Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 437

Thread: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

  1. #46
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,182

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The number 1 problem with Bailey, point blank, is health. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a very good pitcher. But until he's able to stay healthy, he gets put below Cueto in my opinion.
    I put Bailey behind Latos, Cueto, and Leake. I don't quite understand why people have always been so low on Leake. He doesn't have the live arm that Bailey does, but he knows how to pitch. I think for years we have been waiting for Bailey to put it all together. At this point I think the Reds are going to stick with Bailey, but Im not so sure he will ever put it all together.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I put Bailey behind Latos, Cueto, and Leake. I don't quite understand why people have always been so low on Leake. He doesn't have the live arm that Bailey does, but he knows how to pitch. I think for years we have been waiting for Bailey to put it all together. At this point I think the Reds are going to stick with Bailey, but Im not so sure he will ever put it all together.
    What indicates Bailey hasn't "put it all together?"

    What indicates Leake "knows how to pitch?"
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  4. #48
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,562

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    What indicates Bailey hasn't "put it all together?"

    What indicates Leake "knows how to pitch?"
    From a statistical standpoint, I'd say the fact that Bailey has continually underperformed his peripherals while Leake has continually overperformed his peripherals. That likely is a sign that Bailey has better stuff than Leake, but Leake is better at utilizing his stuff.

    Also, I think the most casual of baseball fans would draw that conclusion just from watching each of them pitch a game. Leake does a better job of keeping hitters off balance, while Bailey is better at just blowing hitters away. It's pretty obvious, even after just a few innings.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  5. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,808

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    IMO, Homer Bailey is just now beginning to show flashes of his potential. And I keep coming back to this, but 25-26 years old is a little premature to give up on him. I am willing to give him the 2012 and 2013 seasons before I ship him off.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

  6. #50
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,182

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    What indicates Bailey hasn't "put it all together?"

    What indicates Leake "knows how to pitch?"
    My eyeballs and the overall results. Just looking at the basic ERA+ stat, Leake's was 101 and Bailey's highest was 91 two years ago. I don't think anyone who argue that Bailey has better raw stuff. Why is it that with lesser stuff Leake has been a better pitcher?

  7. #51
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,439

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My eyeballs and the overall results. Just looking at the basic ERA+ stat, Leake's was 101 and Bailey's highest was 91 two years ago. I don't think anyone who argue that Bailey has better raw stuff. Why is it that with lesser stuff Leake has been a better pitcher?
    Well first, we need to address that you are using solely ERA to determine "better pitcher".

    In 2010, Leake had a solid ERA, but his WHIP was 1.50. In 2010, Bailey had a similar ERA to that of Leake and a 1.37 WHIP.

    Last year, the main difference between the two was likely just the randomness of when each of their home runs fell. They had the same home run rate per 9 innings and each had a good WHIP as well as very strong K/BB rates.

  8. #52
    Matt's Dad RANDY IN INDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    Posts
    15,268

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The number 1 problem with Bailey, point blank, is health. If he can stay healthy, he'll be a very good pitcher. But until he's able to stay healthy, he gets put below Cueto in my opinion.
    Agree. I would like to see what happens when he is healthy for 3-4 seasons in a row.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

    John Wooden

  9. #53
    Moderator The Operator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    2,717

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Bailey's also never had the benefit of a full season to allow some of the randomness and ebbs and flows of the season to even things out on his stat sheet.

    But even then, I think people undervalue what a 4.50 ERA pitcher who can strike guys out and doesn't walk a lot of batters can mean to a team. And I'd say that's Homer's floor. In my opinion he's already "arrived", he just needs to stay healthy. Here's to hoping...
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

  10. #54
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    From a statistical standpoint, I'd say the fact that Bailey has continually underperformed his peripherals while Leake has continually overperformed his peripherals.
    Under/overperformed what? ERA?

    I think Bailey and Leake, while being different pitchers, provide similar talent/skill/execution/whatever you want to call it.

    Again, I think this is a good thing.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  11. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,722

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Under/overperformed what? ERA?

    I think Bailey and Leake, while being different pitchers, provide similar talent/skill/execution/whatever you want to call it.

    Again, I think this is a good thing.
    I think all of this praise being given to Homer is a lot of wishful thinking.

    He can't stay on the field. Mike Leake is no powerhouse but he was better last year in ERA, hits allowed per nine, walks allowed per nine, innings pitched, and virtually every category except strikeouts.

    Somebody writes that Homer's "arrived?" I don't even think Homer believes that and he would probably say so.

    IMO, Homer is a pitcher with great potential who has been impaired by injury. If he can be truly healthy for a full season, we may see a big improvement. My guess is he'll be in the rotation, my hope is that his shoulder, etc. is sound and he can improve going forward.

    But his past performance hasn't been up to par.

  12. #56
    High five! nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    6,976

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    My eyeballs and the overall results. Just looking at the basic ERA+ stat, Leake's was 101 and Bailey's highest was 91 two years ago. I don't think anyone who argue that Bailey has better raw stuff. Why is it that with lesser stuff Leake has been a better pitcher?
    To me, it boils down to not thinking ERA is a good measure of pitching.

    Anyhow, I think Bailey should be in the rotation.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

  13. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,722

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    To me, it boils down to not thinking ERA is a good measure of pitching.

    Anyhow, I think Bailey should be in the rotation.
    Homer had a 4.43 ERA and threw 132 innings.

    Leake had a 3.86 ERA and threw 167 innings.

    I don't find the difference meaningless.

  14. #58
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,182

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    To me, it boils down to not thinking ERA is a good measure of pitching.

    Anyhow, I think Bailey should be in the rotation.
    I used ERA+ because its more of a baseline comparison tool. Its not the best but it sure isn't the worst.

    When you start to say Player X's peripherals say they should be better your getting into a dangerous game. In Bailey's case people have been claiming that he has arrived or next year is his year for a number of years now. I have a feeling your going to hear the same thing after this season and maybe even after the next.

  15. #59
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,374

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Homer had a 4.43 ERA and threw 132 innings.

    Leake had a 3.86 ERA and threw 167 innings.

    I don't find the difference meaningless.
    How much is that from relievers being effective taking over or not for each guy? How much is that from instead of a 1 run homer it's a 3 run homer? How much of that is scorekeepers' decisions to rule earned vs unearned runs? To put is bluntly, how much of that difference is just flat out luck?

    ERA is not a useless stat IMO...but it's not much better than W's or RBI's.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-02-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

  16. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,722

    Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

    Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    How much is that from relievers being effective taking over or not for each guy? How much is that from instead of a 1 run homer it's a 3 run homer? How much of that is scorekeepers' decisions to rule earned vs unearned runs? To put is bluntly, how much of that difference is just flat out luck?

    ERA is not a useless stat IMO...but it's not much better than W's or RBI's.
    On a teamwide, 2011 season basis, a 3.86 ERA (Leake) would get you between 14th and 15th place in MLB in ERA (between Arizona and Seattle).

    On a teamwide, 2011 season basis, a 4.43 ERA (Bailey) would get you 26th place in MLB in ERA (Colorado).

    The difference between Bailey and Leake was more than a half run per nine inning game. That is not chump change.

    These guys didn't pitch 10 innings. Between them they pitched around 300 innings. The difference of over a half run per game is meaningful.

    And Leake also had a better hits allowed rate and a better walks allowed rate. And he was more durable.

    Over a long season, lots of innings, I'll usually take the pitcher with a better ERA (by more than half a run), better hit rate, better walk rate, and more innings.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-02-2012 at 11:44 AM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25