Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

The first of this week's Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week is from a Band that needs no introduction at all.

Rush - Half The World (1996)

From the superb Test for Echo album, arguably the band's best of the '90s, this track peaked was heavily played in the fall of '96. Unfortunately, Rush's catalog from Hold Your Fire to today continues to be largely ignored by AOR and Classic Rock stations today. Fortunately, the band is set to release the Clockwork Angels CD any day now. The new song Headlong Flight is gaining airplay even on Active Rock stations. Translation: There may be hope for today's Rock radio after all.

Rush - Half The World - YouTube

Fastway - Say What You Will (1983)

If you do not recall this tune by title, more than likely, the catchy guitar riff will jar your memory. This British Hard Rock Band was considered Metal back in the day, but I wouldn't classify it as such today, at least from the standpoint of today's Active Rock Radio Metal, for two reasons:

1)It isn't monotone.

2)One can easily understand the lyrics.

Fastway - Say What You Will (Stereo) - YouTube
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat geek...and proud
    Counterparts is the best 90s Rush album.

Stat geek...and proud
    As a followup on the Rush thing, I heard Clockwork Angels, and it rules. Pick it up Tuesday when it comes out officially.

This week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week takes us back to the 70s. No Cable, internet, smart phones..well, you get the picture.

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized (1973)

I have to admit that I had plum forgotten about this Epic tune until it was mentioned in the thread about the unfortunate passing of Bob Welch. It really begs the question--as was stated in aforementioned thread-- of why the pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac material is virtually ignored on Classic Rock/AOR radio today. It is criminal that Welch wasn't officially inducted into the RRHOF along with the other members of FWMac, as he was obviously an integral member of the band.

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized - YouTube

Michael Nesmith - Cruisin' (1979)

Better known as the "Lucy and Romona and Sunset Sam" song, Michael Nesmith's--yes, the former member of the Monkees--track was/is much better known as the original Music Video, which predates MTV, even though, at least, my local AOR station played the heck out of it well in to the '80s. I also recall it from the days of HBO's Video Jukebox between movies back in the day.

*****Warning*****

I wouldn't recommend this video for viewing by children. It doesn't contain profanity, and is considered, at least by me, mild by today's Prime Time TV standards. Still....

Anyway, the video is a hoot and I strongly advise not viewing it with a beverage, a it may wind up on your keyboard or screen/monitior.

Michael Nesmith - Cruisin' - YouTube
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    This week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week takes us back to the 70s. No Cable, internet, smart phones..well, you get the picture.

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized (1973)

I have to admit that I had plum forgotten about this Epic tune until it was mentioned in the thread about the unfortunate passing of Bob Welch. It really begs the question--as was stated in aforementioned thread-- of why the pre-Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac material is virtually ignored on Classic Rock/AOR radio today. It is criminal that Welch wasn't officially inducted into the RRHOF along with the other members of FWMac, as he was obviously an integral member of the band.

Fleetwood Mac - Hypnotized - YouTube

Michael Nesmith - Cruisin' (1979)

Better known as the "Lucy and Romona and Sunset Sam" song, Michael Nesmith's--yes, the former member of the Monkees--track was/is much better known as the original Music Video, which predates MTV, even though, at least, my local AOR station played the heck out of it well in to the '80s. I also recall it from the days of HBO's Video Jukebox between movies back in the day.

*****Warning*****

I wouldn't recommend this video for viewing by children. It doesn't contain profanity, and is considered, at least by me, mild by today's Prime Time TV standards. Still....

Anyway, the video is a hoot and I strongly advise not viewing it with a beverage, as it may wind up on your keyboard or screen/monitior.

Michael Nesmith - Cruisin' - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Being born at the end of '74, I am too young to remember the golden age of AOR, you know AM radio. But the station that I would really like to hear, is one that would play anything "rock based". In my opinion, that could include pop, soul, heavy metal, classic rock, etc. Loosely, I believe rock based music is ampliphied and played with real instruments. It would include Prince, Stevie Wonder, Billy Joel, Metallica, The White Stripes, Mumford and Son, Queen, Heart and many others. If I could create my own station it would be 20% current, 40% 2000-2011 and 40% everything else. Everything else would be mostly 1970-1999, but would include some of the better and more influencial bands from the 50's and 60's (ie Chuck Berry and The Beatles). I know a lot of young people would have trouble jumping genres and eras, but if this station was done correctly it would be very enjoyable and educational. I think at one point in the mid-80s WEBN may have been close to this format, but hair metal and then grunge changed everything.

Not to keep pimping KEXP, but that station has a good approach in the sense that there are shows that specialize in certain genre's and do little to no crossing over. There is a Reggae show, a Rockabilly show, a mid day current music show, etc. If you want AOR content from 80's and 90's rock, there could be a whole show like that, as it seems like the loosely defined genre in this thread. I think on XM there's a channel called Deep Tracks. I tried it and often though, gosh, I don't really like this guy's top tracks, nor definitely do I like his B tracks either...not always the case though.

It seems to me nowadays that finding an artist's lead tracks is still a great way to enter into the albums other tracks that have worth but wouldn't get the radio airplay, now or in the past. Today's radio doesn't even find the good lead tracks (or singles) from new or semi new artists. That's a "problem". And while there are great singles that have been forgotten, finding their appeal to a greater audience may be a tougher challenge than a music lover would expect. It takes a great DJ and the right market. Today, at least, Rock music is closer to the ground and through non-radio formats (downloads, CDs, podcasts) is able to find those niche markets and somewhat flourish.

The prospect of the i-pod-ification of radio isn't appealing to me, either. I have little interest in hearing, essentially, someone's i pod on shuffle, because pretty often I don't like a good portion of their i pod list. This goes for about anyone's i pod list I'd imagine, even my own! Going from Beatles to Rush to Dinosaur Jr. may be chronological, and look good on paper, but it may also be an auditory kick in the nuts. I don't know what that means, but basically it's bad. The eclecticism of an i pod on shuffle can be a very good thing or a very bad thing. In general, I dislike it for the way it flattens the landscape and has ruined the album format in every genre out there.

Perhaps the overall cause for so much music that get's "left out" is that now there are so many sub genre's to Rock, which is now in it's 7th DECADE.

Basically, on the radio it comes down to finding a DJ you like and trust. I can sit through some stuff I don't like, as long as it's pretty closely related to a theme woven by the DJ. You can either hit shuffle and walk away, calling it "Musical Offerings From Planet Earth Between 1400-2012" or you have to dig in and define what you are offering pretty explicitly. I think doing that leads to greater appreciation by the listener. Whether or not that niche is viable for mass consumption (terrestrial radio) is questionable, especially if you believe the market will demand what is worthwhile. And even many of the niche listeners nowadays demand a broad variety of genre's, so they're likely less loyal anyway. Ha, no easy solution.

Rock may not be dead, but it's days as the preferred niche musical genre for terrestrial radio is over. Frankly, even the new rock that comes out, that I love, isn't THAT appealing (or new as Roy Tucker brings up) so as to warrant top billing on candy pop radio. One element I find missing from new music of many formerly popular genre's is un-ironic love songs. Nobody's got a broken heart anymore, that's for suckers. But the whole classic rock genre was about love, romance, sex, man and a woman, relationships, infidelity, etc. If you see what's popular today, it's R&B and Country that have outlasted rock. Those songs are still about that stuff. Rock, not hardly at all. Except Nickleback. Seriously.

My long time friend has worked for numerous radio stations that have all been bought out by Clearchannel. CC eliminated all of the human help they could and computerized everything. My friend's job is eliminated at the end of the week. They're going to the cheapest way they can reach a mass market in the shortest time. They're doing this with music acts too. When my wife and I heard the new Pepsi commercial with Minaj, we both thought it was Rihanna until we turned around and saw it. So many of these new people all sound exactly the same. There is no identity to many of them now.

this one's not on record...

J.J. Cale - King City (rare) - YouTube

Stat geek...and proud

Does anybody here listen to Class X 88.9? I don't know how the signal is around there or how far it gets because I listen online, but it's quite off the beaten path for FM Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    this one's not on record...

J.J. Cale - King City (rare) - YouTube
    Good tune.

J.J Cale and Russ Ballard are alike in the fact that they are both better known for writing well-known songs that other artists performed. Examples: Cocaine: Eric Clapton and Since You've Been Gone: Head East and Rainbow.

But their own versions of popular songs, and their entire body of work--well known or not--are also very good.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Does anybody here listen to Class X 88.9? I don't know how the signal is around there or how far it gets because I listen online, but it's quite off the beaten path for FM Radio.
    Now that's what I call an AOR Station. What a playlist!

Quality newer Rock, all of the Classic Rock we know and love with deeper cuts than the average Classic Rock station today. Exactly the type of station I was looking for.

BTW, I also checked out KEXP and liked what I heard from the Rock end of things.

Our first entry in this week's edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week is from a band that experienced great success with several tracks on Rock radio during the "aughts" with surprisingly little fanfare. Best known for the 2004 Pop/Rock hit The Reason--which was a radical departure in style for this Alternative Metal band--the band Hoobastank produced a much harder-edged sound than their only Pop hit. I chose this track because it is the one that started it all for them, and it is, IMHO, their signature song.

Hoobastank--Crawling In The Dark (2001)

hoobastank- crawling in the dark - YouTube

Touch--Don't You Know what Love Is? (1980)

This is simply an awesome lost Melodic Rock Track, which was once in heavy rotation on AOR stations. While many recall the song, few can recall the artist. It sounds like a cross between Survivor and Jefferson Starship.

Touch - Don't You Know What Love Is - YouTube

Stat geek...and proud

I'm going to post one...because I love this song so much it deserves to be heard. If classic rock bands still got radio play with new material in 1996 this song could have been a hit. I believe that. It's probably my favorite song ever by this band. And if you like this song...check out the album Purpendicular. Steve Morse on guitar, not Blackmore. Doesn't matter. Fantastic record.

Deep Purple-Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming

Sometimes I feel like screaming Deep Purple - YouTube
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 06-19-2012 at 02:41 AM.

[QUOTE=gilpdawg;2633653]I'm going to post one...because I love this song so much it deserves to be heard. If classic rock bands still got radio play with new material in 1996 this song could have been a hit. I believe that. It's probably my favorite song ever by this band. And if you like this song...check out the album Purpendicular. Steve Morse on guitar, not Blackmore. Doesn't matter. Fantastic record.

Just doesnt feel like purple to me without Blackmore . Morse is a great guitar player but i just cant get get into purple w/o blackmore.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

[QUOTE=cinredsfan2000;2635814]
    Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I'm going to post one...because I love this song so much it deserves to be heard. If classic rock bands still got radio play with new material in 1996 this song could have been a hit. I believe that. It's probably my favorite song ever by this band. And if you like this song...check out the album Purpendicular. Steve Morse on guitar, not Blackmore. Doesn't matter. Fantastic record.

Just doesnt feel like purple to me without Blackmore . Morse is a great guitar player but i just cant get get into purple w/o blackmore.
    It isn't the same, but that doesn't make it bad. Rainbow wasn't Purple, but it was good music. The Dio Years weren't what I call Black Sabbath, but I liked 'em. I guess my point is, regardless of band names, good music is good music (and bad music should be punishable by death).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Turn Off Ads?