Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragons announce 2012 roster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Dragons announce 2012 roster

There are a few surprises, but none that are involving major players.

A few interesting things I noticed:

-Yorman and Duran were both promoted. I thought Duran might have stayed a bit longer based on his strikeouts, and Yorman based on his age/performance, but apparently not. Perhaps they can get back some prospect value and confidence in a hitter's paradise.

-Cingrani skips up to Bakersfield. I guess he's going to get a trial by fire with regards to starting pitching, as he was a closer up until recently.

-Kyle McMyne in the bullpen. I'm glad they're going ahead and making the transition due to his struggles starting in rookie ball. Hopefully it brings back his value as a prospect.

-Sean Buckley is at first base. Guess they really don't believe in his defensive play, though it may be because Junior Arias is taking up the 3B slot. It'll be interesting to see if Buckley gets time there or if the change is permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    A few interesting things I noticed:

-Cingrani skips up to Bakersfield. I guess he's going to get a trial by fire with regards to starting pitching, as he was a closer up until recently.

-Sean Buckley is at first base. Guess they really don't believe in his defensive play, though it may be because Junior Arias is taking up the 3B slot. It'll be interesting to see if Buckley gets time there or if the change is permanent.
    Cingrani actually started a lot in college. In Junior College he started 21 of 21 games, then as a junior he started 6 games (he only appeared in 6 games), and as a senior he was moved to the bullpen.

Buckley moved because they didn't see him as a third base option. They tried him in the outfield in instructional league, but the results weren't good enough to keep trying it out in the beginning.

Pitching looks a little suspect, but that lineup looks powerful.

Perez SS
    Wright 2B
    Waldrop OF
    Buckley 1B
    Silva OF
    Arias 3B
    O'Shea C
    Bowe CF

It looks like they'll DH with Selsky, Sierra, O'Shea, and starting flotsam needed a break. (If Silva/ Waldrop/ O'Shea are particularly poor defensively, Sierra can move to the OF and the others slide accordingly.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Pitching looks a little suspect, but that lineup looks powerful.
    Pitching should get stronger within the first 4-6 weeks of the season as guys come back from injury/suspension. Drew Cisco, Daniel Tuttle and Jacob Johnson could all be in the Dayton rotation by the middle of May (if not sooner).

I can't seem to remember: did Johnson go the Tommy John route?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I can't seem to remember: did Johnson go the Tommy John route?
    Shoulder.

So Mitch Clarke gets promoted and I guess Ismael Guillon goes back to Billings (although Carlos Gonzalez doesn't, after pitching only 10 innings there)? Interesting. I'm guessing they want to work with Guillon in extended spring.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    So Mitch Clarke gets promoted and I guess Ismael Guillon goes back to Billings (although Carlos Gonzalez doesn't, after pitching only 10 innings there)? Interesting. I'm guessing they want to work with Guillon in extended spring.
    I am pretty sure Mitch Clarke will begin the year on the DL. He tweeted about 11 days ago that he fell asleep in the MRI machine, then yesterday he tweeted something to the extent that 'today could have been a really exciting day'. Yesterday was the last day for the minor league guys, but maybe I am reading too much into that last one.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Catchers: Nick O'Shea; Yovan Gonzalez, Danny Vicioso.
    Infielders: Sean Buckley, Ryan Wright, Juan Perez, Junior Arias, James Ewing.
    Outfielders: Juan Silva, Jefry Sierra, Kyle Waldrop, Steve Selsky, Theo Bowe.
    Starting Pitchers: Justice French, Stalin Gerson, Carlos Gonzalez, Tanner Robles, Radhames Quezada.
    Relief Pitchers: James Allen, Carlos Contreras, Dan Jensen, Ryan Kemp, Kyle McMyne, Erik Miller, Jimmy Moran.
    Lots of names I don't know. But a few that I'm VERY intrigued about. Looking forward to 2012 Dragons.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

No Robert Stephenson? WTH?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    No Robert Stephenson? WTH?
    Lots of older guys who have earned a shot are heading there (including the guys who will be there soon coming off injuries) and will be taking up some of the rotation. I will be surprised if he doesn't get to Dayton at some point this year, but it might not be before June rolls around.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I'll be there Thursday, I just hope the Reds game is close to finished by the time I leave.

Anyone else going?
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

I'm sure the plan this season is to limit the number of innings he throws (120 feels about right) Extend the amount of time he can see by having him pitch in warm weather Arizona in extended spring training, then head to Dayton around mid to late May to get the rest of his innings in before shutting him down for the season. No need to have him start his career by throwing 5-6 innings in the dicey midwest spring weather.

Turn Off Ads?