Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

Latos, Cueto, Leake, Arroyo, Chapman, Francis, Bailey

Francis is a fringe starting pitcher who lacks velocity on his fastball.

Chapman has had a good ST, but probably needs to work on stuff at Louisville, namely his third pitch.

Bailey continues to be erratic.

Also, with all the off days in April, does a 5th starter really matter much at this point?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

Start him in the #4 spot and be done with it.

Bailey showed last year that everything is in place for him to be arguably the second best starter on the Reds 2012 roster behind Mat Latos.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Bailey showed last year that everything is in place for him to be arguably the second best starter on the Reds 2012 roster behind Mat Latos.
    +1. Hope his arm problems are behind him and the Reds will have a solid major league starting pitcher.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

I really would like to dump Arroyo, but it ain't happening. Bailey is in the rotation, while Chapman is in the minors.
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

At some point, someone's going to go down. You send the one you want to send to Louisville and be done with it. I don't like Arroyo at the price they have to pay, but someone's got to throw some serious innings. I hope he can get back to league average.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    At some point, someone's going to go down. You send the one you want to send to Louisville and be done with it. I don't like Arroyo at the price they have to pay, but someone's got to throw some innings. I hope he can get back to league average.
    Only Leake has options, besides Chapman.

So "someone" is limited.

I assume you guys all watch six innings and then shut off the TV.

Because the late innings will be very frustrating for Reds fans under your view.

You don't want Bailey in the bullpen. You don't want Chapman in the bullpen. You don't want any starter in the bullpen, except Francis who strikes out a guy every two innings, maybe.

The Reds have a problem. They have too many starters and too few relievers. Yet you want Bailey in the rotation, Chapman in the minors.

I guess it's Ron Mahay time. Or Andrew Brackman. Or Jeff Francis, a starter who doesn't fan anybody.

And there are two relief vacancies. So it won't only be one AAA reliever. It will be two.

Will be very interesting to see Chapman strike out 13 in a AAA game while the Reds give up five runs in the seventh inning with some AAA pitcher going. Louisville lost tonight in the final four; looks like they will have some excitement during the baseball season in the view of some posters.

Whatever. Maybe Reds will trade Arroyo.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-31-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Because the late innings will be very frustrating for Reds fans under your view.

You don't want Bailey in the bullpen. You don't want Chapman in the bullpen. You don't want any starter in the bullpen, except Francis who strikes out a guy every two innings, maybe.

The Reds have a problem. They have too many starters and too few relievers. Yet you want Bailey in the rotation, Chapman in the minors.

I guess it's Ron Mahay time. Or Andrew Brackman. Or Jeff Francis, a starter who doesn't fan anybody.

And there are two relief vacancies. So it won't only be one AAA reliever. It will be two.

Will be very interesting to see Chapman strike out 13 in a AAA game while the Reds give up five runs in the seventh inning with some AAA pitcher going. Louisville lost tonight in the final four; looks like they will have some excitement during the baseball season in the view of some posters.

We still have a decent bullpen. If Masset's out significant time, may be you reassess things later, but I don't think pushing the panic button is necessary yet.

He'll be in the bullpen. Our thoughts on it really don't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I don't want it to happen, but I could see Bailey traded for a reliever. He's out of options, so he will not be going to Louisville. I can't imagine him going into the pen either. So, either he starts or he'll be traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Last season, the 7th man in the pen, Matt Maloney, pitched in relief 4 times in April, all in blowouts. I agree the Reds need one more reliever, but it's not like whoever that is, will be pitching that many important innings. in fact, I would love to see a 6 man pen all year and use that spot for an extra bat off the bench.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    We still have a decent bullpen. If Masset's out significant time, may be you reassess things later, but I don't think pushing the panic button is necessary yet.
    Reds bullpen is five guys. Five.

One of them, Bray, has had an injured spring. Lecure isn't an every day reliever, more of a multi-inning guy. Has been injured every season.

Current bullpen will result in a massive burden on Ondrusek and Arredondo.
    These guys will need a hospital by some time in May.

Filling obvious holes with existing talent isn't pushing a panic button. It's dealing with reality, rather than ignoring it.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't want it to happen, but I could see Bailey traded for a reliever. He's out of options, so he will not be going to Louisville. I can't imagine him going into the pen either. So, either he starts or he'll be traded.
    That how I see it too. I think he starts, since it gives the Reds the option of keeping Chapman in AAA. Most likely, once the season starts, the Reds will need more starting pitchers than relievers.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Having too many qualified Major League starters is a good problem to have. I'd put Latos, Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey, and Leake in the rotation, send Chapman and Francis to AAA to await the first injury. I'm not sure what kind of contract Francis has, so I might try to trade him for a reliever if someone shows interest. Also, I'd consider having Leake start in AAA until we need a 5th starter to keep an extra bat in the early part of the season.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?