Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

I give Bailey 3 more starts. If he doesn't have at least 2 quality starts, he is out of the rotation, which he was lucky to make in the first place.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    No, it doesn't mean that.

It means the run prevention unit allowed four funs.

Just how did the "run prevention unit" -- other than Homer himself -- cause the four runs in the first inning tonight?

Homer allowed a walk and three homers.

Please explain how other members of the "run prevention unit" caused the four runs given up in inning one tonight. Thank you.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Would this be a good place to insert the overused "marathon, not a sprint" line?

That was just plain brutal all around.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Would this be a good place to insert the overused "marathon, not a sprint" line?

That was just plain brutal all around.
    10 game spans, that's how I keep sanity. Enjoy the daily aspect of the game, but only evaluate about every 10 games. Keeps me off the anti-depressants
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-09-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Please explain how other members of the "run prevention unit" caused the four runs given up in inning one tonight. Thank you.
    Nothing that couldn't have been prevented by a 9 foot tall outfielder with a 50" vertical.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

High five!

Just how did the "run prevention unit" -- other than Homer himself -- cause the four runs in the first inning tonight?

Homer allowed a walk and three homers.

My point about ERA being a very noisy stat is made even more clearly by tonight's performance.

Peripherals and defense independent stats will measure Homer's night tonight much more negatively than ERA.

Haunted by walks

It's the manager's fault for leaving him in too long.

It's unbelievable how many overreactions there are here after ONE start in a young season.

I'm no Homer apologist. I think he can be successful if he's healthy, but he hasn't proven he can be. If he stinks up the joint for half the season, that's 1 thing. He hasn't done that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's unbelievable how many overreactions there are here after ONE start in a young season.

I'm no Homer apologist. I think he can be successful if he's healthy, but he hasn't proven he can be. If he stinks up the joint for half the season, that's 1 thing. He hasn't done that yet.
    I think it's a bit unfair to say people are overreacting to one start.

There was a healthy debate about Homer this spring. That debate was based on his historical numbers and his poor spring. Many folks, myself included, were and are skeptical that he can be a winning starting pitcher at this stage of his career. (My own concern is whether he has ever become fully healthy.)

Now, in his very first inning, he gets bombed. Three homers and four runs.

So folks are naturally unhappy and concerned. It's hard to be a ninety win team with ordinary (or worse) starting pitchers.

Of course, he will get more opportunities. But after the long debate about Homer, it was disheartening to see him begin the year reflecting previous issues with his pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Secondary stat of the night:

Homer Bailey went more than twice as long tonight as Chapman has ever gone in the Majors.
    This has to be a joke, right? I don't even know how to respond to that. Lets dig up the corpse of Eric Milton, he's thrown longer in games than Chapman too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I think it's a bit unfair to say people are overreacting to one start.

There was a healthy debate about Homer this spring. That debate was based on his historical numbers and his poor spring. Many folks, myself included, were and are skeptical that he can be a winning starting pitcher at this stage of his career. (My own concern is whether he has ever become fully healthy.)

Now, in his very first inning, he gets bombed. Three homers and four runs.

So folks are naturally unhappy and concerned. It's hard to be a ninety win team with ordinary (or worse) starting pitchers.

Of course, he will get more opportunities. But after the long debate about Homer, it was disheartening to see him begin the year reflecting previous issues with his pitching.
    Concerned. Disheartening.

I don't know that people take issue with those words. Sounds reasonable to me.

Agree.

Seriously, folks, chill the hell out.

I expect him to continue doing what he's been doing. Hopefully Chapman bumps him and the charade ends when the bullpen is full strength. Cueto/Latos/Chapman/Leake/Arroyo can probably get it done. Throw Bailey in there for Chapman and suddenly you have a rotation with 2 marginal number 5's. I don't think that will be enough to overtake St. Louis and Milwaukee.
    Last edited by traderumor; 04-09-2012 at 11:27 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Agree.

Seriously, folks, chill the hell out.
    Here's a hypothetical question. You agree with a post saying that Homer should get half a season to prove himself.

What if Homer - or Arroyo for that matter - has say 7 bad starts in a row.

Would you still give each of them half a season?

Just testing your hypothesis.

After the first he pitched well. I was at the game and watched batting practice. The wind was actually blowing in during the Cards BP. Maybe 3 balls were hit out. The ball died in the wind. But no lie when the Cards batted the wind was actually blowing out. When the Reds came to bat in the bottoms of the first the flags were not moving.

Strange yes indeed.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Turn Off Ads?