Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Anyone checked out any of the "Live from Daryl's House" sessions? Some quality stuff on there.

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/
    I like the one with Rob Thomas.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

While we are discussing RRHOF snubs, here are more notable snubs.

Granted the RRHOF obviously includes artists that AOR stations never played, but this is an overall accurate list.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ame-sucks.html

The Beastie Boys and Laura Nyro are in, but Chicago and KISS are out?! No way, writes journalist/musician Jamie Reno.
    Supertramp?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Supertramp?
    Heck yes! They should have been inducted long ago.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Badfinger?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Webb Wilder--Tough It Out (1992)

We begin this week's edition of Lost Tracks Of The Week with another very likely "I've heard that song before, but I never knew the title or artist" track.

This one is a hybrid rockabilly/straight ahead rocker. And the result was an AOR hit, albeit the only one Webb Wilder ever had. But from everything I've heard, he still enjoys a loyal following and puts on one heck of a live show.

I like this one a lot. Crank it up!

Webb Wilder - Tough it Out - YouTube

Martin Briley--Salt In My Tears (1983)

This awesome track--one of the best breakup songs ever--dates back to MTV's heyday. It serves as a reminder of the days when MTV not only played music videos, but served as a Top 40 Pop/AOR station all in one. And this track received airplay on both formats, though significantly more--what else is new?--on AOR radio.

Martin Briley also received moderate AOR airplay with the title track of his 1985 LP Dangerous Moments, but that was about it for him radio wise. Did I mention that this track is awesome?

The Salt in my Tears by Martin Briley (1983) - YouTube

As always, Rock On, Redzoners!

Adieu from R4Blue.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Badfinger?
    Another good call. The amount of RRHOF snubs are ridiculous.

I actually heard Webb Wilder perform in 1992. Good choice.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Another good call. The amount of RRHOF snubs are ridiculous.
    Although, I agree there are several (maybe ten or fifteen) complete snubs, we cant let everyone who had a great song or one amazing album in RRHOF. It shouldn't be a place for one hit wonders and short lived successes.

I know I will probably get lambasted for this but I am not sure that GNR or The Faces belong in.

The Faces only did 4 albums, like 30 songs total. Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck are both HOFs and deservedly so, but I don't know about The Faces.

GNR. Here is a tough one for me. I am/was their target audience. Appetite For Destruction is, IMO, one of the 10 greatest rock albums ever. Lies is OK at best. Use Your Illusion I and II are both very very good. The Speghetti Incident is a bad cover record and The Chinese Democracy is irrelavent (and not really GNR more of an Axl solo record). So, you have one outstanding record, one (or two depending on how you count Use Your Illusion) very good albums and three more albums that add up to very little. The name GNR has been out over 25 years now and they have put out a total of five albums (six if you count Illusion twice). Is that HOF worthy? I know they are in, but I'm asking.

On the other hand, Rush. I would take time to type out an argument for Rush being in, but I'm just going to say "Geddy+Niel+Alex=Rush=Awesome"
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yup. ELO had 19 top-40 hits over 15 years, and they're definitely considered one of the biggest RnR HoF snubs. The Cure is the biggest snub imho.
    KittyDuran agrees w/The Cure snub. She's OK with the others getting the snub however knowing that more than a few were more pop than rock and also that she's has more of an emotional ties with many, i.e., The Monkees and Duran Duran (D2 was not on that list and I think they qualify). KD will also mention another reason for some of the snubs... Three words "Rolling Stone Magazine". Don't know if their influence is still there but it was early on if KD remembers correctly. So if certain artists were "whipping boys" of RS then sorry, no HOF for you!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Although, I agree there are several (maybe ten or fifteen) complete snubs, we cant let everyone who had a great song or one amazing album in RRHOF. It shouldn't be a place for one hit wonders and short lived successes.

I know I will probably get lambasted for this but I am not sure that GNR or The Faces belong in.

The Faces only did 4 albums, like 30 songs total. Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck are both HOFs and deservedly so, but I don't know about The Faces.

GNR. Here is a tough one for me. I am/was their target audience. Appetite For Destruction is, IMO, one of the 10 greatest rock albums ever. Lies is OK at best. Use Your Illusion I and II are both very very good. The Speghetti Incident is a bad cover record and The Chinese Democracy is irrelavent (and not really GNR more of an Axl solo record). So, you have one outstanding record, one (or two depending on how you count Use Your Illusion) very good albums and three more albums that add up to very little. The name GNR has been out over 25 years now and they have put out a total of five albums (six if you count Illusion twice). Is that HOF worthy? I know they are in, but I'm asking.

On the other hand, Rush. I would take time to type out an argument for Rush being in, but I'm just going to say "Geddy+Niel+Alex=Rush=Awesome"
    I'll agree with the Faces as a questionable HOF pick.

Regarding, GNR, they also have to their credit at least four AOR hits from movie soundtracks and Various Artists CDS--Civil War comes to mind. I believe they are deserving, but not more than others who have been snubbed thus far.

IMHO, that's what is wrong with this process. Example: The Beastie Boys in ahead of ELO? Are you kidding me? Who had a bigger impact on Rock music?

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    KittyDuran agrees w/The Cure snub. She's OK with the others getting the snub however knowing that more than a few were more pop than rock and also that she's has more of an emotional ties with many, i.e., The Monkees and Duran Duran (D2 was not on that list and I think they qualify). KD will also mention another reason for some of the snubs... Three words "Rolling Stone Magazine". Don't know if their influence is still there but it was early on if KD remembers correctly. So if certain artists were "whipping boys" of RS then sorry, no HOF for you!
    R4B also believes that The Monkees and D2 qualify. Believe it or not, both were also considered Rock back in their respective days. D2 was all over AOR radio. And D2, in addition to their Pop Top 40 success, have six top 5 AOR tracks to their credit, with Hungry Like The Wolf spending three weeks atop Billboards Top Rock Tracks chart--higher than it's pop chart peak.

KD is also correct about the Rock Critic/Rolling Stone Magazine factor.

R4B also believes that it is past time for a separate Hall Of Popular Music, instead of consolidating it with the RRHOF

Two tracks from the '90's are featured in this weeks edition of Lost Rock Tracks Of The Week. One by an immensely popular band, and another signed by the same record label as Guns N' Roses, in what proved to be a futile attempt to follow in their footsteps.

Junkyard--All The Time In The World (1991)

As I mentioned earlier, Geffen Records signed this Los Angeles based band to a recording contract in attempt to capitalize on the success of Guns N' Roses, of whom this band was/is often compared with. Alas, after two albums, it didn't work out that way. But, IMHO, it wasn't due to lack of talent. I really didn't get the GNR comparison at all, as they sound more like a harder-edged Black Crowes to me.

This was/is, by far, their most popular song, and was in heavy AOR rotation the Summer of '91. It's still an Ipod favorite of mine. Also, on a personal level, my Mother, who suddenly passed away nearly one year ago at the age of 73, really liked this song, just as she liked quite a bit of AOR. I'm not making this up--She was a character.

This ones for you, Mom!

Junkyard - All The Time In The World - YouTube

Hootie And The Blowfish--Drowning (1995)

This often overlooked track from Cracked Rear View was the only one from said CD to receive heavy AOR airplay without enjoying the Pop/Top 40 success as the other "hits" off the album. Those who own the CD, or are familiar with it, are already aware that this somewhat controversial track--awesome that it is--wasn't/isn't Pop/Top 40 friendly.

Nevertheless, it remains my favorite Hootie And The Blowfish track to this day with it's harder-edged sound.

--------Warning-------

As I stated earlier, this song was considered somewhat controversial--not really in a Political Sense--at the time. So let's not turn this into a Peanut Gallery-type thread.

Also, it does contain one brief word very early in the song that you cannot say on prime time TV. So keep that in mind if children are around.

I was initially hesitant to feature this track. But I have faith in my fellow Redzoners to not take this thread where it doesn't belong.

Hootie and The Blowfish - Drowning (Lyrics) - YouTube

Rock On, Redszone!

Adieu, from R4Blue.

Stat geek...and proud
    Ah, back in the days where radio stations didn't all have the same playlist because they weren't all owned by three companies. The Junkyard song I'm familiar with is called Hollywood. I'm thinking they made a video for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Ah, back in the days where radio stations didn't all have the same playlist because they weren't all owned by three companies. The Junkyard song I'm familiar with is called Hollywood. I'm thinking they made a video for that one.
    Good tune. I remember "Hollywood" and "Simple Man" receiving moderate AOR airplay back in 89'90. They are still together touring and are very popular in Europe and Asia.

JUNKYARD "Hollywood" from the self-titled Geffen Debut - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Thankfully, we have ClassXRadio.

http://classxradio.com/index.php

Thanks again for bringing that to my attention.

Turn Off Ads?