Prize , along with "Feel It Again" and the following AOR hit, possibly my favorite Honeymoon Suite track:

Honeymoon Suite - Bad Attitude (1986)
    Album: The Big Prize

Harder-edged than the band's other AOR hits, this one still sounds as good to me as it did when it debuted the Spring of my Senior year of High School.

While I'm at it, I'll just take the easy way out and piggyback off of recent posts.

Foreigner - Woman In Black (1981)
    Album: 4

From the standpoint of the number of tracks gracing AOR radio playlists at the time - I can think of seven, OTTOMH - this was the band's biggest album. I do not believe that it is/was their best album, mainly, because, IMO, the concurrent Pop/AOR hits -- "Break It Up", the exception -- are just are not as memorable to me as, say, "Blue Morning, Blue Day", "That Was Yesterday " and "Long, Long Way From Home", to name a few. This track was one of two or three never released as singles that my local AOR station played the heck out of at the time.

Give me this track over "Urgent" and "Waiting For A Girl Like You" any day.

Rick Springfield - Calling All Girls (1982)
    Album: Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet

Regarding a previous post by Dom, virtually all of Rick Springfield's singles released to Top 40 radio also made AOR radio playlists Nationwide at the time.

This was his lone AOR hit that wasn't released as a single, peaking at #4 on Billboard's Top Rock Tracks Chart, proving to be his biggest charting Rock Track.

Why it was never released as a single -- it had "hit" written all over it -- is anybody's guess. Than again, the record company's purpose at the time may have been to give fans an incentive to buy the album (rather than a '45); quite possibly why Led Zeppelins "Stairway To Heaven" and "All My Love" were also never released as a singles.

The guy could really rock. His newer material, which ClassX radio plays, is also quite good.

Adieu from R4Blue
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

9. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-31-2013),Dom Heffner (10-25-2013)

Boston to release new album in December.

* "Life, Love & Hope" is the classic-rock group's first new album in more than a decade.

* "Life, Love & Hope" will be released Dec. 3.

* The album will include vocal tracks from original singer Brad Delp, who died in 2007.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...ember/3143005/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Well, look what I found on Youtube, of all places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR7fgBqBHvY

I remember hearing "We Can Get Together", believe it or not, on Top 40 radio more often than on AOR Radio. OTOH, the title track received major AOR airplay, though, I mainly recall it as the second Icehouse track on two-fer Tuesday, when "Crazy", "Electric Blue" and the David Bowie -Esq, "No Promises" -- The band's other major AOR hit in the States -- were at their peak, and still remains, IMO, the band's definitive AOR radio track.
    Was it in this thread that I posted (or someone posted) the video for "We Can Get Together"? If not here it is... (one of my MTV favs):

2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

12. Likes:

marcshoe (10-25-2013),Revering4Blue (10-25-2013)

You don't know how many times I've heard this song but didn't know the group... "I Can't Quit Her" by Blood Sweat & Tears. But it's the early version of the band with Al Kooper on lead not the better known David Clayton Thomas. BTW Kooper plays the organ on Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone".

"We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Boston to release new album in December.

* "Life, Love & Hope" is the classic-rock group's first new album in more than a decade.

* "Life, Love & Hope" will be released Dec. 3.

* The album will include vocal tracks from original singer Brad Delp, who died in 2007.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...ember/3143005/
    I'll hope for something passable...if it isn't mostly Delp, I'll be disappointed.

"Mary, Mary" by The Butterfield Blues Band"...

Definitely not AOR but here is the better known version by The Monkees...

16. Likes:

Dave Collins (10-31-2013),Revering4Blue (10-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    You don't know how many times I've heard this song but didn't know the group... "I Can't Quit Her" by Blood Sweat & Tears. But it's the early version of the band with Al Kooper on lead not the better known David Clayton Thomas. BTW Kooper plays the organ on Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone".

I still have the Blood, Sweat and Tears Greatest Hits LP somewhere -- which contains this often overlooked track -- along with the meticulous recording of said LP onto a Maxell Chrome Cassette with Dolby Noise reduction. Hard to believe that was top of the line audio at one time.

BST really helped pave the way for bands like Chicago and, IMO, if Chicago is ever inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame (hard to believe they are not there) Blood, Sweat and Tears should get the call, as well.

I actually like 107.3 The Eagle- You'll hear more Zeppelin and Leppard (Glad to see someone putting them together).
    Dom, do you listen or can you listen to 107.9 out of Sarasota? When I'm down that way I save both stations in my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I'll hope for something passable...if it isn't mostly Delp, I'll be disappointed.
    Exactly as I feel, especially given the fact that Fran Cosmo, not a bad vocalist in his own right, is no longer part of the band. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Dom, do you listen or can you listen to 107.9 out of Sarasota? When I'm down that way I save both stations in my favorites.
    Absolutely. We switch around around at work...that's one of the ones we use!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

I'll be curious to see what it sounds like as well, I don't have a lot of expectations though.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

22. Likes:

Roy Tucker (10-29-2013)

Turn Off Ads?