Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    One of your better ones , Revering. I'm a Journey fan, I also loved "Only the Young" released between Frontiers and Raised on Radio on the VisionQuest soundtrack.
    Yeah, that's another good one. "Only The Young" and "Ask The Lonely" (from the Two Of A Kind soundtrack) are others that qualify as lost rock hits. I actually heard "Only The Young" on terrestrial radio for the first time in at least twenty years recently and was pleasantly surprised. The VisionQuest soundtrack itself, which also features John Waite's "Change" and Dio's "Hungry for Heaven, is really good.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-17-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Hey guys,

I've got a few related concert stories I've been wanting to share but have been caught up in everything else just like the rest of you. Just wanted to take a minute to say I hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!!! Looking forward to more great discussions in the new year

5. Likes:

Dom Heffner (12-23-2013),Revering4Blue (12-23-2013)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Ive got some tunes ready to go!

7. Likes:

Dave Collins (12-24-2013)

Merry AOR Christmas to all.

Tom Petty - Christmas All Over Again (1995)
    Album: Playback

Last edited by Revering4Blue; 12-23-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

9. Likes:

Dave Collins (12-24-2013),Dom Heffner (12-24-2013),RichRed (12-24-2013)

Once again, it is time, fellow Redzoners, to revisit AOR radio playlists of yesteryear.

Soul Asylum - Black Gold (1993)
    Album: Grave Dancers Union

To all terrestrial cookie-cutter rock radio station program directors,

Wake up, you Nerf brains!

"Runaway Train" and "Misery" -- huge crossover hits -- were, by no means, the only Soul Asylum AOR hits, as there were several between 02' and 08'. I suggest that you, at least once in a while, grant airplay to them, namely this one.

Andrew Gold - Lonely Boy (1977)
    Album: What's Wrong With This Picture?

Speaking of Gold....This is one of my 70's faves.

Despite the fact that this track was a top ten Pop single and huge AOR hit back in the day, it very rarely gains airplay anymore, even on Oldies stations -- which are entirely different from Classic Rock stations -- and Classic Rock radio virtually ignores it, as well.

Some may also recall the other hit recorded by the late Andrew Gold: "Thank You For Being A Friend", which was covered as the theme song for the hit TV series "The Golden Girls." But, IMO, this track is much, much better and timeless, as well.

Daryl Hall & John Oates - How Does It Feel To Be Back?(1980)
    Album: Voices

As many are well aware, this duo was recently inducted (finally) into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. And, make no mistake about it, Hall and Oates were very much a factor on AOR radio over the years, with virtually all of their singles from the 70's through '85 gaining significant Nationwide AOR radio airplay. This track, the long-forgotten lead single from the Voices album was no exception.

This track is also one of the few Hall & Oates hits that featured John Oates, no slouch as a vocalist, himself, singing lead -- OTTOMH, "Possession Obsession" was another. There were times that both Daryl and John both co-sang lead: "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" and the classic "She's Gone" both come to mind. As an aside: John Oates both co-wrote and sang backup on previous entry "Electric Blue" by Icehouse.

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 01-05-2014 at 02:25 PM.

11. Likes:

Dave Collins (01-07-2014),Dom Heffner (01-05-2014),RichRed (01-05-2014)

Switching the focus away from lost/forgotten rock radio hits for a bit, I thought that it might be fun for us to do an about-face and list -- in no particular order -- three songs apiece from previous decades that still gain at least semi-regular airplay on Classic rock/mainstream rock radio that you never tire of hearing.

OTTOMH, here are mine; what are yours?

60's:

The Animals - House Of The Rising Sun.

? And The Mysterians - 96 tears.

Rolling Stones - Paint It Black.

70's:

Jethro Tull - Teacher.

Ram Jam - Black Betty.

ELO - Sweet Talkin Woman.

80's:

Inxs - Devil Inside.

Genesis - Just A Job To Do.

Rush - Subdivisions.

90's:

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box.

Everclear -Santa Monica (Watch The World Die).

Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun.

"Aughts":

Staind - It's Been Awhile.

Foo Fighters - Times Like These.

Fountains Of Wayne - Stacy's Mom.

13. Likes:

Dave Collins (01-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    To all terrestrial cookie-cutter rock radio station program directors,

Wake up, you Nerf brains!

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Switching the focus away from lost/forgotten rock radio hits for a bit, I thought that it might be fun for us to do an about-face and list -- in no particular order -- three songs apiece from previous decades that still gain at least semi-regular airplay on Classic rock/mainstream rock radio that you never tire of hearing.
    60's:

Beatles - I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Cream - White Room

CCR - Run Thru The Jungle

70's:

Led Zeppelin - Kashmir

Bad Company - Movin' On

Edgar Winter - Free Ride

80's:

Rush - Tom Sawyer

Judas Priest - Livin' After Midnight

Police - Synchronicity II

90's:

Alice in Chains - Man in the Box

Soundgarden - Fell On Black Days

Godsmack - Whatever

Aughts:

Linkin Park - One Step Closer

Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows

30 Seconds to Mars - Capricorn (A Brand New Name)

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-08-2014)

PLAY AT MAXIMUM VOLUME FOR BEST RESULTS:

30 Seconds To Mars - Capricorn (A Brand New Name)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tqzcq1BY0

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-12-2014)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Sorry I haven't been on here, guys. I've been recovering from my "Worst Musical Tastes" celebration weekend.

Hangover like you wouldn't believe. Lots of Taylor Swift.

Rock on!

20. Likes:

Dave Collins (01-31-2014)

"Poor Musical Tastes" and all , it is time, once again, fellow Redzoners, to revisit AOR radio playlists of yesteryear.

Styx - Suite Madame Blue (1975)
    Album: Equinox

What you have here is, IMO, a criminally underrated/underplayed classic Styx track. of which I consider the best Styx track of them all and a heck of a better representation of the band's work than, say, the quirky "Mr. Roboto".

The departure of Tommy Shaw and Dennis DeYoung focusing on other ventures led to a state of hiatus for this band, which killed the band's momentum, which, IMO, is a good reason why the band, as of now, hasn't been mentioned as a viable Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame candidate.

Chris Cornell - Sunshower (1998)
    Album: Soundtrack: Great Expectations

Cutting right to the chase: This is one of the Soundgarden/Audioslave vocalist/frontman's few solo entries into the Rock radio world. IMO, any conversation about best Rock vocalist of all time -- or, at the very least, of his era -- is incomplete without mentioning Cornell.

Plus, Soundgarden is back together, so there's that.

Robert Tepper - No Easy Way Out (1986)
    Album: Soundtrack: Rocky IV

From an immensely popular Movie, this one and only hit for Robert Tepper, who was mainly a songwriter, is one that was all over both Top 40 and AOR radio at the time -- my Senior HS year -- then disappeared from radio -- along with Survivor's "Burning Heart" -- never to be heard from again.

When push comes to shove, while there may be 80's one hit Rock radio wonders that I like as much as this track, I can honestly state that there are no 80's one hit tracks that I like more than this one.

Adieu from R4Blue.

22. Likes:

Captain13 (01-21-2014),Dave Collins (01-31-2014),Dom Heffner (01-24-2014)

New Springsteen release is a cover of a song by the Saints.
    "Just like Fire Would"

24. Likes:

Dave Collins (01-31-2014),Revering4Blue (01-25-2014)

Having reached deep into the vaults for at least one lost AOR hit, it is time, once again, fellow Redzoners, to revisit AOR radio playlists of yesteryear.

Urge Overkill - Sister Havana (1993)
    Album: Saturation

While technically not an AOR one-hit wonder band -- two or three additional tracks received moderate AOR airplay -- this killer track was a huge AOR hit for this Chicago - based band.

Does it receive significant Classic/Mainstream terrestrial Rock station airplay today?

Nerp.

White Lion - Little Fighter (1989)
    Album: Big Game

Since it's been awhile since I've thrown a bone to the hair-metal crowd, I humbly submit this lost AOR radio classic, which happens to be my favorite White Lion tune with it's killer guitar solo.

This band produced six AOR hits from '88 - '91, before the hair-metal scene --assisted by the rise of Grunge -- petered out. However, only the crossover hits "Wait" and "When The Children Cry" seem to garner occasional Terrestrial cookie-cutter rock radio airplay today, which, IMO, bites.

Michael Anderson - Sound Alarm (1988)
    Album: Sound Alarm

Talk about a here today, gone tomorrow lost one-hit-wonder AOR hit, and one that, despite peaking at # I7 on the Billboard Rock Tracks chart right about the time that Steve Winwood's "Roll With It" was topping the aforementioned chart, l, frankly, wouldn't be the least surprised if no other Redzoner remembers this track.

The artist, Michael Anderson, is most likely better known today as both a songwriter and (later) as a Contemporary Christian artist. And while presenting us with a glimpse into his future with this apocalyptic -- Armageddon and Babylon are mentioned prominently -- but hook-laden track, Anderson delivers a powerful Springsteen/Mellencamp-like anthem that resonated with a large AOR radio audience; not -- and not wishing to tread Politics/Religion thread territory -- because of the message, which can also be interpreted in non-secular fashion, but rather, that many view/viewed it as simply a catchy Rock song, yours truly included.

Note: On Grooveshark links, such as the one below, simply click on "Play Song" and Viola!

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Sound+Alarm/31yl42?src=5

Adieu from R4Blue!
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-11-2014 at 12:11 AM.

26. Likes:

Dave Collins (02-13-2014)

Stat geek...and proud

Love Sister Havana. Just played it on Spotify a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Love Sister Havana. Just played it on Spotify a couple weeks ago.
    "Sister Havana" is one of my favorite songs from the '90s. Urge Overkill also did a pretty excellent cover of Neil Diamond's "Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon," featured in "Pulp Fiction."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?