Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Larkin future Reds manager?

Larkin future Reds manager?

Presented (almost) without comment, given the source(s):
    Sports talk host on WLW tonight said he saw our old friend Jim Bowden on the MLB network today.
    Jimbo made a prediction: Barry Larkin will be the next manager of the Reds.
    He didn't say it would happen soon - Bowden suggested he would be happy to see Dusty sign an extension - but said once Barry's kids are grown, he thinks it will come about.
    Bowden's obviously a friend of Larkin's. Is he just making this up out of thin air?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Larkin future Reds manager?

I'm not a fan of guys with no coaching experience becoming mlb manager, that's for sure. If he pays his dues a bit and shows some success at it...sure. But I'm not for it just because he's a popular ex-player.

Supposedly the Reds almost weren't able to draft Joey Votto because Jim Bowden and his cronies couldn't keep their mouths shut about him.

Barry was my idol, but I get the sense that he'd be about as good a tactician the last Reds HOF middle infielder. He's a smart guy, but everything I've heard him says as an analyst is straight out of the old school play book.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspark View Post
    Bowden's obviously a friend of Larkin's. Is he just making this up out of thin air?
    No, absolutely not. Jim Bowden is the epitomy of integrity and character, he would never mislead or be disingenuous in any way.

Sincerely,

Jeff Shaw.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    No, absolutely not. Jim Bowden is the epitomy of integrity and character, he would never mislead or be disingenuous in any way.

Sincerely,

Jeff Shaw.
    Jim Bowden actually said on Colin Cowherd's show this week, and this is a direct quote, "I don't like lying and cheating."

That made me laugh. For soooooooooo many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Jim Bowden actually said on Colin Cowherd's show this week, and this is a direct quote, "I don't like lying and cheating."

That made me laugh. For soooooooooo many reasons.
    Cowherd and Bowden on at the same time?

Why didn't the radio explode?

If it came from Bowden you pretty much know it isn't true.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I was at the game last monday and was sitting behind a guy that looked exactly like Jim Bowden. I punched him in the face just on the off chance it was him.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was at the game last monday and was sitting behind a guy that looked exactly like Jim Bowden. I punched him in the face just on the off chance it was him.
    I was the guy pulling off his leather pants to take to Goodwill.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Barry was my idol, but I get the sense that he'd be about as good a tactician the last Reds HOF middle infielder. He's a smart guy, but everything I've heard him says as an analyst is straight out of the old school play book.
    This.

I want no part of Larkin as a manager.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was once in an elevator with Bowden at a Reds game (he was the GM of the Nats at the time). I should have beaten him with my crutches. I regret that decision.

Larkin as Assistant to the GM or some such. Not as manager thank you.

Turn Off Ads?