Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

The Who will record this year – Daltrey
    http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...-year-daltrey/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Motley Crue: ‘There will be no final album. Blame radio.’
    Regardless of what anyone thinks of the Crue, Nikki Sixx is spot-on here, echoing the sentiments of us.

Note: I've edited out some "choice" words.

Nikki Sixx tells Classic Rock in an interview printed in full next issue: “We’ve written some songs. But this is difficult to say and probably harder to hear: when you spend nine months working on an album, all the work that goes into it and recording it, mixing it, mastering it, then you release it and it falls on deaf ears. Radio is so formatted, if you don’t have a banjo and a beard they’re not playing you over here. If you’re this kind of band at this stage of your career you can’t be played on Active Rock; if you’ve been around for more than fifteen years you’re classic rock, but classic rock radio doesn’t play new music.
    http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...m-blame-radio/
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Regardless of what anyone thinks of the Crue, Nikki Sixx is spot-on here, echoing the sentiments of us.

Sad but true. And there are classic bands still putting out excellent music. I don't know if anyone here has heard the last two Uriah Heep albums, but they may be the best two albums the band has ever done.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Sad but true. And there are classic bands still putting out excellent music. I don't know if anyone here has heard the last two Uriah Heep albums, but they may be the best two albums the band has ever done.
    I've heard a few tracks, on you guessed it, ClassX radio. But yeah, it's nuts just how rigid playlists are today. Examples: Two local rock radio stations:Station A is more or less Classic Rock -- but to their credit, they have a wide playlist -- that also plays new Rock that either "Classic" bands release, or they feel fits their format, and some of it is off the beaten path.

Station B is an Active Rock station that plays very little Classic Rock, but will not play new Rock by "Classic" bands. I'm sorry, but if you don't play Rush -- as Station B does not --how can you call yourself a Rock Station, regardless of whether you like Rush or not.

Scandal singer Patty Smyth has told of how she was invited to replace David Lee Roth in Van Halen – and when she refused they asked her to keep it quiet so that Sammy Hagar didn’t feel like second choice.
    http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/n...e-sammy-hagar/

What

the

heck?

What, Laurie Anderson wasn't available?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    What, Laurie Anderson wasn't available?

All kidding aside, Smyth most likely could have done a decent job with the pop-styled Van Hagar stuff, which, IMO, would have been a heck of a lot better than most of the Scandal/Smyth solo stuff -- I still like "Goodbye To You", though. That stated, this would have been much better served as a side project, much like The Firm or Power Station, for example.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I came a hair of posting this awhile back.

There is definitely some history between Eddie and Patty.

Eddie Van Halen played guitar on the original version of "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough" that was submitted to Columbia Records.

They didn't like the song, so it was rerecorded and released through MCA without Van Halen.

I'm a fan of much of her work- "Isn't it Enough" is a great cover, originally written and recorded by Danny Wilde, who would go on to be a key member of The Rembrandts .

Also enjoyed Smyth's work on The Hooter's single, "Where Do the Children Go," and her backing vocals on a few Don Henley solo records.

"Beat of a Heart" and "Hands Tied" are two great underplayed Scandal songs.

She did cover Tom Wait's "Downtown Train," which was underwhelming- nobody will ever do that song like Rod Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Also enjoyed Smyth's work on The Hooter's single, "Where Do the Children Go," and her backing vocals on a few Don Henley solo records.

"Beat of a Heart" and "Hands Tied" are two great underplayed Scandal songs.

She did cover Tom Wait's "Downtown Train," which was underwhelming- nobody will ever do that song like Rod Stewart.
    Holy Smokes!

I wasn't sure that anyone else would remember the tracks that you mentioned in both of your posts, specifically, the bolded Scandal tracks and the Danny Wilde track, who also had another AOR hit that I'm sure that you remember but I won't give the track's title away so I can post it later.

They'll be plenty of time to work some of the aforementioned tracks in future entries, which will resume next week -- I'm aiming for bi-weekly entries.

I also concur with you about "Downtown Train". Even though it wasn't written for Rod Stewart, it has the Rod Stewart feel to it and Rod really knocked it out of the park. Believe it or not, Rod Stewart's version of "Downtown Train" was a bigger AOR hit than Pop hit, reaching #1 on the Rock Tracks chart for two weeks and #3 Pop for three weeks.

It's good to see that this thread has been as much fun for you folks as it's been for me. I've had a blast!
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 02-22-2014 at 10:05 PM.

12. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-22-2014)

Holy Smokes!

I wasn't sure that anyone else would remember the tracks that you mentioned in both of your posts, specifically, the bolded Scandal tracks and the Danny Wilde track, who also had another AOR hit that I'm sure that you remember but I won't give the track's title away so I can post it later.

They'll be plenty of time to work some of the aforementioned tracks in future entries, which will resume next week -- I'm aiming for bi-weekly entries.

I also concur with you about "Downtown Train". Even though it wasn't written for Rod Stewart, it feels as if it was. Believe it or not, Rod Stewart's version of "Downtown Train" was a bigger AOR hit than Pop hit, reaching #1 on the Rock Tracks chart for two weeks and #3 Pop for three weeks.

It's good to see that this thread has been as much fun for you folks as it's been for me. I've had a blast!
    "Downtown Train" was a standout track from Rod's later stuff. His work in the late 1980's ended up bringing back his legacy a bit (John Taylor played guitar on Out of Order). That song stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard it and is among my favorites of his catalog- I'm not a major fan of everything, but I was always impressed by his ability to float a melody. "Downtrain Train" will never be done better. Also enjoyed his cover of Robbie Robertson's "Broken Arrow," another tune he made much more accessible through his interpretation of melody.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 02-22-2014 at 10:16 PM.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-22-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    "Downtown Train" was a standout track from Rod's later stuff. His work in the late 1980's ended up bringing back his legacy a bit (John Taylor played guitar on Out of Order). That song stopped me in my tracks the first time I heard it and is among my favorites of his catalog- I'm not a major fan of everything, but I was always impressed by his ability to float a melody. "Downtrain Train" will never be done better.
    "Rythmn of My Heart" from Vagabond Heart was another big Crossover hit that never gains airplay today in any format. But you are right..between the Tonight I'm Yours album and Out Of Order his material was weak by his standards -- "Love Touch", really? I, did, however like "Infatuation" with the Jeff Beck guitar solo and entertaining music video.

"Rythmn of My Heart" from Vagabond Heart was another big Crossover hit that never gains airplay today in any format. But you are right..between the Tonight I'm Yours album and Out Of Order his material was weak by his standards -- "Love Touch", really? I, did, however like "Infatuation" with the Jeff Beck guitar solo and entertaining music video.
    Out of Order is one of my favorite albums- "Lost in You," "My Heart Can't Tell You no," etc. were great for what they were.

Vagabond Heart was pretty good, as you say.

The early to mid 80s were just off, though yes, "Infatuation" rocked, and "People get Ready" also with Beck was a bright spot.

"Love Touch" is about as bad a song as he's done. Just awful, really.

The banjo/beard comment was made by yours truly recently as well lol...

Mr Sixx can enjoy the triple figure up close and personal ticket money I just paid to see him and the boys....what a great band they were in the day.

As a plate warmer to Revering's next post, here's Patty on Letterman back in 1987 performing the Danny Wilde song.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qOhA5wo34Rw

Notice how little she is- looks about 90 lbs wet.

Turn Off Ads?