Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

High five!

Re: Homer Bailey - what to do with him?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    No offense, but that statement is simply false.
    I think there's a tremendous difference between falsehood and matters of opinion.

OPS and its elements are the result of many factors. Defense and luck are definitely some of the factors, but they are by no means even the most important or driving factors.
    When one looks at the ratio of PA that end by the pitcher (K, BB and HR) vs. those that end by the defense (balls in play,) one finds defense to be a pretty big part of the game.

Some days, you have Scott Rolen at 3B and some days you have Todd Frazier. One year, you have the 35 year old Rolen and the next you have the 36 year old. Sometimes, a ball in play is a "Texas leaguer" (my favorite baseball term) and sometimes it's a weak flyout to an infielder on the outfield grass.

And this isn't even getting into field condition, defensive positioning, etc.

The other problem is OPS itself which to me, overstates HR and 3B.

It's possible to measure pitching in isolation. There are a variety of ways to do so but it can be done. I think it's reasonable to suggest that Homer is pretty much the same pitcher regardless of the situation.

OPS is a very solid way to evaluate a pitchers effectiveness.
    To me, defense independent stats are more solid.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

"What to do with Homer Bailey?"

Trade him. Dude ain't ever gonna get it. Years and years and he's still learning the basics of how to pitch. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    "What to do with Homer Bailey?"

Trade him. Dude ain't ever gonna get it. Years and years and he's still learning the basics of how to pitch. Unbelievable.
    It's difficult to take posts like this serious when the motives are so obvious....

There are reasons to dislike Bailey. 3 innings (during the game) is not a strong argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It's difficult to take posts like this serious when the motives are so obvious....

There are reasons to dislike Bailey. 3 innings (during the game) is not a strong argument.
    You have your opinion and I have mine. No need to be insulting.

I just don't think Bailey is ever gonna get it. Terrible in crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    You have your opinion and I have mine. No need to be insulting.

I just don't think Bailey is ever gonna get it. Terrible in crunch time.
    Again, jumping on him the moment he gives up 3 runs is a joke. We didnt learn anything in the last 3 innings that we didnt already know about Bailey.

You can have your opinion, not disagreeing.

I was hoping Bailey would pitch well enough to garner some trade interest from other teams. I'd love to unload him, just like I'd love to unload Stubbs.

Outings like this remind us why he has no trade value.

I think we need another few weeks to determine who really needs to be moved out of the rotation- Bailey or Leake. Plus by then hopefully Masset or Bray is closer to returning to the pen.

I would like to see Chapman in the rotation by June, although I'm skeptical as to whether I'll get my wish.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think we need another few weeks to determine who really needs to be moved out of the rotation- Bailey or Leake. Plus by then hopefully Masset or Bray is closer to returning to the pen.

I would like to see Chapman in the rotation by June, although I'm skeptical as to whether I'll get my wish.
    Fully agreed. Except I wish they could just make the decision now. I'm happy to toss a coin between Leake and Bailey and then let them fight it out for the 5th spot for the rest of the season. Give Chapman a few months to prove that he belongs in the rotation. I can't imagine he'll be worse than what we've seen recently from the other two.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Bailey has no presence on the mound. He doesnt own the inside part of the plate, and hitters look very comfortable against him. To have the kind of fastball that he has, he certainly doesn't have the personality to match it. He just has no edge and looks disinterested most of the time. Looks like he'd rather be hunting. Been waiting for things to click but I just don't see the passion.

Let's not over-react. For whatever reason, Bailey has never beaten the Brewers.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Bailey's physical ability is still there and I've never questioned that. His mental makeup is questionable.

I'm willing to wait him out this season to see if the light comes on, but at 26 years old and 4+ years in the bigs, I'm starting to wonder if there are other ways to spend the $2.5 million per.

It's easy to be frustrated. It was a bad outing by Homer, no question. But he's been okay thus far this year. It's not like Mike Leake has been much better this season. More time is needed to suss it out.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 05-09-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    I'm willing to wait him out this season to see if the light comes on, but at 26 years old and 4+ years in the bigs, I'm starting to wonder if there are other ways to spend the $2.5 million per.
    There are other ways, but probably not better ways. Ryan Ludwick signed a $2M deal this year and has a $5M option for next year. Ryan Ludwick is coming off of back to back horrible seasons.

Some of the criticisms about Bailey hear sound a lot like what we used to hear about Kyle Lohse when he was a Red - chokes under pressure, good talent, questionable mental makeup, isn't ever going to figure it out, etc. While I don't necessarily disagree with some of these comments, I'm not at all confident that Bailey won't end up as a really good pitcher if he's traded.

Turn Off Ads?