Turn Off Ads?

Thread: In case you missed it, Dontrelle Willis retires.

In case you missed it, Dontrelle Willis retires.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/81...oles-farm-team

"(It's) kind of sad in a way because of how good he was. I look at it from the game of baseball," manager Buck Showalter said before Baltimore faced Seattle on Monday night. "We'll see what the future holds for him. I appreciate him giving it a shot with us."

Willis won just 26 games and had 5.02 ERA over his final six seasons in the majors pitching for Florida, Detroit, Arizona and Cincinnati. His final appearance in the majors came on Sept. 25, 2011, when he beat Pittsburgh 5-4 for his only victory of the 2011 season with the Reds. Willis was cut by Philadelphia during spring training and later agreed to a minor league deal with the Orioles. He made just four appearances for Triple-A Norfolk, going 0-3 with an 8.53 ERA.

The 30-year-old Willis had a 72-69 career record with a 4.17 ERA. He was also one of baseball's best hitting pitchers during his time in the majors, batting .244 with nine homers and 39 RBIs.

I wonder if he has considered trying to do an Ankiel and converting to the OF at some A team somewhere.

One last time?
    What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis? - YouTube

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: In case you missed it, Dontrelle Willis retires.

30?!? Geesh. Dude needs to try DH. Far too good of a hitter (with holes but so does Ankiel).

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Agree. If I'm Walt, I call him and offer him a chance, in the minors, to revive his career as a hitter while playing LF. Find out if he can only hit fastballs or if he can hit the other stuff. There's really nothing to lose. And it's not like he hasn't had some success as a hitter in the major leagues. He's had a reputation as one of the better hitting pitchers since he arrived.

Dude is wayyyyy too good of an athlete to hang it up now, IMHO.

We need a lefty bat off the bench,sign him up.
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

It's kind of sad, really. He actually had a pretty good bounceback season with the Reds.

So long Dontrelle. Really had a nice career. I would have thought he could at least be used as a loogy for someone.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Turn Off Ads?